Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Rez > any other music based game.
    Better than the mighty Bust a Groove????

http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Rez > any other music based game.

I still prefer Thumper
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    BOOM BOOM ROCKET
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I forgot gitaroo man the king of all rhythm games!
  • Rez isn't really a music game, you could play the whole thing with the sound off.
  • Samba de Amigo is my favourite music game.

It’s almost as much fun watching others make fools of themselves as it is playing yourself.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • AJ wrote:
    Rez isn't really a music game, you could play the whole thing with the sound off.

Well you can play any music game with the sound off.
  • BOOM BOOM ROCKET

This was the game that got me into music games. My music game journey has been:

Boom Boom Rocket -> Ouendan -> Guitar Hero -> IIDX

I think. Others in between those ofc but those are the main four beats (heh).
  • "Music game" ≠ rhythm action tho right
  • Yeah there's deffo space for more nuance in the categorisation.
  • Surely the definition has to include something about the gameplay revolving around it, though. Mario games sync up things with the music, like Rez does, should we include them, too?
  • What does Mario sync with music?

Rez is definitely a music / rhythm action game, to me. I'm not sure what the question is anymore tbh :/
  • I can't remember, but I definitely remember it being pointed out in a Digital Foundry video or something. Maybe Reg knows.

I won't concede that Rez is a music game, unless your definition is very broad and basically about themes and influences, but you can be as wrong as you like.
  • Which is zero wrong :)

It can be a rails-shooter too, that's fine, but it's also a music game. Likewise Lumines, a puzzle game and a music game.
  • There’s defo plenty of 2d Mario levels that sync your jump presses with music beats. Defo.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Which is zero wrong :)

It can be a rails-shooter too, that's fine, but it's also a music game. Likewise Lumines, a puzzle game and a music game.

Pfft.

Anyway, someone answer my question about Thumper:

AJ wrote:
    How far through do you need to get before it clicks and you decide you like it?

• There’s defo plenty of 2d Mario levels that sync your jump presses with music beats. Defo.

What happens if you don't jump at that point? I mean, I get that it's synced to a perfect run or something, but I don't think you can say Mario is a music game. If anyone was saying that, which they probably weren't.

I'm drinking.
  • nick_md wrote:
    There’s defo plenty of 2d Mario levels that sync your jump presses with music beats. Defo.

What happens if you don't jump at that point? I mean, I get that it's synced to a perfect run or something, but I don't think you can say Mario is a music game. If anyone was saying that, which they probably weren't.

I'm drinking.

That’s a fair point we’ll made. I’ll stand down.
  • Out of curiosity, what makes Rez a music game, to you, Nick?
  • AJ wrote:
    I dunno, maybe World 4 because by that time every "bar" has something happening, unlike World 1-3. That said, World 3 is already doing odder time stuff.

I'm a bit woolly on the exact design but essentially each World is a Time Signature X/4, so by World 5 it's chucking a 5/4 beat at you, which is a bit weirder than everything prior.
  • That’s a fair point we’ll made.

No it isn't.
  • AJ wrote:
    Out of curiosity, what makes Rez a music game, to you, Nick?

The game is enhanced by the music, and being in-time with the music. You get more of the song if you're on time and killing things to the beat.
  • AJ wrote:
    That’s a fair point we’ll made.
    No it isn't.

Hey I'm definitely drinking.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I dunno, maybe World 4 because by that time every bar has something happening, unlike World 1-3.

Damn, I was hoping you'd say it grabbed you from level one and I could not buy it because I wasn't enthralled by the demo. I suppose I don't have anything filling the short action game gap in my VR collection...
  • I liked the Boom Boom Rocket demo.  

Thumper > Rez, but I never really clicked with Rez so the full list of rhythm games I've played would be more like Thumper > Samba de Amigo > Frequency > Amplitude > Beat the Beat > Rhythm Paradise > Rhythm Thief > Vib Ribbon > Rez > Space Channel 5 > BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER, JOINS THE BOWL.
  • If memory serves you aren't introduced to every mechanic until World 4 anyway. World 1 is quite slow but you can get the gist of the game there. I have no idea what the demo shows you.
  • nick_md wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    That’s a fair point we’ll made.
    No it isn't.
    Hey I'm definitely drinking.

To be honest, that is a fair point.

Tempy wrote:
    If memory serves you aren't introduced to every mechanic until World 4 anyway. World 1 is quite slow but you can get the gist of the game there. I have no idea what the demo shows you.

You get three mechanics - tap x on spots, hold x and direction for corners, and hold x past rungs. Are the new ones more interesting?
  • It's all very simple, you get jumps and lanes later, then things that punish you for messing up on them in different ways. Much of the joy comes from getting really into the Thump Combo stuff anyway.
  • I have no rhythm, no tone and literally cannot pick timing and beat out. These games are lost on me so when I make Mario jump at the same time as a piano clink I get a brief glimpse of how anyone with a sight musics ear feels. It’s enough for me.

Btw you should have seen my dad dancing with my daughter at Taylor Swift on Friday night. Ho boy I’m a real mess.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's all very simple, you get jumps and lanes later, then things that punish you for messing up on them in different ways. Much of the joy comes from getting really into the Thump Combo stuff anyway.

Fuck it, I'll grab it and see how I go; it's only a fiver.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!