Game of the 6th Gen (PS2 era)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think the DSi was actually the first one. Which is why no one bought it.

Region-locking can fuck off and die. I get that it won't cause most people any real inconvenience but for someone like me who lives overseas region locking is a big thing. Nintendo are complete cunts with this, and so are Microsoft - people often forget the 360 was region-locked and there were several games that never got English-language releases in Asia. Fuck that shit.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The worst thing is, the DS wasn't region locked, and it didn't exactly hurt that bad boy's sales.

• Yeah, seems like a completely backwards move to me, no doubt to "ensure the best possible products and consumer choice" or some such bullshit. If the PS4 and the like were region-locked...that'd suck, but most people won't suffer that much (except a small group of people like me), but region-locked handhelds?! Really?!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Big business loves globalisation right up to the point that their customers can benefit from it at their expense.
  • Yeah, tru dat. There's also a fair few people like myself, though, who are moving away from those companies (without resorting to OMG U SUK I DEMAND... bullshit). I bought both the Gamecube and DS at launch, had GB and GBA previously, but Ninty haven't seen a penny from me since that period, due to their new-found love of portable region-locking. Doubt they care, obviously, but maybe eventually there'll be enough people doing it to cause change.

I'm the same with Microsoft - had OG Xbox and 360, but I wont be buying any more of their hardware - the 360 left a very, very bitter taste in my mouth.

Sony are also cunts, but their region locking has always been either easily circumventable (PS1 and 2) or non-existent (everything else). Plus, 100% of the hardware I bought from them still works to this day (I got lucky there, I know).

So, I'm at the point in my life where I have some money to spend on what I like (just about finished paying off debts) but I don't want to blow it. So, it's PS and PC for me this gen. Which, you know, is a shame - Majora's Mask looks good, as do a few other games, and PSN is, well...it's PSN, but I'll deal.
  • Its simply maximising their profits isn't it? Benefitting from a weak Yen. Most Japanese companies have been posting bigger profits than they've actually been making because of it.

Why sell MK8 for 32,000 Yen when the $50 the US sale exchanges to more than that?

I don't care either way tbh, just giving the explanation to those who don't know why they do it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Its simply maximising their profits isn't it?

No doubt, which is why I'm not gonna get outraged or indignant about it...I'm just walking away.

For me, if I want a region-locked console, here's my choice...I can either:

1. Buy the console in Europe for guaranteed English-language games (and then pay a premium to get those games imported in China)

Or

2. Buy the console in Asia, get games conveniently, but have no guarantee of getting an English-language version of the game. Indeed, there's no guarantee I could even use Chinese as a second language to play games as a fair few games don't get released over here.

Or, I just buy consoles without region locking and don't have to worry. That seems simpler and I'd rather use my money to do that.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    WarioWare Twisted - I got this on a trip to canada, glad I did as it was never released. You can see the beginnings of the Wii experiment here. So much joy and fun in this game, especially in the retro mans games.
    GBA games were region free werent they? Otherwise this wouldn't count.

Well I bought my GBA in Canada, sooo.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think the DSi was actually the first one. Which is why no one bought it.
    Region-locking can fuck off and die. I get that it won't cause most people any real inconvenience but for someone like me who lives overseas region locking is a big thing. Nintendo are complete cunts with this, and so are Microsoft - people often forget the 360 was region-locked and there were several games that never got English-language releases in Asia. Fuck that shit.

DSi had region Locking but only for DSi exclusive games of which there were very few. It played all the DS games fine (as the DS had no region lock).

The DSi died because its only compelling reason for getting it was the just about okay DSiWare (and that turd of a camera).
  • Its simply maximising their profits isn't it? Benefitting from a weak Yen. Most Japanese companies have been posting bigger profits than they've actually been making because of it. Why sell MK8 for 32,000 Yen when the $50 the US sale exchanges to more than that? I don't care either way tbh, just giving the explanation to those who don't know why they do it.

In addition to this it allows them to sell super high priced games locally without opening up cheaper imported games.
  • @davy: leave Driller. Sorry, didn't read all the blurb, I was trying to quickly add in everyone's votes.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Does the 3DS play any region's DS games?
  • yes
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Gonz, thanks. Lumines doesnt count as its PSP which is considered 7th gen. I've bumped Kotor 2 to 9th, let me know if you want to add in a number 10.

List taking shape.
  • 3 more people to count, I'll leave it til later. Prime will overtake...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is it weird that I reaaaalllyyy like gonzos list
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's weird you like anyone else's list but your own.

Lumines Plus was on PS2 - thought that would have counted.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is it?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not really.

Would be surprised if anyone liked mine though - I have simple tastes; eschewing the modern gaming experience. Gonzo's is very solid that way.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't like Halo 2. Has anyone mentioned Chibi Robo?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh I also think Invisible War is too fast.
  • Gonzo wrote:
    OK then, I will add Fear on xbox

Do you mean FEAR on Xbox 360???? Cos obviously that wouldn't count.
  • I am quite frankly disgusted that no one else has gone for P.N.03 at any point.

You're all fools.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Is it weird that I reaaaalllyyy like gonzos list
    I deffo take it as a compliment wish I could find everybuddys list but thred is huge

Just trust in H
  • Lumines is PSP which is comparable to DS which is post GBA though.
  • Oh fine, here's a list.

1. Soul Calibur - The fourth game of the generation I bought (shitty Ausralian DC launch). Replayed this and the mission mode for years, could beat the computer on hardest difficulty with longest rounds etc with my eyes closed. Could never beat my then gf/now wife button mashing Maxi.

2. Metal Gear Solid 3 - Its the best game in the series thanks to the wonderfully coherent sense of place. Every segment is connected, enemy can have weapon or food bunkers destroyed (effecting morale), the bosses are wonderful, the Savage mini game, getting scared shitless by The End sneaking up on you, figuring out the fake death pill, and every single moment that followed the placement of the C3. Oh, and this:
     Lw5TLRR.png?1

3. Rez - This came out when everyone I knew who was playing games was all into the amazing visuals of the PS2 MGS2 demo, Silent Hill etc. Wireframe visuals didn't get a look in. I played the demo then bought it for $99 the next day. Adam Freeland's track on Area 5 gives me goosebumps. The Area 4 running man is one of the best boss battles ever.

4. Oddworld Stranger's Wrath - Rabbid fuzzles in a trap. Loud chippunk luring enemies with dual megaphones. Thudslugs vaporising a failed attempt at capture. Easily the best FPS of the generation. 
    Because it is better than just shooting. Traps, humour, story (thats actually well written, which should be the norm, were it so easy). Genuinely heartfelt messages come through this game, a beautiful landscape that you later realise is already well corrupted. Plus you can punch chickens.

5. Super Monkey Ball - Purely for Monkey Target. I can't get very far in the main game, maybe halfway through medium. But I lost weeks to this game trying to beat high scores on the target game. Loved the moment I first hit one of the ocean star platforms.

6. Animal Crossing - The first game I ever imported. Bob is a legend. Whole rainy weekends spent inside finishing the fishing tourney. Never knew a game could be so demanding. 

7. We <3 Katamari - My, very princely indeed. Such skill. And such class. Dazzling.We feel a swoon coming on. Royal rainbow!

8. Outrun 2 - One of the few games which will be equally playable in twenty years as with all the classics. The best feeling driving model in any racing game.

9. Project Gotham Racing 2 - purely for the two hundred+ hours of online racing times, 50% of which were spent on KGB Corner and 40% on Nurburg. Good times.

10. Beyond Good and Evil - a French Zelda, with overtones of Dark City, City of Lost Children. It played simply like games like Haven: Call of The King aimed to be: simple adventures that let you do everything from stealth to action to racing to exploring to space combat to speedboats. A beautiful, self contained adventure which to this day I maintain does not need a sequel. Don't ruin this memory. 

Games that missed out and why
    Resident Evil 4 - played the Wii version which is superior. Otherwise it would be near top. The game is obscenely good. 
    Mark of Kri - a bit rough around the edges, but the crow mechanic and combat was ahead of its time, and still is. Felt like a PS2 era Melanesian or Polynesian Tenchu
    Metroid Prime - Played it first on Wii. The pointer controls are perfect for this game but I am still yet to complete it. I'm a bit of a dummy with this game.
    Advance Wars - only played it last year on Wii U. I have played and enjoyed latter games in the series, mostly the DS one.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Updated the list, votes so far all counted.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I don't get around to putting a full list together, and I likely won't, give my top marks to Halo CE.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That's a good looking list though can you get rid of that Metal Gear shite out the top ten please?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If I don't get around to putting a full list together, and I likely won't, give my top marks to Halo CE.

5 games in a list minimum please. Half Life 2 has to be top. 

Dem be da rulez. (For you)

Well one of those anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!