Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I remember the complaints pre-launch, but in actual use I rarely notice it, even when playing Bloodborne. I sit about six feet away, usually in a dark room. But it is odd that you can't ever fully get rid of the light.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I remember the complaints pre-launch, but in actual use I rarely notice it, even when playing Bloodborne. I sit about six feet away, usually in a dark room. But it is odd that you can't ever fully get rid of the light.

Same.
    Theres also little things you can get that go over it and have designs on them.

If you have multiple pads then you can have one masked up and another thats not no?
  • But why should have to mask it up ? You should be able to switch it off - it pisses me off as well .

The new Bone pads guide button is also bright as fuck in the dark
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • It annoys me because it's clearly adding to the battery drain on a pad that lasts for a pitiful amount of time before it needs recharged.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    It annoys me because it's clearly adding to the battery drain on a pad that lasts for a pitiful amount of time before it needs recharged.

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    It annoys me because it's clearly adding to the battery drain on a pad that can't be powered with rechargeable AAs.
  • :D
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's the main reason I haven't bought a PS4.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Zero issue with it here, hair. Be positive, buy one.
  • The flat's PS4 pad never seems to spend a spare moment unplugged. Luckily it charges from a big long cable I got with my wired Xbox One pad, problem basically solved as the steam link means the pad is always in the living room.
  • As for masking tape, aye and get adhesive marks over yr controller if/when you take it off? Nah I'm good, ta.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=dualshock+4+light+bar+decal. I can't see any that completely black it out, but they massively reduce the amount of light coming out, and don't leave marks.

As for complaints about battery power, I have to wonder what some of you are doing. Last time my pads were endurance tested, they went for over twelve hours of solid FIFA before they ran out of charge. While I don't regularly time it, there's no way a freshly charged one won't see me through a day.
  • It's (pro pad) a decent enough pad, but it just doesn't last long enough.
    I only have The Last Guardian and Uncharted 4 for my pro. Both games that I caned for long sessions on purchase, and with both games the pad ran out of juice before I wanted to finish for the day.
    It's hardly the end of the world, but every other battery powered pad I've ever owned for other (including Sony) machines lasts a hell of a lot longer.
  • My PS4 controller is brand new and the battery life is pitiful. The missus will have it on for Netflix and Amazon Video and stuff and invariably when I pick it up it's nearly dead. Shouldn't be happening, and I'm certain it's that fucking light that's the cause of it!!

Luckily I can use my TV remote for the PS4 as I've got a Bravia. That's one thing I do like. No pointless light on that...
  • have you got it set so that it can charge in standby mode?  i guess if you're doing a session long enough to kill a full battery it won't help, but then again if you can spare 12+ hours a day to play (going entirely off Andy's data) then you don't deserve any sympathy anyway (just cos I'm jealous!).
    but generally, even when i was caning uncharted4 and tittyfall over chrimbo, i never got any where near a low battery warning, then at the end of the play time i plugged the pad in and put the ps4 in rest mode, with the '3 hour charging' option enabled...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My PS4 controller is brand new and the battery life is pitiful. The missus will have it on for Netflix and Amazon Video and stuff and invariably when I pick it up it's nearly dead. Shouldn't be happening, and I'm certain it's that fucking light that's the cause of it!!

Might be a faulty pad mate as I can game for a good while before its close to running out. Never had a 'battery low' notification.
  • You can dim the light in the options menu but the reality is it makes fuck all difference.  If I'm playing later at night with the lights off I actually use it as a torch to guide me round the furniture and to the light switch once I've finished playing.  Sony really have thought of everything this gen, haven't they?
  • Also my battery lasts fucking ages.  I think maybe chalice has a faulty battery?
  • I had a faulty battery on my OG PS4 and now on my Pro too. Bad luck, I guess.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have two pads both now with shit battery life. I'm not sure whether me leaving it wired in (charging) has affected its ability to hold a charge but mine now last about 3hrs max which is I deem a bit shit.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I seem to charge my new Pro pad less than the old OG pad. But even then never really ran out as I do the sleep and charge process.
  • I rotate between two pads, one red, one blue. I use a controller until it's dead (even after it's switched itself off, you can switch it back on and eke a bit more out). Once it's flat, the other one comes off the charging dock, the flat one goes on. Lights are on dim, and auto-switch off is enabled (ten minutes) to save the battery during telly watching.
  • i know it's a shit solution but my charger brick for my vita works with my ps4 pads and headset. 

they're pretty cheap now as well... might have to get another.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-COMPUTER-Portable-Charger-PlayStation/dp/B006H3PTS2

i have no idea how much extra time it gives me as i've never run out before re-charging.
  • Also my battery lasts fucking ages.  I think maybe chalice has a faulty battery?

It's more a case of remembering to plug the thing in after use. The missus uses it more than me. It's hers after all..

I'll check to see if I've got the switch off after ten minutes option on.
  • Pro tip for charging batteries.  It is better to top up your battery rather than subjecting it to a multitude of charge and drain cycles, which is murder on a battery's capacity.  Usually letting it drain down once every six months is also recommended for prolonging life.  Also, charging the PS4 pad with a cable and leaving it overlong will cook the battery, I doubt the pad or cable carries any logic to cut the power when full, as you get with battery chargers.  I frigged a battery pack for my 360 pad with the play and charge kit, since then I chose life, and got AAs and a charger.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Play and charge kits had a light indicator you madman.
  • Don't recall mine having one, but it was an old one.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • If I'd spilt coke on my PS4 pad and five days later three of the buttons were still sticking in a bit, what would the best course of action be for cleaning it?  It doesn't affect pinball or Trackmania, so it's not a big deal at the moment, but I want to get back to a bit of XCom soon.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Don't recall mine having one, but it was an old one.

51838d1323202141-whie-xbox-360-controller-play-sam_0817.jpg

Red when charging, green when done. Did you buy GameWare?
  • Webbins wrote:
    I doubt the pad or cable carries any logic to cut the power when full, as you get with battery chargers.
    You'd be wrong there.
  • Andy wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    I doubt the pad or cable carries any logic to cut the power when full, as you get with battery chargers.
    You'd be wrong there.

Go on Andy, it's in the manual?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!