• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Definitive.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Agree with that.  Have you seen the recent Muscle Shoals doc Davy?
  • I'm not overly keen on the Beatles albums that are considered their best (plenty of good tracks on most of their LPs though, imo), but Please Please Me gets a regular airing in the Moot house. 

Early era Beatles were infinitely superior to latter, tonnes of great covers and some of my favourite originals. 

Which brings me to my favourite Beatles original:

• Had this in my head all week, great to slow dance to:

Edit - ha, already posted it on the previous page, go me.
  • No YouTube for me, so sorry if this has already been suggested - my favourite album from the 60s.
  • Okay some more fresh (old) ones:

Love the simplicity of this original :)
  • No YouTube for me, so sorry if this has already been suggested - my favourite album from the 60s.

Ah man, that's a great album and one that gets airplay around summer in my yard. Great summery vibe to it. Had the chance to see Arthur Lee in Nottingham back in the mid noughties, missed him.
  • I've recently discovered that the quality of cheapo compilations has improved dramatically in the past 10-15 years.  Often ended up getting stuck with re-recordings, alternate takes and no-namers filling the latter half of each cd years ago.  Picked this little lot up for £30 yesterday (3 for £10 x2 and two at £5 - that's 18 jam-packed cds of ear wormage).

148q7on.jpg
    2di38fb.jpg

Nick, the triple cd Surf one is quality.  I'm going back after Christmas, got that lot from a smallish dvd/music shop in Bromley.
  • Is that psychobilly comp up to much?
  • Will post thoughts after I've concentrated on it.  Had disk one on in the background last night and it sounded good.  I don't recognise the vast majority of artists on there, so I'm looking forward to giving it a proper go.
  • The title interests me, I'm wondering if it's a rockabilly album that's been retitled to justify the almost awesome artwork.
  • I had a brief dabble with psychobilly stuff earlier this year, a decent sound, just never had a good idea of where to delve, aside from rev. horton heath (thanks GH2).

I too would like more reports on this psychobilly business thanks moot cheers
  • Even the 3 for £10 double pack have decent little two-page write ups on the selections/history of style.  The Psychobilly one sounds legit.  
    Of all the currently popular music genres, psychobilly is perhaps the most inclusive.  It incorporates elements of rockabilly, glam, punk, surf, heavy rock, garage and country in an exciting amalgam of musical styles and commands a mahor following.
    We haven't space to mention the likes of the Vampires and Ritchie Valens, contributing under the obvious pseudonym of Arvee Allens, but suffice to say all the 50 tracks here have a little hidden menace about them.  Godfathers of Psychobilly, rock on!
  • Liner notes by Michael Heatley, whose selected works include John Peel - A Life in Music, Neil Young: In His Own Words and Rolf Harris: The Most Talented Man in the World.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Agree with that.  Have you seen the recent Muscle Shoals doc Davy?

Oh. Nice.
  • It's heavy on the Bono (lots of impassioned talking head stuff), which is a dealbreaker for some, but very good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That has reminded me that I have the box set "All you need is love" which is a docu-series about the history of music by Tony Palmer. It really is rather good and features some splendid performances both contemporary and recorded for the series. There's an excellent turn by Cab Calloway in it that springs to mind(sadly in some fairly down-at-heel venue if memory serves).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Need_Is_Love:_The_Story_of_Popular_Music
  • Me ma' always champions her cab calloway tapes, he's been on the list for some time; I should make a concerted effort tho my laziness is my downfall. Good to know there's quality in the bank though.

In other news, history of funk is on BBC 4 at 9 tonight. Should be good, 'specially, dare I say it, the 70s and parliament mothership arrival.
  • Cab Calloway is awesome. Minnie the Moocher, natch, but love that Cotton Club vibe, some of the best big band stuff around.

I used to buy loads of compilations - favourites tended to be Blue Note, Soul Jazz Records and Stateside; consistently good quality control, particularly the Soul Jazz New Orleans ones, and Stateside's Talcum Soul.

http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/discography/?l=97

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_five_bro_0?fst=as:off&rh=n:229816,k:Stateside,p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:340374031&keywords=Stateside&ie=UTF8&qid=1417982577&rnid=340358031
  • I'm looking for a good Fame Studios box-set but if I'm not keen on spending £30+ on a three disk set.  Ditto the Muscle Shoals doc soundtrack.  £12 for a 13 track album seems both steep and lightweight.

I'd rather spend big for a huge set. 

I'm pretty well up on my death disks now, been devoting time for a year or so.  Plenty of stories, a few touching moments, bundles of laughs.

• Proof that Jackie Wilson is the big dog:

As an aside, while searching for that came across the Anthony Newley original, a broadway actor/singer who co-wrote the song and who Bowie was a quite a fan of, it seems ;-)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Newley wrote a lot of stuff. Did the Goldfinger theme.
  • Went back to that little dvd/cd shop today (I think it's called 'Head').  39 disks for £50, that's my Crimbo money from the old man wiped out but I'm pleased with it all.  Was hoping to find a Chess Records comp similar to the one Chump posted in another thread, no luck there but I did get two volumes of The Northern Soul Story, four years of double disk Top Rank comps (1959-1962), two volumes of The London American Story, Hit the Road Jack: The ABC-Paramount story, Runnin' Wild: The Everest Records Story, Summertime Blues: Gems From the Parlophone Vaults, Sweet Soul Music: The Best of Stax, Essential Rockabilly: The King Story, Whirlwind: The Philips International Story, a couple of heavily discounted multipacks that scanned as 'damaged stock' (Petula Clark, Ella Fitzegerald, Dance Bands of the 40s) and a big Country box set (not Big Country) called Gentlemen of Country which made the young ladies on the checkout titter and nudge one another.  Some super early Waylon Jennings tracks on there, so the joke's on them.

I'm listening to the first London American one now, Duane Eddy is smashing it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Head is a good shop. There's one in Belfast but since it has moved to a more up-market site it has lost it's indie feel and it isn't as attractive to shop in.
  • On a death discs kick again.  Some good 'uns:

Early example of an 'answer song' in pop, Frankee style (allegedly a response to Don't Take Your Guns to Town):

and another, stone cold classic:

• Well I've already posted two of those on this page, so at least I'm consistent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember that Marty Robbins album with the pink cover being in our house when I was a kid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watch this one every few months - still love it.

• Been getting into a double disc Roger Miller collection I bought a while ago, plus a spot of Youtube on the side.

Love his half-arsed approach to miming here:

#Oodelally
  • Second track is '71, but I'll allow it.

I've had a couple of compilations for a while, but hadn't given them enough time to realise how good his earlier stuff is, until an mp3 player reshuffle this week.

Obviously The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a pure banger too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!