Podcasts
  • Tempy wrote:
    I feel like making a podcast these days when you aren't like, the McEllroy's or something, is like pissing into a fearsome tsunami

Feel this way also. CoolGamesInc is the shit.
  • Where's the S Town love itt.
  • I've downloaded it but haven't listened, I'll get to it shortly. Maybe.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I feel like making a podcast these days when you aren't like, the McEllroy's or something, is like pissing into a fearsome tsunami

I really like their podcasts. Well, MBMBaM (although I haven't listened that much)and The Adventure Zone (to which I am addicted).

Just getting into MBMBaM myself after TAZ and it is very good. It has just the right amount of references from all things I enjoy (movies, games etc) as well as them just generally being funny and having that natural sibling chemistry.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Reached our first anniversary in February for werenotwizards.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

I really like their podcasts. Well, MBMBaM (although I haven't listened that much)and The Adventure Zone (to which I am addicted).

Just getting into MBMBaM myself after TAZ and it is very good. It has just the right amount of references from all things I enjoy (movies, games etc) as well as them just generally being funny and having that natural sibling chemistry.

Finally got back into TAZ. About mid-way though 'Petal to the Metal' and it's absolutely brilliant.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

Finally got back into TAZ. About mid-way though 'Petal to the Metal' and it's absolutely brilliant.

Great, Petals to the Metal is where it really starts to take off, but the best is yet to come.
  • i mainlined TAZ on my commutes and now I'm up to date - have also had to start up MBMBAM to get my McElroy fix.
    I can probably stop at any time. Probably.
  • Podcast History of our world is pretty good. I nearly gave up after the first few episodes because he's a bit annoying but it quickly settles down. Recommended.
  • Reached our first anniversary in February for werenotwizards.

Congrats!
  • Might need to start in MBMBAM. Shit, there's a lot of episodes! Where's good to start?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Andy wrote:
    I've downloaded it but haven't listened, I'll get to it shortly. Maybe.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm on episode five. Get on it, Face.
  • Pressure.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Thank you Dan. Going to listen to s town and see what all the fuss is about.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Reached our first anniversary in February for werenotwizards.

Congrats!

Aye, nice one.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Can the plebs start calling it Shit Town please or I'll do a REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Finished listening to S Town (for that is what it's called, Bollo) earlier.

When I first heard a teaser for S Town, arriving on my iPhone from the Serial podcast, I was fairly sure I wouldn't listen. I couldn't tell if it was a documentary or a work of fiction. And, if it was a true story, ever since You've Been Trumped I've been wary of the motivation and truthfulness of documentarians siding with a minority voice of dissent. The desire to be seen as giving a platform to the oppressed, and strong personal viewpoints, can clearly distort both their own perception and, as a result, the story they have to tell.

The second time I heard a teaser, I was even more conflicted. The voice we heard - which I would later learn is that if the man around whom the story revolves, John B McLemore - sounded fake. He sounded like Zack Galifianskis in The Campaign, only foul-mouthed. However, one of the contributors to the teaser likening the sense of intrigue to the first season of Serial (which is a rather telling comment about the second, although I still enjoyed it) convinced me to download it. I started listening last night, and then listened to the rest today and this evening.

That, as much as anything else, is testament to the story-telling ability of the writers. By making these podcasts as much a story about the investigative process as the story itself, by largely basing the chronology on their own experience of events, but withholding key pieces of the puzzle, they expertly craft intrigue. At one and the same time I enjoy and am wary of the way they end an episode on a cliffhanger; as a listener, it's exciting, but I'm wary of how strongly they may be manipulating the story to meet these episodic beats.

FULL SERIES SPOILERS FOLLOW. DO NOT READ THEM UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED. DO NOT EVEN READ THEM TO SEE IF IT PIQUES YOUR INTEREST IN LISTENING. THESE SPOILERS WILL SPOIL YOUR ENJOYMENT IF YOU READ THEM BEFORE FINISHING.

Spoiler:

A cracking podcast, but not one that I come away from feeling good about the world.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Shit Town Shit Head.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Love the definitive spoiler warning

But now I feel the need to do the whole podcast, just so I can read the text you hid, you big tease, go into marketing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Andy wrote:
    Finished listening to S Town (for that is what it's called, Bollo) earlier.

When I first heard a teaser for S Town, arriving on my iPhone from the Serial podcast, I was fairly sure I wouldn't listen. I couldn't tell if it was a documentary or a work of fiction. And, if it was a true story, ever since You've Been Trumped I've been wary of the motivation and truthfulness of documentarians siding with a minority voice of dissent. The desire to be seen as giving a platform to the oppressed, and strong personal viewpoints, can clearly distort both their own perception and, as a result, the story they have to tell.

The second time I heard a teaser, I was even more conflicted. The voice we heard - which I would later learn is that if the man around whom the story revolves, John B McLemore - sounded fake. He sounded like Zack Galifianskis in The Campaign, only foul-mouthed. However, one of the contributors to the teaser likening the sense of intrigue to the first season of Serial (which is a rather telling comment about the second, although I still enjoyed it) convinced me to download it. I started listening last night, and then listened to the rest today and this evening.

That, as much as anything else, is testament to the story-telling ability of the writers. By making these podcasts as much a story about the investigative process as the story itself, by largely basing the chronology on their own experience of events, but withholding key pieces of the puzzle, they expertly craft intrigue. At one and the same time I enjoy and am wary of the way they end an episode on a cliffhanger; as a listener, it's exciting, but I'm wary of how strongly they may be manipulating the story to meet these episodic beats.

FULL SERIES SPOILERS FOLLOW. DO NOT READ THEM UNTIL YOU'VE FINISHED. DO NOT EVEN READ THEM TO SEE IF IT PIQUES YOUR INTEREST IN LISTENING. THESE SPOILERS WILL SPOIL YOUR ENJOYMENT IF YOU READ THEM BEFORE FINISHING.

Spoiler:

A cracking podcast, but not one that I come away from feeling good about the world.

Good write up.
    Spoiler:
  • Started it this morning. If it's a piece of fiction it's nicely executed. The whole NPR programming style is certainly overripe for parody/appropriation.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Spoiler:

There's a whole story in that guy, and his relationship with that film.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Might need to start in MBMBAM. Shit, there's a lot of episodes! Where's good to start?

I started with most recent ones but have now gone back to the start to catch up in between other poddos. First episodes are a lot less polished but I think they were basically doing it over Skype, and I think they're about 5 years old now.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • If anyone listens to the Adam Buxton podcast, the latest ones, with Brain Eno, are great. Eno is clearly an intelligent, knowledgeable, articulate man.
  • He has a fine brain on him that's for sure.
  • He's made some records I have dug a whole lot.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Eno was interviewed on last Saturday's Click on BBC News. You can see my friend operating one of the BBC cameras at various points - he's the one wearing the hat. Looking forward to Buxton.
  • Shit Town then.

Spoiler:
  • After a slightly awkward start to the new arc, The Adventure Zone knocks it out of the park with episode 61. Best podcast.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!