The robots are coming. Restructure the economy. Go.
  • Boston Dynamics are a dick to robots.
  • djchump wrote:
    Well, at least in the Robot Future there will always be employment for humans who own hockey sticks as robot-bulliers.

Like all Boston Dynamics, this is equal parts amazing and frightning. 

I have to say, after the guy finally knocks him over I was hoping the robot was going to get back up and clatter him. 

Which I suppose is a credit to Boston Dynamics for making robots that appear to move like a biological animal such that you end up feeling empathy when you see a bearded cunt pushing one around for no reason!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Robots standing back up always remind me of this:

Sumotori-Dreams.gif
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:
    The reason we feel sorry for them is probably the same reason these robots look drunk as fuck:

• Before the internet worked properly there was the DATA BLAST. Investigating why Fred Dinage doesn't age and found this. Data Blast starts at 3:48.
    I worked on How 2 back in the day, in fact having now watched the video, I worked on that very episode. Show was made at the old STV studios at Cowcaddens.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's not hard to imagine those galloping robots they made being used for crowd dispersal like cavalry are today.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Asimo's pretty cool. It's still a promotional tool, and mostly works on a flat track. But it's awesome.

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • All I know is Atlas would fuck Asimo up.

This'll teach those japs not to tie all major tech advances into military funding!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Asimo and those stairs is still one of the very best "Nurse, the screens!" moments I've ever seen.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Imgur's mobile site has changed, I'm not sure if I can embed this gif, but I'll give it a go.

Car thieves aware now out of a job:

eqKmuOf

Link in case the above doesn't work: http://m.imgur.com/gallery/eqKmuOf
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not much more detail than poprock already posted, but the interview with AlphaGo's opponent is trite, yet somehow quite deep...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35746909

I mean his description of the latent "physicality" of the game makes you think a little about the whole idea of determinism... Interesting thing here though, is how the AI is said to "feel" it's way through a game, not solve it outright.

I think there's a video of Hassibis demonstrating similar software acting on old 2600 games a few pages back.
  • Why do I want the human to win?

If this machine doesn't win this time it will win the next and that will be a massive milestone for human achievement. So why the fuck am I pulling for the human?

I read "The Master of Go", a few years ago. It's about the old style vs the new style. I was cheering the new style the whole way through. Fuck the old ways. Fuck everything that isn't grafting robot limbs onto people and exploring space.

Maybe I'm just not ready.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • On now.

• It's all coming back to me now. Why did I stop playing this?
  • I've got a theory that Go is responsible for the more advanced game design coming out of Japan in the 80s and 90s. I don't know if it's the case now but Go used to be on TV regularly over there. I've got a few Go books that are just short puzzles like "take these three white stones" or "escape white's attack". There are a few puzzles drilling technique A, getting more advanced, then a few drilling technique B. Then they start throwing puzzles at you that look like you should be using technique B but it's a really advanced application of A. Looking at the back of the book there were notes about different editions having the order of the puzzles changed slightly for maximum learning potential.

It doesn't sound that special but I defy any gamer to get through one of those books and not be impressed by videogame-grade progression and signposting.

graded-go-problems-for-beginners-volume-1_4.jpg
  • 5 am. Up for work in a bit. Fuck yeah.
  • Everyone in the Go scene is really nice. I'd heard about a book that was good but couldn't find it anywhere so I emailed the author. He was travelling around america visiting schools to teach them Go for free.

One last Go fact. Searching for "Go" is hard work. It's a really common word and a much less common game.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Woah...

AlphaGo took game one after Lee Se-dol resigned...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Well... We all laughed after Republic, but Hassibis won't have to field any more questions about an infinite polygon engine for some time...
  • Why not?  It remains utter nonsense.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    He may well be knighted before the year is up.
    Would be the first time, probably in my life, where I'd think that's a cool thing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There is never anything cool about kneeling before the Queen.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm not a royalist, but you get the point.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Placed on either shoulder, yes that's how it works.
  • Bend the knee.

7779f947cb3fe201a70ef9a377895749.jpg
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So AlphaGo has won game two...

We should get this thing to somehow validate some of the more contentious climate change models...
  • What did you say about the infinite polygon engine?

Terminator-Movie-Timeline-Explained.jpg
  • That it was bullshit. Pay attention.
  • This thread needs more robot realdolls. The true future of robotica!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!