101 Things that get on our tits but don't actually matter in the slightest.
  • AJ wrote:
    What can you do? They still seem a bit pointless as anything but a toy (and alarm clock) to me.

I do like the Billy Bass, though.

The potential is quite big I guess. It depends what other companies, like with Xbox, will do with it. It should greatly cut the cost of tech for blind people. Only a matter of time before they add cameras and then who knows what that and advanced machine learning could do. Try and get you to buy stuff, probably, but still.

So they're not really generally useful now?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Andy, are you sure you want to enter this conversation around lounge wear and under garments? Are you absolutely sure?
    Absolutely. I’m unwaveringly comfortable in my choices in that regard, more importantly, I’m right.

AJ wrote:
    Firstly, I'd assume none of us wear a dressing gown out of the house.
    I was under the impression that the conversation had moved on from criticising the wearing of onesies to work, to just criticising onesies.

AJ wrote:
    Secondly, dressing gowns server their purpose far better than onsies as they can both be removed more easily and allow you to put items of clothing on without removing them.
    That’s one purpose of them, but one I would argue that is at the very bottom of the list of the very few people who even consider it.

AJ wrote:
    Onsies are for lounging around the house in, which is what jogging bottoms and sweatshirts are for. Well, they're for exercise purposes, really, but for me that's their purpose.
    Huzzah for leisurewear but, as you point out, that’s not it’s purpose (interesting that you are rigid on the purpose of some items, but not when it doesn’t suit your point). Jogging bottoms and sweatshirts also, crucially, may match the physical comfort of a onesie, but completely lack the psychological comfort.

AJ wrote:
    Also, I'd guess a lot of people (like me) own bath robes, rather than dressing gowns, which serve a slightly different purpose.
    I see we’re being pedantic. Since one is an almost completely defunct item of clothing, I don’t know anyone who means that when they use the phrase. ‘Bathrobe’ is, as far as I’m concerned, an Americanism that did not exist in our vocabulary until popular culture made us aware of the ridiculously oversized white things that people steal from hotels.

Everyone I’ve ever met who owns a terry-towelling robe calls it a dressing gown, and wears it neither while getting dressed nor for drying themselves out of the bath. They wear it for lounging around the house, over their pyjamas, especially on Christmas morning. It’s a daft garment, inferior to the onesie.
  • I wear my robe when coming out of the shower. It’s a good stop-gap garment post-shower, pre-breakfast. Means I eliminate the chance of getting bean juice or some such on my shirt. Or I wear it when I want to chill on the sofa but feel a bit chilly.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s not what I use my dressing gown for except on the very rare occasion that I’m interrupted going to or from the shower.
  • I tend to walk around naked given the chance.
  • We know! ;-)
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I have a camouflage Slanket because I'm a real man.
  • I'm confused by the people Andy knows with dressing gowns. If they don't wear them post shower, or getting dressed, when are they wearing them?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Up t'mill.
  • I'm confused by the people Andy knows with dressing gowns. If they don't wear them post shower, or getting dressed, when are they wearing them?

Lounging around the place. Scotland is cold. I wear my dressing gown quite a lot when the heating is off. It's good cos you can undo it when you get a bit hot.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Or I wear it when I want to chill on the sofa but feel a bit chilly.
    And, for that purpose, they are inferior to a onesie. Too many bits getting in the way (and large areas letting in the cold). I’d imagine they’re also inferior to a onesie for eating breakfast in, for much the same reason.

I'm confused by the people Andy knows with dressing gowns. If they don't wear them post shower, or getting dressed, when are they wearing them?
    I did explain in the post you’ve only partially read.
  • I've only just realised they're called dressing gowns because some weirdos get dressed while wearing them. Dressing gowns are for not getting dressed.
  • I don't have either but think I'd go onesie over dressing gown. Seems cosier and a smidge less on the Arthur Dent side of lame.
  • Rubbish after a shower though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How do you get the rubbish to stay on?
  • This is all dressing gowns in my head.

QlaS8Ao.jpg
    Rubbish after a shower though.

I guess so if that's your thing.
  • Frosty wrote:
    This is all dressing gowns in my head. QlaS8Ao.jpg
    Rubbish after a shower though.
    I guess so if that's your thing.

It's more like this:

01_Flair_Robe.jpg
  • AJ wrote:

So they're not really generally useful now?

Probably best to ask someone who's got one but they're at least good for controlling stuff.

One of the parents at my kid's school was telling me his little boy bought a load of videos by just saying "yes please" every time it asked him if he wanted to buy stuff. Think his dad was having a shower at the time. They're meant to recognise voices to know who's got access but it takes time to train.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • We've got a google mini in the office and it's pretty useful for managing our shared calendar, adding shit to the stationary order list, playing tunes, setting reminders, asking trivia for bants when you're all bored, oh and the broadcast message thing is great if you're in the shop and you want to ask if anyone wants anything.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Arthur Dent is way cooler than a onesie.

o/

Nail meet hammer.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • 3 bottles of conditioner, 1 bottle of kids bubble bath, 6 bottles of fuck knows what and not a single bottle of shampoo. I think.
  • Charcoal cleaning scrub. WTAF?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Is that for making that clean coal that Trump keeps banging on about?
  • Take two lumps of coal into the shower? Not me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!