Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • monkey wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Interesting read. I always go back Nd forth on the nuke angle.

Have had the wind farms are unreliable angle play out here in SA. Think I posted about it.

Given how the energy is in a "market" and how it all played out due to a line going down, working out who to blame was a mess.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They should just enact my policy. Force building companies to dedicate 40% of roof space on new builds to solar panels. Mini power plants built all over the place.
  • I think that's it, renewables have never been given a fair crack.
    The gov cancelled the buy back scheme on solar panels, now it's just given back to the grid making retrofitted solar an unaffordable option for home owners.

Likewise that sand bar tidal thing off Wales was canned (believe it has been funded again). Yet the Gov pushed through fracking which has proven to be a financial disaster because they cant go a few days without causing an automatic shut down.
    Even if fracking working it contradicts their new policy of banning new builds having gas supplies. Another policy that only helps the environment if more electricity is renewable.

Places like Spain are looking to go 100% renewable by 2050 by utilising the best tech for them, mainly solar. Some South American countries are doing the same, they have space and sunlight so solar fields are logical.

We are an island nation, we should be building tidal shit. If it's not good enough we should heavily invest in it until it is. The moon ain't going anywhere.

If the human race survives the next 50-100 years then it will be those nations that invested in renewables now that will be the richest, the new Saudis.
  • Facewon wrote:

Interestingly both articles frame the other option as being too complicated and expensive to be viable. I think the chances of us all getting our shit together to go fully renewable in the time we need to is completely unrealistic. So I’m in favour of new nuclear plants in the U.K. Unfortunately we can’t even do that without fucking it up.
  • It's silly to dismiss nuclear. Silly journalist.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Also, who gives a shit about the cost?
  • monkey wrote:
    I think the chances of us all getting our shit together to go fully renewable in the time we need to is completely unrealistic. So I’m in favour of new nuclear plants in the U.K. Unfortunately we can’t even do that without fucking it up.

You think we can't build renewable infrastructure in time so we should build something that takes even longer?
  • No I think we have limited time to put stuff in place to keep the lights on and save the planet. And that renewables needs a hundred other things to happen for it to be viable. Stuff like efficient and flexible decision making between local and national branches of govt across the whole UK to support a patchwork of non-constant energy supplies. Nuclear *just* needs some whopping great power stations.
  • What if we just nationalised it?
  • That doesn't sound very straightforward either.
  • Easy, just seize the means of production.
  • It's silly to dismiss nuclear. Silly journalist.

Actually, "silly" former greens senator.

He's no dummy. One of the few decent pollies we had.

Its interesting where both articles diverge on a couple of specific things.

1. Health/deaths caused by nukes. First article hangs it's hat on deaths directly caused by reactors going wrong. Second looks at after effects.

2. Ludlam, in the second, talks about the cost and issues with French reactor. (written in 2015).
    First article talks about how much money it's saving.
  • In a world threatened with climate change it seems almost trivial to talk about deaths occured thus far. Also, again, who cares about monetary cost?
  • It really is hard to overstate how important being carbon neutral is at this juncture. Ok, so you have to build the thing and transport stuff etc but nuclear is really really really carbon neutral.
  • It is certainly preferable to fracking and sucking Saudi cock.
  • In a world threatened with climate change it seems almost trivial to talk about deaths occured thus far. Also, again, who cares about monetary cost?

Well surely there's a limit to that argument? I don't want to be the guy being all centrist, but if we call ludlams stats accurate then 10s of thousands of long term illnesses and birth deformaties isn't nothing.

Especially extrapolated.

I mean I'm with you on the cost not being the primary concern, but we still live in a world where it matters, so we can't just go all mmt when we feel like it.

• Thorium isnt viable yet?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Well it's hard to predict what'll be what. It seems a no brainer that climate change is going to be the most expensive thing ever by some margin, and it seems probable that millions if not billions and possibly everyone might die. 

That the Green Party are against nuclear as either a full or part solution is frankly insane at this stage. They're not really facing the reality of the very things they campaign for. It's now about damage limitation and if that involves a controlled burn then so be it. It's not to say we shouldn't be pursuing better methods but it's very proven stopgap and time is not on our side.
  • Again, if time is not on our side, why put our efforts into something that will take years to begin producing power when we can implement renewables within weeks/months to make a difference right now.
  • We should be doing a combination of all of them and not dismissing any.
  • Also, I can't remember if this has been posted but fair play to China and India for this.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/ames/human-activity-in-china-and-india-dominates-the-greening-of-earth-nasa-study-shows

Some good news in a swamp of nightmares.
  • Well it's hard to predict what'll be what. It seems a no brainer that climate change is going to be the most expensive thing ever by some margin, and it seems probable that millions if not billions and possibly everyone might die. 

That the Green Party are against nuclear as either a full or part solution is frankly insane at this stage. They're not really facing the reality of the very things they campaign for. It's now about damage limitation and if that involves a controlled burn then so be it. It's not to say we shouldn't be pursuing better methods but it's very proven stopgap and time is not on our side.
    I think properly tackling it will break the money system. This poor country needs this tech to stop millions migrating to this rich country or to keep that county producing a needed product. Poor country can’t afford it, who pays? Everyone is going to be trillions in debt to everyone else.
  • We should be doing a combination of all of them and not dismissing any.

This is the Green response to that:

"It might sound reasonable to say that climate change is so urgent, that we need to use all energy options to address it. . But there's a fixed pot of money, and a
    fixed amount of political will.

"If the government is putting money into nuclear, it gives the sign to investors that it's still serious about nuclear, then that means that money isn't going into the kind of supergrid that we need with Europe, and into serious investment in renewables and energy efficiency.

"If we were to make a serious investment in energy efficiency, properly capitalise a Green Investment Bank that would be allowed to lend immediately, put billions into, for example, a street-by-street insulation programme, or really invest in renewables, we wouldn't need nuclear. "

• In contrast to new nuclear power plants, renewable energy and energy efficiency projects are cheaper, quicker, and crucially safer, ways of meeting our energy needs and emission reduction targets.
  • Meanwhile, our supposedly flash Murdoch rag, The Australian, has been rehashing a non story about the BoM fudging numbers.

Chris Kenny, liberal shill and general neorichassholery defender, has had an IPA chick on in the last few weeks, making the same claims she did in 2012 and then 2014...

https://www.desmogblog.com/jennifer-marohasy

This article is from 2014, note that it mentions how extensively the BoM have responded. 2 press releases. A full report on the site and ALL the raw data is still on the site......

Literally today, in 2019, Kenny is on his TV show and Twitter going on about trying to get someone on from BoM to explain the "anomalies" to him. As if he's genuinely wanting to inform viewers.

What a fucking prick.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/mar/04/midnight-in-chernobyl-adam-higginbotham-manual-for-survival-kate-brown-review

I'm with Ludlam. Unless thorium salt or ITER/tokamak fusion becomes viable, the industry has a lot of trust to rebuild and to be honest, a pile of low bids (c.f Apollo) in the energy market where profit is king precludes giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Nationwide rooftop solar + batteries + wind + hydro + geothermal + solar collectors + energy efficient housing design + smart street scale grids + learning to leave appliances off more often will need to take precedence over nuclear.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, regarding the just build more nuclear power stations argument, I heard a really interesting report on R4 a couple of months ago. It turns out that just like water and gas, even though it's electrons going down a cable, it needs something to push it, albeit is an electrical force rather than physical for water and gas, so power stations can't just be plonked anywhere you like that's out of sight, they have to be close enough to the sources of demand they're going to generate the power for.

Which inthe UK makes the case for wind and tidal even stronger since we're surrounded by a lot of both.

I used to be a much stronger advocate of nuclear power but I find that's waning over time, from the way they're tendered and built for profit and everything that shouldn't bring with it but always does, to the disposal of the waste, which we have no idea how to deal with since we don't build feeder reactors, just giant underground cave networks in Scandinavia where they have to work out how to make a danger of death signpost that someone would be able to understand in 20000 years time when they find the waste site. It seems like better alternatives are available now, mass localised rooftop solar, onshore and offshore wind and tidal generation.

I can only assume we are not pursuing these things more urgently from government level because they are lobbied to fuck by the fossil fuel and nuclear industries.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    I can only assume we are not pursuing these things more urgently from government level because they are lobbied to fuck by the fossil fuel and nuclear industries.

Well, according to the pro nuke guy, it's fossil fuels transitioning to renewables that's giving nukes the bad name.

I'm a long way from being across it all, hence I tend to enjoy reading the pros and cons on nuke stuff.
  • China is kind of making up for lost time and pretty much now leading the world in trying to reduce CO2. The benefits of a dictatorship I guess. They're investing in all of it, including 30 reactors that are being built. I'll try and dig up some reports on their findings.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!