Playstation 4 [The all you can eat buffet thread]
  • My heart bleeds for you all.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • @AJ are you using a base ps4, or the pro? (Assuming this is relevant if the pro installs 4k assets).

I'm on pretty unremarkable internet connection, and most of my updates proceed quite fine whether there is an outage or not.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The long install I mentioned was a base PS4 and since there was no internet connection, there's no chance I'm accidentally including the download of any updates.

I'm on a Pro with SSD now, so fingers crossed Spidey won't take too long.
  • perhaps the lack of internet is what slowed it down? perhaps the game kept wanting to check online for updates etc., but wasn't smart enough to react efficiently to 'no connection' so just kept trying and timing out and moving on and then trying again later etc.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Perhaps the game was trolling you, and had actually installed after 5 mins.
  • perhaps the lack of internet is what slowed it down? perhaps the game kept wanting to check online for updates etc., but wasn't smart enough to react efficiently to 'no connection' so just kept trying and timing out and moving on and then trying again later etc.

It's possible, I guess. I'm not about to start a Digital Foundry style analysis but, if I remember, I'll give it a shot both with the console connected and without.
  • Destiny 2 was probably installing again and again and again and you just didn’t realise.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

This seems like the most likely scenario as it then forced us to watch a tedious twenty minute long cut-scene before we could play.

It was worth it to watch my mate crash about as the most inept Adam Jensen ever, though. I'm pretty sure it's not technically possible to stumble over a railing and land on your face in that game, but he managed it anyway.
  • Long load times for this being reported on gaming news sites now. Seems it's a thing
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Genuinely lolling
    The Forum Herald™
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Long load times for this being reported on gaming news sites now. Seems it's a thing

Loads or just installs?

Wait, by this you mean Spidey?
  • 10 minutes and mines about 1/4 installed on pro
    The Forum Herald™
  • It’s one of my reasons for choosing PS over Xbox as my main (multi-plat) console this gen. PS4 would install any game from disc and allow playing within 5 mins max. Xbox would want to pull patches at the same time as installing from disc and wouldn’t let me start until the game had installed and d/l’ed. My internet only increased in June this year from 5mb to something more current so it was never really a viable way for me to go about stuff.
  • Does anyone want a beta code for Dark Eclipse on PSVR?
    I’ve had an email from Sony and they would like me to be part of the test team(oh so flattered). It’s their first ever VR MOBA and you get to command a group of three blah blah blahs and I have absolutely no interest, time or inclination in such a thing at this point. Just let me know if you fancy it.
  • AJ wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Long load times for this being reported on gaming news sites now. Seems it's a thing

Loads or just installs?

Wait, by this you mean Spidey?

Spiderman! Thought I was in that thread lol
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Does anyone want a beta code for Dark Eclipse on PSVR? I’ve had an email from Sony and they would like me to be part of the test team(oh so flattered). It’s their first ever VR MOBA and you get to command a group of three blah blah blahs and I have absolutely no interest, time or inclination in such a thing at this point. Just let me know if you fancy it.

I would do, but fuck MOBAs.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Loads or just installs? Wait, by this you mean Spidey?
    Spiderman! Thought I was in that thread lol

Cool, but are we talking installs or in-game loads?
  • Spider-Man definately takes a fucking age to install.

Might go and play Destiny for the remaining half hour.
  • Half an hour for me,  no option to play at part install.
    The Forum Herald™
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ratchet only took about 10 mins(if that) the week before, but God Of War took forever. Maybe its just time of day, server load or whatevs.
  • It's what the install does that affects it more than anything. Spider-Man has a lot of data (45GB) which is probably heavily compressed and it needs to unpack and write it to disk.

Ratchet and Clank probably doesn't have super high res assets, so they're quite small, plus is levels, rather than open world, so can load most from the Blu-ray.
  • PLayed through Another World last night. Funny how much the old memories came flooding back for what to do where etc...also how annoying yet compulsive it is regularly dying because of clumsy controls.
    At one point i thought that the checkpointing was broken cos it kept taking me way back...then i realised it's because it wanted me to go somewhere else first! :)
    Anyway, I completed it in the end, so that was nice.

After that, had a quick go on God of War 3 but i don't really get the appeal. Looks pretty and dramatic, but just seems to be all flash. bash buttons and there's lots of effects on screen and eventually you win, but it seemed far too chaotic and hard to see in order to apply any real tactics or skill.
  • I own Another World on so many goddamn systems, but I've never actually finished it. Think the furthest I've got is the flooding caves.
  • After that, had a quick go on God of War 3 but i don't really get the appeal. Looks pretty and dramatic, but just seems to be all flash. bash buttons and there's lots of effects on screen and eventually you win, but it seemed far too chaotic and hard to see in order to apply any real tactics or skill.

That is the appeal along with the spectacle.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Mindless button bashing with pretty pictures definitely appeals to me. But, being a remaster, I may give it a miss because it won't be pretty enough to satisfy.
  • AJ wrote:
    I own Another World on so many goddamn systems, but I've never actually finished it. Think the furthest I've got is the flooding caves.
    ha. that was the bit where i thought the checkpointing was borked, until i fell down a hole and remembered i was meant to do that. Funnily enough, and true to my own particular style, first time i did the water bit last night i got through perfect. then on the next attempt after dying elsewhere (and many subsequent attempts) i died many many times mistiming a jump on that section.
  • AJ wrote:
    Mindless button bashing with pretty pictures definitely appeals to me. But, being a remaster, I may give it a miss because it won't be pretty enough to satisfy.

Asura's Wrath is even more mindless in its button bashing than GOWIII.  There's no remaster, but if you have access to a PS3 maybe the original visuals would be easier on your eye than something spruced up for a subsequent generation (although I'd guess God of War III would be one of the less fugly remasters out there).
  • I've seen PS4 level visuals now, so everything last gen is going to look rubbish to my eyes.
  • Asura's Wrath is amazing. But it's a different thing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I thought GoW3 looked pretty good. Then again, i don't have a pro, don't play many recent games, and went to it straight after Another World so my perspective is prob different! :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!