101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Apollo Peed.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Anyone who makes any choice based on the anthropomorphosis of animals is a fucking idiot, let alone a choice is big as diet

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do love animals. (I realise some people would find that hypocritical, but that's another argument.) It is abundantly clear that animals have feelings, and can suffer. They don't have feelings as complex as ours, they aren't as intelligent, but they are not emotionless meat machines. I'm fucking fed up of people wheeling out this shite, 'you can't anthropomorphise' as though we are somehow magically different, in some way other than intelligence. We are just animals too. Yes, sheep are fucking useless animals who probably would not exist in the numbers they do without us, but that does not give us the right to treat them badly. If anything, their lack of intelligence and our insistence on maintaining huge populations gives us a greater responsibility to make sure they have good lives.

Which takes us to your argument about market share. The poor treatment of animals has largely come about because of the requirement to meet massive demand. So, actually, people stopping eating meat entirely does help.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You can care about the welfare of an animal without applying anthropomorphosis to it. What I mean by that word is projecting distinctly human traits and characteristics to an animal. If others misuse the word to try and state that animals cannot feel so it's ok to cage them, then they are fools, apologists or both

Eating meat and caring for animals are not diametrically opposed and you're not a hypocrite for doing both. I think I'm in the same bracket. I strongly disagree about conditions though, running a business you talk about yield, even with a smaller market, you'd require a larger yield. The methods came about through desire to improve profit, not to satisfy demand

By spending your money on stock that has had better standards of husbandry then you actually send that message to the big factories, by spending nothing you become an irrelevance to them. By buying cheap you encourage that behaviour. Unfortunately many people will believe that meat should be eaten twice a day, and that to afford this they need to buy cheap

Removing the stigma that goes along with veganism/vegetarianism is a good thing as it will encourage people to eat meat less, if that means they can afford to buy a better cut but maybe twice a week target than twice a day, then imo that's the entirely right message to send to the major retailers and the manufacturers. They are the people who ultimately decide how much the farmer can spend per head of stock

We have an unwritten contract with our domesticated animals, one that many of us (myself included sometimes) are in a severe breach of. The price they pay for our convenience I suppose (not a mitigating statement, an indictment).
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But Quorn can still fuck off though. It's the spam, the turkey twizzler, the herta hotdog of the vegetarian world. It encourages people not to cook, not to think about what they are cooking, and not to shop properly imo and all that
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    ... by spending nothing you become an irrelevance to them....
    No.
  • I just trust that Captain Birdseye fella with all my meat needs.  He always seemed a decent sort, always happy to take any kids out for a jaunt on his boat, would feed you until you passed out... I'm sure he wouldn't want anything going in us that he didn't personally approve of.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Did you think Tampax care what men think of their products?
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Did you think Tampax care what men think of their products?
    Men aren't a potential buyer. They do care what women who only use towels think of their product.

cockbeard wrote:
    You can care about the welfare of an animal without applying anthropomorphosis to it. What I mean by that word is projecting distinctly human traits and characteristics to an animal. If others misuse the word to try and state that animals cannot feel so it's ok to cage them, then they are fools, apologists or both
    Apologies if I've misread your post, but it read to me like yo felt all vegetarians outside of those who just don't like the taste and texture of meat are guilty of this. Humour me; which human traits, specifically ones that animals are incapable of, do some people project onto animals?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    But Quorn can still fuck off though. It's the spam, the turkey twizzler, the herta hotdog of the vegetarian world. It encourages people not to cook, not to think about what they are cooking, and not to shop properly imo and all that

This is utter bollocks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, how is cooking Quorn somehow worse for encouraging people 'not to cook' than meat? It's not a ready meal, it still needs to be turned into a dish with other ingredients. Arguably, Quorn involves more work than, say, mushrooms. It's an ingredient, it's no different to cook than any other ingredient.
  • Real veggies use TVP.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Andy wrote:
    Humour me; which human traits, specifically ones that animals are incapable of, do some people project onto animals?

aed7dd7c315e78a3fd44c97f740a7e10.jpg
    a5cd416aaa14c159c1866dcf4d422a82.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Firstly shit like this

all-animals-want-to-live-food-where-do-you-draw-9684256.png

Why is one animal too "cute" to eat, a lot of the creatures on the left of that line are apex predators

Also, oh it's smiling. No it isn't smiling, that's the shape of it's face

Then we get to the alienness of certain creatures. Many people feel quite at ease eating fish, I can only imagine it's because they don't interact with fish regularly, and they are so very different in body shape from mammals that it seems less difficult to eat them, yet extend that a bit further and people get grossed out by eating insects, presumably because they are too alien to consider being compatible. Maybe that's down to hollywood and insects and spiders having been used as horror tropes for so long

Also a vegetarian by definition isn't a potential purchaser of meat, unless I've also misinterpreted what we mean by vegetarianism
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There's nothing anthropomorphic about that poster.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Mal0wner wrote:
    Real veggies use TVP.

Strangely I quite like that stuff, needs an overnight marinade realistically but for some reason I don;t mind it. Tofu is also ok, it's just quorn, maybe it's irrational, maybe it's because I burnt it once and the taste lingered so long I can't eat it now without a taste memory of the burnt stuff coming back
  • Cuteness isn't anthropomorphising. You might have a point if you want to have a go at meat eaters, but vegetarians aren't hypocritical about which animals are fair game. Also, all animals do want to live. All living things want to live. It's instinct.

Being unwilling to eat an insect because of how it looks isn't anthropomorphising. Nobody eats cows because of how human they look.

So, you say you don't misuse the word anthropomorphising, but you've misused it for most of your post (I'll give you the smiling one, but it's pretty rare) and you've spectacularly failed to link it to any form of vegetarianism.

Finally, if people are vegetarian purely on the basis of how animals are reared, then they most certainly are a potential buyer of meat if all animals were well treated and humanely killed.
  • trippy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Humour me; which human traits, specifically ones that animals are incapable of, do some people project onto animals?
    aed7dd7c315e78a3fd44c97f740a7e10.jpg a5cd416aaa14c159c1866dcf4d422a82.jpg

Who's your favourite dog in this then? I like the Alsatian with the ale back left.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon the corgi looks like more of a wag.
  • I like the camp one. Shetland Collie, maybe?
  • Scooby Doo is looking pretty smug these days.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not surprised with all of that TV money he's got rolling in. Plus, he has a night off from Shaggy.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    There's nothing anthropomorphic about that poster.
    People anthropomorphising certain animals because of their familiarity with them is what prompts that poster to be created, at least the line to be placed where it is. Cannibalism is bad because of the risk of disease transmission, I imagine that's why pigs were forbidden in some abrahamic religions, because pork smells and feels so much like human flesh, however our perceived relationship with a species doesn't make them human
    Yossarian wrote:
    I mean, how is cooking Quorn somehow worse for encouraging people 'not to cook' than meat? It's not a ready meal, it still needs to be turned into a dish with other ingredients. Arguably, Quorn involves more work than, say, mushrooms. It's an ingredient, it's no different to cook than any other ingredient.

It encourages people to not know where their food comes from. I don't think that all veg and animals should only be sold whole and the everyone should be a butcher, but you do have inner city kids who think that beef comes not from a cow but from a freezer. We display meat cleaned and sanitised because it encourages people not to think about where that comes from. A lot of people that only buy pre cut steaks and breasts, might well turn away from meat if it looked like a cuddly cute animal instead, billy bear ham being the strange exception, that would be a good thing. It might make meat a luxury, an event, something you spend a little money on, and by doing so take money away from factories and put it into farmers hands instead
  • They all look a bit lairy - except for the Bassett Hound in the specs.

He was just trying to enjoy a quiet pint, then these twats rolled up, took over the pool table, changed the TV channel from the horse racing, and started blaring endless fucking Kasabian songs on the jukebox. A nice night ruined.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    People anthropomorphising certain animals because of their familiarity with them is what prompts that poster to be created, at least the line to be placed where it is.
    Poppycock.

cockbeard wrote:
    Cannibalism is bad because of the risk of disease transmission, I imagine that's why pigs were forbidden in some abrahamic religions, because pork smells and feels so much like human flesh...
    Dynamite.
  • I agree with some of the broad strokes of what you're saying cocko and I relish a challenge. That said, fuck carrying a whole cow back from the shops. No matter how cute it is.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Cuteness isn't anthropomorphising. You might have a point if you want to have a go at meat eaters

I do want to have a go at the majority of meat eaters, but I feel the need to point out that excluding yourself from the market means you have no influence over that market

Cuteness is anthropomorphising, it absolutely is. It's projecting a human emotion onto an animal by virtue of how it looks

hqdefault.jpg

This fucker hasn't got big eyes because it wants to mimic infant human face proportions to appeal to your sympathetic side. It's nocturnal, it needs big eyes to see what it's doing

I would love to see people learning slaughter and butchery, not to appeal to some kind of bloodlust, to teach them where that cutlet comes from, and to respect the life that they have taken and to use as much of that creature as possible, out of respect for it
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not sure why that is dynamite, or the other is poppycock

This is what is genuinely offensive

MhJmN8s.jpg

The processes required to sell food this cheap
  • It doesn't matter why it's got big eyes, and people don't just find big eyes cute because of babies. Besides, lambs are cute, and we eat them. Believing an animal to be cute isn't projecting an emotion onto them, it's just having an emotional response.

I don't think you even know what point you're trying to make, you're chasing yourself in circles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!