The B&B Metal Thread
  • Yeah I can see that :).

Love me some Red Sparowes.
  • Red Sparowes were a great little band. More pedal steel!
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • This's existence is rather unexpected:

Taken by warriors and led to sacred land.
    Entrenched within the deepest of waters.
    Locked inside a sarcophagi, awaiting the end of life.
    Tremors rock the keep releasing Ico from his tomb.
    No more a prisoner of doom.
    He combs every corridor for life.
    Hunted by his shadows, the ethereal portals call him speaking inside his head.
    The endless stair to freedom, decimated in a single second.
    He is banished to the lower chamber.
    Walls lined with suspended corpses.
    Rats feast on the engorged dead.
    Through hell and back he trekked.
    Demonic possession illustrated.
    Burr. The altar prepared for sacrifice, flesh must be given to appease the prophecy.
    Ico mutilates the infernal Matriarch, reincarnated free of demonic chains.
    Walls quake plummeting to dust around him, the only endurance is within the shadows.
    Every fibre consumed by fear, his pulse stands still.

Led to the massive shrine of worship at the center of the region.
    Wander carries with him a body wrapped in a cloak which he laid upon the altar in the shrine.
    Removing the cloak off the body of a maiden named Mono.
    She is revealed.
    A moment later several shadow like creatures with humanoid forms appear and prepare to attack.
    He dismisses them with a wave of his ancient sword.
    After vanquishing the shadow creatures, the voice of a disembodied entity echoes from above.
    He requests to return her soul and achieve the impossible.
    The 16 idols lining the temples hall must all be destroyed.
    Despite a warning and a threat of consequence,
    He sets out and searches the land for the colossi, and eliminate them.
    Sprouting horns he makes a meal of the lord Emon.
    Left with the taste the lords haemorrages, he sets out to bring forth and slay the final colossus.
    Bridges shattering behind blazing hooves at a loss for his companion.
    Victory!
    He suffers the same fate as his recent foe, only to be reborn and begin the cycle once more.
    We've achieved the impossible.
    After what seemed like a lifetime of treachery, the world is once again safe from the likes of deceit.
    The righteous prevail.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Damnit, cycled all the way to campus to do my show last night, and only remembered I left my access card at home when I arrived. D'oh. Oh well, there's always next week.

Oh, and I can heartily recommend that people search Facebook for 'Rising Tide NZ', they're a local death metal group and are absolutely epic. Think Meshuggah crossed with Raging Speedhorn.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Don't do Facebook, checked YouTube but the vid that's available isn't great.  I'll keep an ear out for 'em though Swirl.

I'm a bit in love with Deafheaven's new one, Sunbather.  After some internal deliberation I've had to admit to myself that it's trumped Vertikal to be my favourite album of the year so far.  A mind meltingly immense experimental black metal / post rock hybrid, it's a thing of beauty, the kind of record that at once fills you with joy, and saddens with the knowledge that it's like will not be seen again for some time. 

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Have (stupidly) promised to make an Introduction to Metal CD for someone (don't ask).

suggestions?

Need to be good examples, don't need to be popular/famous/greatest hits but can be. As it's an introduction to a non fan, then they should be at least listenable. No Deicide.
  • So would you like a nice broad range of metal or just some decent bog standard heavy/thrash stuff?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Um, probably decent bog standards. It's a taster CD rather than deep cuts.
  • Cool, I'll have a think and throw a few suggestions up this evening
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Have (stupidly) promised to make an Introduction to Metal CD for someone (don't ask).

suggestions?

Need to be good examples, don't need to be popular/famous/greatest hits but can be. As it's an introduction to a non fan, then they should be at least listenable. No Deicide.

Depends what you mean by 'Metal', I suppose - but here's a few that spring to mind:
    Metallica - One
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Metallica - Creeping Death
    Metallica - Seek and Destroy
    Pantera - Mouth for War
    Queens of the Stone Age - Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
    Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
    Iron Maiden - The Trooper
    Tool - Intolerance
    System of a Down - Toxicity
    Slayer - Angel of Death
    Megadeth - Holy Wars (the punishment due)

Gamertag: gremill
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Heavy on the metallica but they look good yeah.
  • You just gotta have a Skid Row track on there!

Did something similar a couple of years back for a friend who'd become obsessed with one of the Guitar Hero games.  Ended up putting a couple of dozen tracks on a USB stick, the first dozen all pre 2000 stuff, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Testament, Skid Row, Pantera, Machine Head, and White Zombie all represented iirc.

The second dozen was a selection of recentish stuff I liked, Cancer Bats, ISIS, The Hope Conspiracy, Wolves in the Throne Room and a few more.  

The first dozen were deemed acceptable, the second dozen absolutely bombed, my mate hated every one of 'em.  He got pretty heavily into Lost Prophets soon after.  What a twat.
  • Gotta get some Iced Earth, In Flames, Opeth, Stratovarius and Thy Majestie in there too.

I can see WitTR bombing with most people to be fair. Cult Of Luna might be worth a try would take up a fair chunk of the CD space
  • Ah man, In Flames and CoL are a must.  In hindsight WitTR was a bit much, but my post high school knowledge of mainstream metal has been consistantly terrible.  I had nowhere to go but the fringes.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Heavy on the metallica but they look good yeah.

Yeah, intentionally one from each of their first four LPs just because if you're going to get into metal you might as well start with the classics.

Gamertag: gremill
  • This would be my intro to metal list:

Anthrax: Madhouse
    Cult of Luna: Dim
    Deftones: Be Quiet and Drive
    Earthtone9: Ta Twam Asi
    Iced Earth: Burning Times
    In Flames: Episode 666 (or maybe Swim)
    Iron Maiden: Wrathchild & Hallowed Be Thy Name
    ISIS: Carry
    Killswitch Engage: Rose of Sharyn
    Mastodon: Crack The Skye
    Megadeath: Peace Sells
    Metallica: Master of Puppets & Creeping Death
    My Dying Bride: Sear Me III (could be a bit much but I love it)
    Neurosis: Under The Surface
    Opeth: Bleak
    Rammstein: Ich Will
    Red Sparowes: Alone and Unaware..... 
    Soilwork: Rejection Role
    Symphony X: Evolution
    Tesseract: Concealing Fate 2 -Deception
    Tool - Schism
    3 Inches of Blood: Deadly Sinners

That is missing a lot of the classical stuff that stormy mention like Testament, Skid Row et al but I'm not too well versed on that stuff.

Think you've got a nice mix of old and new, nothing too off kilter (except MDB, definitely a marmite band)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ahh, sweet.

Between you, Grem and Stormy I've got some great pointers to bands I don't personally like. Brilliant thanks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Well apart from Metallica -cause obviously they're dicks- and Tool -disappointingly- I managed to add everything there to a Xbox Music playlist.

Who knew Mustaine had remastered Peace Sells.. and fucking ruined it.
  • I did not know that, sounds like something he'd do though
  • Sky Arts were showing footage from Download over the weekend. Five hours split over 2 nights.
    Don't get the feeling the presenter is into it that much.

New Slipknot stuff does not come across very well live
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

No Deicide? GTFO.

Going through my iPod, I'd chuck on the following:

American Headcharge - Just So You Know
    Black Sabbath - Iron Man
    Carcass - Corporal Jigsore Quandary
    Cradle of Filth - Better to Reign in Hell
    Cypress Hill - (Rock) Superstar
    Dimmu Borgir - Eradication Instincts Defined
    Dry Kill Logic - A Better Man Than Me
    Emperor - Curse You All Men!
    Fear Factory - Cyber Waste
    Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
    Korn - Freak On a Leash
    Linkin Park - Crawling
    Mad Capsule Markets - All the Time in Sunny Beach
    Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Motorhead - Ace of Spades
    Pantera - Fucking Hostile (or This Love)
    A Perfect Circle - Imagine
    Rage Against the Machine - Bullet in the Head
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Rob Zombie - Dragula
    Sepultura - Troops of Doom
    Slayer - Disciple
    Slipknot - Wait and Bleed
    System of a Down - Chop Suey!
    Type O Negative - I Don't Wanna Be Me

If they get into the heavier stuff, get some Cannibal Corpse, Decide, The Berzeker, Dying Fetus, Skinless, Six Feet Under, etc.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Hrm. More good choices. I'm already up to 1hr 15. How much does a CD hold?

What I need is a storming rush of raw metal from one of the original voices in British heavy metal.

awwwww yeah.
  • For the love of all that is metal do not put Linkin Park on that list. The rest of Swirl's choices are fine, although I'd argue against GnR til I was blue in the face.

Think most CDs are 70mins
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I was thinking of Linkin Park along the lines of a 'gateway drug'. They were one of the first bands I got into, and I know they were a bit of a flash in the pan, but in terms of easing someone into the genre they're hard to beat. Hey, at least I didn't put Limp Bizkit in there. ;)

Trying to get someone into metal via (e.g.) Cannibal Corpse is going to be like introducing them to alcohol with absinthe.

GNR are in there for historical reasons. Metal is a pretty wide ranging genre (see the Perfect Circle track I chose for an example), and I was trying to cover all the bases. We've got Black Sabbath, going through the 80s hair metal/ power metal dichotomy (GNR, Pantera), into the 90s nu-metal scene with Korn, Linkin Park (and to a lesser extent, Rammstein), we cover early 90s death metal with Carcass, etc. I've got some black, death, nu, classic, power, hair and Japanese-dance metal in there. ;)
  • I'd take anything over Linkin Park. For some numetal goodness I'd go for some Taproot or 36 Crazyfists.

I totally get the GnR inclusion, I just hate them with a passion. Apart from that I like everything else, especially American Head Charge, completely forgot about them
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not familiar with Traproot or 36 Crazyfists. May have to dig them up.

I will admit the GNR are, for the most part, colossal idiots with egos to match. They're just the quintessential 80s glam band, and probably the only one that produced music that's lasted beyond the 80s.

You can't beat a good bit of American Headcharge. Well, the first album anyway. The second was awful. Not sure if they made any more.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Signed up for Xbox Music. Need a band to test it out. Why not the best death metal band of all time?

deicide_zps9e6cd39b.png

:D
  • When subjecting my girlfriend to metal in my car I've had a lot more traction with music where either she can understand the lyrics to, or the vocals are turned down so that it's more instrumental, so:

Hits

Lower than Atlantis
    Architects
    Cult of Luna

Misses

Lamb of God
    Cancer Bats (This gave her a headache)

I've been thinking about how I'd get someone into metal, and I decided that the best route is to use something with gentler vocals, and big riffs to get them hooked on the sound. Then you introduce them to metal with growled vocals that satisfies their need for big heavy riffs (something like Lamb of God's Resolution). Opeth would be a good bet for introducing growling too, since it has a nice blend of lyrical styles.
  • This is ridiculous

• Just had my sneaky first listen to the new letlive. album, The Blackest Beautiful.  It's getting some serious love in the rock press, but there wasn't a single moment on there that left me awestruck like their debut or Fake History managed so frequently and so easily.  

It's good, of that there's no doubt, and maybe I'm just expecting too much but it's being hyped as one of post hardcore's defining moments and I just can't see it.  Will give it another listen later.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!