Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • It's been getting good reviews. I think I'll get it at some point.
  • Silke wrote:
    Finally got my tenner back from the march shopping. Went instantly for Yakuza 0 since it's on sale.

Nice!
  • Is Parappa The Rappa broke or something?

You push the corresponding buttons in time with the rhythm as displayed on the screen right?

I've played a few rhythm games in the past but this games ridiculous, no matter how well I time it it's just not having it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

You push the corresponding buttons in time with the rhythm as displayed on the screen right?

I've played a few rhythm games in the past but this games ridiculous, no matter how well I time it it's just not having it.

The timing window on Parappa is ridiculously tight and you'll need to go by beat, not on screen prompt. Also, you don't need to just follow the prompts as they are - you can drop little bits of freestyle in there between prompts, if I remember correctly.

I wonder if the PS4 version is like the PSP one which was actually stricter than the original...?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yakuza Kiwami dropping on August 29th. Lovely steelbook. £29.99 rrp

More Yakuza? MOAR YAKUZA
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yakuza Kiwami dropping on August 29th. Lovely steelbook. £29.99 rrp

More Yakuza? MOAR YAKUZA

Get in, lad!
  • Price war kicking off, Zavvi currently banging 26 quid.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I went for Shopto and got it for £25.50
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Suck it am a buy a dib dab
    The timing window on Parappa is ridiculously tight and you'll need to go by beat, not on screen prompt.

I cannot get with it. I'm essentially ghost-tapping the button with the beat, to get the timing right. Hit it (at what feels like) bang on, and Parappa raps half a beat later, which sounds awful and knocks your rhythm. Try to compensate, and it clips his audio, so he says the second half of each word, bang on time. That's equally disconcerting.

Between that, and only half the game being remastered (fuck me, they've delivered an ugly mess for the FMV) it's a hard game to get on with.
  • Some things are best left in the past fondly remembered by critics and endlessly dragged out for best of features and wasn't it great when games where like this features... but not actually played.

Like Orcarina of Time for instance.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    Is Parappa The Rappa broke or something?
    The timing window on Parappa is ridiculously tight and you'll need to go by beat, not on screen prompt.

I cannot get with it. I'm essentially ghost-tapping the button with the beat, to get the timing right. Hit it (at what feels like) bang on, and Parappa raps half a beat later, which sounds awful and knocks your rhythm. Try to compensate, and it clips his audio, so he says the second half of each word, bang on time. That's equally disconcerting.

Between that, and only half the game being remastered (fuck me, they've delivered an ugly mess for the FMV) it's a hard game to get on with.

I'm exactly the same, quite infuriating tbh.

It's a shame as everything else (blurry FMV aside) is cool, I want to like it but end up wanting to smash my pad when playing.

6 stages though, fuck paying £30 for this back in the day, rip off.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've muddled through Parappa up to what I assume is the final stage ("I gotta believe!").  Chuffed to get it for free, but novelty value and laughs aside, am I in the minority in thinking that it's kinda.....crap?  The button prompts don't seem to be aligned with the beat, sometimes the scoreometer toys with 'cool' or drops to 'bad' for no discernible reason.

I guess I'm not in the minority.
  • Is Parappa The Rappa broke or something? You push the corresponding buttons in time with the rhythm as displayed on the screen right? I've played a few rhythm games in the past but this games ridiculous, no matter how well I time it it's just not having it.
    The timing window on Parappa is ridiculously tight and you'll need to go by beat, not on screen prompt. Also, you don't need to just follow the prompts as they are - you can drop little bits of freestyle in there between prompts, if I remember correctly. I wonder if the PS4 version is like the PSP one which was actually stricter than the original...?

I assume the freestyle bits are the star icons (I think they're stars).  I noticed something was up when I was getting a cool rating on Master Onion when deliberately missing one of the prompts.
  • Special mention to the cooking hen stage though, can't help loving the stupendously poor track.
  • That's the one I got up to. Just can't do it no matter how well I think I'm timing it.

Just the thought of it is getting to me, why the fuck doesn't it work?!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I just managed it at maybe the 8th attempt over the past few days, but I didn't achieve success through skillful timing, it just eventually allowed me to win.  Turns out I was failing on the final part every time.
  • That's the one I got up to. Just can't do it no matter how well I think I'm timing it. Just the thought of it is getting to me, why the fuck doesn't it work?!

Then hen one makes the least sense to me in terms of keeping in time.
  • Bob wrote:
    Some things are best left in the past fondly remembered by critics and endlessly dragged out for best of features and wasn't it great when games where like this features... but not actually played.

Like Orcarina of Time for instance.

Lol. Sigh.
  • 10 Second Ninja is great, good shout Andy & Jon.  Meant to give it a quick burst last night but got sucked in enough to 2 & 3 star the first thee worlds.  The other free ninja game isn't half bad either (possibly an offering from a previous month), I'll be dipping in and out of that.
  • Yeah, it's decent if you don't mind old-fashioned and basic (I'm sure you don't).

With 10 Second Ninja, it's just a shame I ran out of things (I wanted) to do so soon. There's no real incentive to beat times once you've 3-starred a stage, because there's such slight room for improvement. Would've gladly played through a ton more levels.

BTW, I noticed you'd finished Horizon. Are you done with it?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    10 Second Ninja is great, good shout Andy & Jon.  Meant to give it a quick burst last night but got sucked in enough to 2 & 3 star the first thee worlds.  The other free ninja game isn't half bad either (possibly an offering from a previous month), I'll be dipping in and out of that.

Heard about this on a podcast last week and immediately thought of you.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Any recommendations on what to spend £10 on please?

I've got until the end of the month to spend it.

I'm tempted with Tomb Raider and Mafia III but I think by the time I get around to playing them they'll be cheaper anyway.

There's a few bite size games I want such as Resogun and Pac-Man 256/Champ Ed.2 but tbh I'm holding out on Switch releases for things like that as the handheld aspect will give me much more time to play.

Final Fantasy VII is another that keeps catching my eye, I never completed it back in the day. How's the updated port of that?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a good one. Still takes some getting used to the low-resolution, but the addition of options to speed things up or avoid random battles is nice. It's also still a great game.
  • April 27th, PREY opening hour will be available to download and play a week before full game is released. Could be a very good game as previews have been very positive.
  • You'd love Rive Retro, currently on sale too (£7ish).  I can't recommend it highly enough, but that doesn't stop me trying.  It's arriving on Switch soon though, so maaaybe it'd be even more suited to handheld play.
  • Looks good but yeah, the handheld aspect of the Switch really adds to the appeal of digital only games.

I think I'm gonna go with FFVII.

Does anyone know if Sony had a hand in Resogun which will keep it a PS exclusive?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah, it's XDEV or whatever it's called. And my £10 went on the wipeout preorder.
  • Or towards it, rather (£30).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!