The British Politics Thread
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    ... and not mingle. That not what a multi cultural society is about
    I get your point re: making an effort to get along with folk where you’ve emigrated to, but multicultural surely is “multiple cultures”?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most people don’t particularly mingle with the societies they were born into. They have their social circles made up of those they are related to or they’ve happened across in their lives, but that’s about as far as it goes. I don’t see much difference with immigrant communities, except maybe they share a different language.
  • If the wider world started mingling here I'd be fucking livid.
  • Kow wrote:
    A lot of people more country for purely economical reasons and understandably are not all that interested in adapting to the country they are in. It's only really a problem when they become conflictive, which is often down to the natives and not immigrants.
    This is it really. Shit loads of people don't tend to leave their home countries for fun, and don't necessarily have any interest in their new home, it's just where the money is.

If you don't want those people in your country, stop contributing to the shitness in their countries and they'll be happy to stay where they are. As long as the UK is a major beneficiary of said shitness, people will keep turning up there who couldn't give a shit about multiculturalism.
  • A couple of things, without going too heavy.

To the best of my knowledge a multi-cultural society involves different cultures existing alongside and with each other. But they combine to become a society. Simply practicing your culture in another society doesn't make that society multicultural.

I know some people will point to migrants paying taxes and that should be enough and I sort of agree and I sort of don't. For a single person, that's probably fine. But if you've brought kids with you, plan to have kids or are establishing a business - I think you owe it to the community you're in and owe it to yourself to get a bit more involved. As I've gotten older and started a family I am much more heavily involved in what goes on around me and I see that as a responsibility to both my family and the community we are part of. 

There is also the issue of where Blair was coming from.. If you take a single migrant who comes over and takes a job, pays their tax etc. its not a problem. But Blair is addressing the far-rights issues over communities of Migrants who come over and settle but do so while not integrating at all. They become an easy target for the far-right leaders to point out and say "look, they come over to earn their money but they don't want to be part of us. " Maybe if they did a bit of integration on their side, it might make them harder to become targets.
    SFV - reddave360
  • That seems a lot like blaming a victim, right there.
  • Quite. It's much more useful to examine why some nationals feel they need to target a minority at all. You don't placate fuckheads, they'll never actually be satisfied because the root of their anxiety is elsewhere and probably boringly material.
  • djchump wrote:
    That seems a lot like blaming a victim, right there.

Why are you assuming all migrants are victims? They might be searching for a better job but that could be the same as you going to work in Germany.

SFV - reddave360
  • It's just a wild power imbalance. Asking new people with slim to no structural agency to defuse a white majority's worst excesses doesn't make any sense.

Again, it's not up to them to not be such an 'easy target', it's up to the hosts to fucking behave themselves.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you have kids there's not much chance of them not "integrating" as they have to go to school. Unless of course you live in an already multicultural society which provides education specifically for minorities. Either way you have your integration.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Chinese here are very insular but their kids play with the other kids just like anyone else.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Jewish community in New York live almost completely within their own community but you don't hear complaints about them not integrating.
  • The concerns of the far-right should not need addressing or appeasing, making concessions to them is only going to strengthen the belief they have that they are in the right.
  • I think that is it though, integration isnt something that can be forced it is a naturally occurring thing.

Immigrants from similar societies will obviously integrate faster and more easily. Those from countries with societies with more differences will integrate more slowly and naturally drift towards people from their country or region of origin as they have more in common.

2 gen+ people will obviously find it easier as their frame of reference is more aligned.

On the other side of the argument I do understand people being concerned that their area is changing rapidly from what they knew. Worth noting that it is often poorer areas where people arent necessarily as well travelled.
    It's not about placating these people but understanding their concerns because ignoring them has led to Brexit, which effects everybody.
  • I think you (not you Live, one) might have a different perspective on this if you’re town is dying, there’s no money there, people are leaving, you’re stuck there and the only people that seem to be doing ok are a large influx of others that take over whole sections of the town. They talk a language you don’t understand, don’t make any effort to talk to you, and fill up your dilapidated public services.

This is a legitimate grievance about the management of the economy and migration. Either mainstream politicians are doing something about it or the far right will come in and fill that gap. The problem is mainstream politicians have no clue how to address these concerns. It involves a level of government involvement that none of them believe should be happening.
  • I agree Monkey.
    It's no good telling people multiculturalism is a good thing while their lives are getting worse, it might not be the cause but it is the most visible change for many.

And again agreed. If our current politicians wont listen to these concerns then the people holding them will find a politician who will.
  • I am just talking from pure cursory knowledge of this shit, but can't everything about that be traced back to Capitalism favouring corporationsover people, those who earn money getting rich and avoiding tax, siphoning money away from those that need it, rather than immigrants? It's just classic misdirection, same with the whole "dole scrounge" rhetoric. Communities aren't dying because Muslims refuse to integrate, they're dying because for decades the wedge driven between people has been widened by a political class that understand how to prey on jealousy and fear, using tabloids to make everyone simuletaneosuly fear and envy their neighbours. Now that they're immigrants and non-white it's even easier to point out the people to hate, and the internet allows people to get involved in their own little bubbles and never see the light of day. Having joined some local community facebook pages over the years they're embarassingly petty little places that undermine the very idea of community. If community needs to be created again to make people band together, it can't just be placed at the feet of immigrants to sort it out, it needs to be a collective effort by everyone in a local area.
  • Obvz can't link to hard facts here cos I am lazy and at work, so I may be totally off base, but the whole thing just seems overwhelmingly crass.
  • Also, the whole 'migrants refuse to integrate' is bollocks.

You might get individual cases, but on the whole they do. Moving to an area where there are people they know isn't refusing to integrate, it's common fucking sense.
  • If there’s a bunch of people from a certain background, race, religion, etc they tend to clump together. Pissed up old English tits on the Costa, muslims in Bradford, whatever.
  • Maybe to put it from another perspective, quite a few people on hear are migrants. I'll assume most are jobs related. So I'd ask when you went to these other countries did you make yourself aware of the customs, try and pick up a few key phrases if there was a foreign language? Did you look to partake in the customs and social opportunities of the native culture or did you by choice or otherwise find yourself look to create home from home.

Theres some good points raised here and it's made me rethink my position a little. I do think there is an odd generalisation among some that migrants are poorer and must be victims of Britain's control in the wider world and I don't agree.

The issue of colour has been raised been brought up as if rejection of immigration is a white man issue. I don't think it is, not just because Brexit was as much aimed at sending eastern Europeans home as any coloured person but because I know a Sri Lanka gentleman who lives in Ireland and has a huge fear of the Muslim invaders coming into his country (his words not mine) he is generally a gentle, loving man and I find some of his comments quite jarring but such is life.

I'm not and never have been a patriotic type, the foreign influx into Dublin in the last 20 years has been great for me in near all aspects of my life. But while I don't agree with them, I do understand how people feel when their home is changed due to outside influence. Bad enough when the outside influence is the rich Irishman buying up all the apartments in your area forcing your friends and family away. It can feel worse when it's someone who has just moved to the country. For them the change is negative.

I'd agree it shouldn't and isn't the sole responsibility of those coming to a country to integrate and I haven't a clue how you really can manage it with policy. But I do believe multi cultural society is better when everyone brings something to it and we don't just live side by side. In this I still think Blair was correct when he said that multiculturalism shouldn't be seen as justification for a refusal to integrate
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Oh, so it's the migrants fault is it?

No, what he is saying is fine. If you go to a society you have to be aware of how it works and if that suits how you want to live. You can still keep your own culture within that remit and it gives less scope for racists to point fingers.

I have a friend who married a Finnish woman and then moved to Finland and hasn't bothered to really integrate himself. He doesn't speak the language and is very much an outsider. He got a job in an English speaking Irish bar and sticks to Irish and English nationals over there. He complains a lot about Finland but it's clear to all of us that he is as much of his own problem.

I wholeheartedly agree. If you aren't an immigrant or have experience of migrating, maybe you should listen to stories like that. Imagine there are tens of thousands of Anglo Irish migrants per year to Finland, and in order to make it work economically they live in the same area and barely speak the lingo. The Finns will soon have a problem with that. It's a natural reaction. That's not to excuse specific instances of xenophobia or racism, or not to praise the rare beasts like Dante who seem to welcome the differences in his society. But racism and xenophobia are predictable consequences of unfettered, concentrated migration by people who won't or can't integrate.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/20/tony-blair-says-migrants-must-integrate-to-combat-far-right

How about you just fuck off and never come back, unless its to stand trial for war crimes?

Blair knows under his watch the UK lazily allowed migration as a cheap economic measure, and didn't think through the social and cultural consequences. He deserves credit for saying this as it is hard to tell the truth here without seeming illiberal.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • @dave - I brought up colour because you were speaking about something Blair had said with regards to the far right, and the far right seem quite concerned with colour. I know Muslims and Poles and all sorts of folk who have issues with immigration too, so if we want to get very specific I guess we can.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @dave - I brought up colour because you were speaking about something Blair had said with regards to the far right, and the far right seem quite concerned with colour. I know Muslims and Poles and all sorts of folk who have issues with immigration too, so if we want to get very specific I guess we can.

It's not the colour of the migrant I'm referring to tempy, it's that a certain fear of immigration isn't just a white man issue. I'm sure if you want to a country with no white people, they would still have fears of people from country x coming in and taking their jobs.
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I agree Monkey.
    It's no good telling people multiculturalism is a good thing while their lives are getting worse, it might not be the cause but it is the most visible change for many.

And again agreed. If our current politicians wont listen to these concerns then the people holding them will find a politician who will.

At this point I am 100% confident that people who back multiculturalism are hypocritical nimbys.

• Studies show that they are generally the people with the most exposure to immigrants. Which makes sense really, they cant be the boogeyman if theyre your mate.
  • I'm not sure I understand that comment (@armitage). I would think dante's description is pretty closer to the actual (unless you mean those who are pushing multiculturalism as a policy?)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Studies show that they are generally the people with the most exposure to immigrants. Which makes sense really, they cant be the boogeyman if theyre your mate.

Show me the studies.

• Successful integration is a two-way process, meaning some effort is required by the hosts also. An analogy would be inviting guests round to your house, as a host you would normally offer them their preference in tea, meals, take an interest and ask about their lives and get to know and understand them better. If you just expect them to eat/drink/listen/watch/talk about everything you like and get annoyed if they seem a bit disinterested then you are probably bit of a cunt IMO.

Someone's home is a bit different to a large stretch of land obviously, but my strong belief is that every patch of land, every grain of sand belongs to everyone. It's a heritage that is shared by all the human race. Fuck this territorial shit. If you feel like your culture is being threatened just by the proximity of people with other beliefs or ways of life then perhaps there isn't so much substance to yours..
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I'm not sure I understand that comment (@armitage). I would think dante's description is pretty closer to the actual (unless you mean those who are pushing multiculturalism as a policy?)

The people in my social circles (London, Oxbridge or university educated, top 5% income wise etc) mostly live in areas with no massive influx of immigration by one group. They seek out the benefits of immigration with usually none of the downsides.

I'm not saying the people in and around me are not less racist, but I'm saying there is a reason they are less racist. They decry other people's racism (ie in the north) but never ever have to deal with those people's experience (see monkeys post further up which put it rather well)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!