101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Indeed. Like I said, I don't really listen but there's no denying their back catalogue is impressive and they know how to put on a good show.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Everlong. Thought it was Everlast. So I knew the name of one song.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Colour and the Shape is solid from start to finish. I liked the first album at the time as well.

Fun fact (assuming I'm remembering correctly): Dave Grohl played every instrument on the first Foos album.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm checking Wikipedia here, I am correct except for one guitar part, furthermore the first album was recorded in a week. Impressive stuff.
  • I've seen a few songns of Radiohead's set at Glastonbury and it has me very excited to see them in Glasgow, especially as Johnny's on rare form with his solo and lead work. Great to hear them injecting new life into songs like Lucky 20 years on
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Fun fact (assuming I'm remembering correctly): Dave Grohl played every instrument on the first Foos album.

You are correct. Foo Fighters wasn't a band initially, it was just him, and wasn't supposed to become a thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I've seen a few songns of Radiohead's set at Glastonbury and it has me very excited to see them in Glasgow, especially as Johnny's on rare form with his solo and lead work. Great to hear them injecting new life into songs like Lucky 20 years on

Petridish did a nice review of OKNOTOK over on the Graun:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/22/radiohead-ok-computer-oknotok-1997-2017-review-prescient-and-correct

My favourite line:
    Muse [...] built an entire career on the moment 2min 45sec into Paranoid Android, when the distorted guitar riff kicks in.
  • Remember when Muse were good? Halcyon days.
  • I still kinda like them for all their goofy kitsch. They write terrible songs but I like Matt's guitar lines frequently.
  • Much like the Foo Fighters the hype around Muse became to much for me to stomach.
    The fucking Jo Whiley "oh my god so powerful" shit.

I like the odd Muse track but I have no idea how anyone can sit through an entire album of it. The epic nature of it all loses meaning without some breathing space.
  • @Yoss Cheers, that's a good take on OKNOTOK, better than Pitchfork's. I like Petridis a bunch. Think the mixing is occasionally off on the remaster, Airbag seems to have lost all its braggadocio but stuff like Let Down and and Subterranean Homesick Alien sound better to my ears. Album never gets old to me though, even stuff like Karma Police is still full of details I find myself picking over.
  • Much like the Foo Fighters the hype around Muse became to much for me to stomach.
    The fucking Jo Whiley "oh my god so powerful" shit.

I like the odd Muse track but I have no idea how anyone can sit through an entire album of it. The epic nature of it all loses meaning without some breathing space.

The pomp is exactly why I like it, pretentious wank rock with towering guitar solos and the worst lyrics known to man. Any breathing room would shatter the incredibly brittle illusion.
  • Breathing room can still be wanky. Ref November Rain, the ultimate in wank rock.
  • Soldiers Poem on Black Holes, utter piss
  • Tempy wrote:
    I still kinda like them for all their goofy kitsch. They write terrible songs but I like Matt's guitar lines frequently.

I checked out after Black Holes and Revelations, which is wow, over a decade ago now. Apparantly there is a new album next year.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I could never take Muse seriously, bless 'em.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm willing to bet that was written by a person who hated Kid A because it was too weird.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not my opinion btw, though it did amuse.
  • Yeah, you should hate it because it's shit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Oh Dante.
  • Muse are good live, largely because of the big nature of their songs. Translates well to stadium shows.
  • I mean I'm trolling, but also lets not pretend that when it came out that a lot of people didn't think it was shit.

The Guardian's review awarded it 2 stars, which is the same score they gave to Billie Pipers Walk of Life, which is generous, since I'm sure we'd all agree that Kid A isn't a patch on that.

I'll include the review, since it's short:
    It's difficult to believe that Radiohead once made The Bends, a rock record with power-chords, choruses and a Turtlewax production job. Even listeners raised on Krautrock or Ornette Coleman will find Kid A a mystifying experience. Thom Yorke rejects the notion that the disc was designed to be "challenging", but he didn't explain why it sounds like a score composed for an experimental dance troupe. It also fails to sweep away preconceptions about Radiohead, pandering to the worst cliches about their relentless miserabilism. It's an album that comes at you in fragments - the hesitant church organ of Motion Picture Soundtrack tumbling into a pastiche of celestial bliss with choirs and harps, the "overheard" orchestral snatches in The National Anthem prefacing a Mingus-like splurge of jazz anarchy. The lyrics, too, sneak out like cloaked assassins: "I laugh until my head comes off". For sheer awkwardness, it breezes off with the gold medal. Still, it does make OK Computer sound like Abba's Greatest Hits.
    Adam Sweeting
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have no idea who Muse are.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I wish I was Kow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean I'm trolling, but also lets not pretend that when it came out that a lot of people didn't think it was shit.

So what? They were wrong then, and the passage of time has only proven how wrong they were.
  • Even DS likes Kid A, I think initial reactions were a bit of a knee jerk to be honest.

There were people this week, on the release of Man of War after 20 years in the vaults, who were acting like the band have done nothing good for those two decades. An inability to accept that they moved on.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I mean I'm trolling, but also lets not pretend that when it came out that a lot of people didn't think it was shit.

So what? They were wrong then, and the passage of time has only proven how wrong they were.

I'm free to let people have their own opinions, but personally Kid A is a top 5 album of all time ...
  • Eh, it's been jerking for 17 years for me, don't know about DS.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm free to let people have their own opinions, but personally Kid A is a top 5 album of all time ...

It wouldn't make my top 5 Radiohead personally.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!