Reasons to be cheerful
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like the concept but I’d pay money not to have any of them on my wall.
  • Some pretty brutal visual satire there. I like.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I thought I recognised them. I used to follow him on twitter cos he was always chatting at Limmy
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just watching Hotel Transylvania 3 with my lad and the fish really brightened up my week. Then this happened...

Pfft.

• Just finished a 12 hr stint at work, whiskey, doob when home, missus at weekend. Probably touch myself too. Sweet.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Shuttleboard. I think that's what it's called anyway, they've got it in a bar at Canary Wharf.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Two weeks without touching a cigarette now. I'm vaping it (shudder) but kinda happy with myself after smoking 20 a day for 15 years.

That money saving though.
  • Vape wanker
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If there is one improvement anyone should make it is give up the cigs.

There do seem to be a few who have the genetics to deal with it , but not many.

I'm glad I never smoked. I don't under-estimate how hard it is to kick however. My brother who is a pig headed git tried several times to give them up.He seems to have kicked it now at 50. Knowing his will-power it gives me an inkling as to how hard it must be. I know I wouldn't have the control to stop.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My grandparents gave up around the age of 50. 
    They gave up because my Mmum was super strict about my brother being around any form of smoking after he was born.

35 years later and they are still with us. There is no way they would still be around now if they hadn't have quit. My Grandad was on 40 a day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There seems to be a fair old bit of evidence that the body can recover a great deal after stopping - obvs the earlier the better but it seems that it's never too late.
  • They still suffer somewhat from the side effects. My Granny had several heart ops over the years.
    My Grandad's legs are awful with circulation and he is very prone to any form of chest infection.

They can't complain too much though. (although of course they do, as is their prerogative being in their 80s)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Genuinely the only reason I've done it is me dad having a heart attack. He's smoked since he was 14, so for 54 years. It's a massive wake-up call
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bravo, keep it up DS, which is also a benefit to quitting.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I smoked on Saturday after over two months without, had maybe 6. Back off them (and on the vape) again now, I really struggle if I'm in the pub. Good luck DS.
  • I'll be off 'em soon I think. Consumption is lowering with all the gym visits.
  • I gave up for ~3 years then fell hard following my breakup incident. I need to quit them again.

Props to you, DS.
  • That money saving though.

Yep. I found for ages I kept wondering if I had enough cash on me for fags out of habit. Took me a while to not worry about it.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    They still suffer somewhat from the side effects. My Granny had several heart ops over the years. My Grandad's legs are awful with circulation and he is very prone to any form of chest infection. They can't complain too much though. (although of course they do, as is their prerogative being in their 80s)

Yeah - I should have be a bit clearer - the lungs themselves wrt performance can improve. Any physical damage elsewhere is another matter of course. I remain baffled at young 'uns today starting to smoke. When I was a kid (70s) it was hammered into us in school and the media how bad it was. Maybe that isn't done so much now.
  • Smoking is well on it's way out. Too expensive, for one. 

I was slightly alarmed to discover that lungs don't get better. Sure, they can grow back the hairs that in turn will help them clean themselves, but any damage done is done for life. Your chances of getting lung cancer are related to pack-years, not whether you still smoke or not. Of course, stopping means your pack-years don't go up, and your heart and circulation certainly improve, but the only thing that's going to make the cancer less likely, alongside genetic factors, are diet and exercise.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have to admit I haven't been keeping up with smoking and its effects. I thought that lungs could recover at least some of their capability. It seems not now.

My avatar is knackered for some reason.
  • Best way to quit is to move to Australia. They average around $35 a packet.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    That's only about 50p though
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Smoking really is the dumbest thing you can do. I say that as an ex-smoker, of course. My uncle smoked from when he was about 15, at least a packet a day. In his late 40s he had trouble walking and had to have his veins scraped out - the doctors said it was imperative he stopped smoking, like immediately, or it was curtains. He couldn't even cut down. In fact, even as the doctors were telling him all this, he was nipping out for a fag. He had a stroke about a year later and spent the next ten years basically incapacitated - could barely talk, couldn't walk and certainly couldn't play the piano, which was his livelihood. He gave up the fags then, probably because he couldn't get them to his mouth. Bit late for the wake up call. He died a few weeks ago, still relatively young. That's the story of cigarettes. Dumb fucking things.
  • Yes.

Watched my grandfather die a slow, agonising death at 64. System completely ruined and poisoned by gaul stones. But they couldn't operate because his lungs were a net after smoking 40 a day from the age of 13. They told him at 60 that if he didn't quit completely he wouldn't make 65. He cut back to 20 a day. The last words he uttered, quite literally a minute before he died, were a request for a cigarette.

It's an incredibly idiotic, hateful practice.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • A huge plate of peppery corned beef hash with a fried egg on top and beans on the side. Perfect evening meal after the hardest hitting and longest lasting cold I've had for years. Had this bastard since Tuesday, wife's had it since the Friday before last. Daughter hasn't been affected thankfully, but we've been terrible parents this week. Happy it seems to be on the way out.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Mate. That sounds quality. Haven’t had corned beef hash for years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!