All that jazz
  • Music Hole, £1.27 delivered.  Good old Zoverstocks.  Judging by the cover, the left nipple slip appears to be part of her schtick though.  I'm onto her.
  • See, if I wasn't on a tablet I wouldn't have ordered an album by the wrong Camille.  FFS.

Edit: 'Body percussion' and 'throat singing'.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This thread really delivers the lols.
  • It's amusing me slightly more each time I click on it. 

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    'Body percussion' and 'throat singing'.

Bloody hell.
  • Body percussion and throat singing album has arrived.  Wish me luck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You'll be getting a Cleo-Lane-in-her-doobie-doo-phase album after this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So, I'm not in love with the song, but between 6:10 and 6:30 she does some kind of dual and tri-tone self-harmonized sung/throatwhistle/godknowshowshedoesit thing that was new to me :-o

• People go crazy for Snarky Puppy here in Glasgow. Queues up the road like a boyband gig when they play here.
  • Not noticed this thread before, for some reason...

I don't listen to much jazz at home, but it's something I'll actively seek out live.  For the most part it only works for me if I'm there I think, as I find it easier to feel how the music's evolving.

That said, I do have a few records at home, mainly the predictable ones, and yes, Kind of Blue is certainly in there.  Probably most listened to though is the pianist Zoe Rahman for reasons that are probably exclusive to me...  Namely: my in-laws are Bengali and listen to a lot of bengali music.  If I'm honest I used to struggle a lot with the Bengali stuff, partly because I couldn't understand the words (I'm one of those people who likes lyrics), but also because I couldn't really understand the music itself.  Up until I came across some of Rahman's stuff - in a number of her records she ties together the Bengali stuff, with classical and jazz.  (Including specific covers of Bengali songs).  Not only do I enjoy her music in its own right, but I quickly found that it allowed me to wrap my head around the original Bengali records much better, and I can finally appreciate their beauty as well. 

Anyway, here's an example...

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I used to watch a live Jazz band regularly (Jesus - back in the late 80's-early 90's this was). They were ragtime but they were extremely good - all old school musicians and individually had apparantly toured the world and played as session musicians with a lot of the greats of the day. The trumpeter was George Mullan who had played with Armstrong for example.

It was quite joyous to behold.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Like a lot of people I wouldn't say I like jazz. But I guess that would be because I have a perception of it that may not be true. Closest I've got to buying jazz is Gregory Porter and that is just because he has an amazing voice.

I do enjoy that soft jazz you hear in bars and it really does make the night, having a few drinks chatting etc.

But I've started some of the videos and realised I can't actually focus on the music for more than a few minutes before thinking I should be doing something else with my time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't know if Jazz is meant for focussed listening. It's best to just stick it on and let it bounce around the room - not too loud.

Something as bonkers as Bitches Brew say - no way I could sit and actively listen to that. But put it on and just let it flow over you and something clicks when your brian starts to assimilate it.

Something like Oscar Peterson's Night Train is the opposite -  I find that just so gorgeously laid back that you can't help but actively listen. The artistry forces you to listen. Peterson is a tour de force on the keyboard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Enjoying Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit.
  • Yeah, another solid Gav reco that one for me.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was at Scott's Jazz club on Friday night. (the local to me one!!). https://www.scottsjazzclub.com/

Brazilian guy doing a samba/jazz fusion thing. Right out of the gate he was doing that vocalisation thing which gets old very quick......But... Very odd and very good. Adriano Trindade. Worth a look if you fancy something different.

Last night I took the time to sit down and "actively" listen to Bitches Brew for the first time in years. It has improved with age - it's hard to think about the impact this must have had when it first appeared. That sound is very much part of the background of many things now it is easy to take for granted. Was not as challenging as I remembered - though it gets a bit heavy in the last 2 tracks, particularly Sanctuary.
  • These are some of my favs

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That Head Hunters album is a classic all right

• Not sure if this counts as jazz but have been obsessed with this tune for months, and a great video, too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sketches of Spain tonight.

When I first heard this many years ago I felt it was a bit of a dirge.

Miles' wife was a dancer and when they were in Spain she hauled him along to a Flamenco Dance event - he promptly went out and bought every flamenco album he could get and then created this.

It's very solemn but also it's a classy piece of work. Starting to appreciate it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moved onto Porgy and Bess.

What an album this is. I own it as part of a CD box set I bought years ago and for some reason I was a bit sniffy about it so passed over it.

Gil Evans and Davis. Quite the pairing. This is an album I could just keep going back to.
  • Badbadnotgood again but, this track is sublime. The strings at the end bewitch me every time

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!