The British Politics Thread
  • They've literally thought "Well he's Australian, and that's an island surrounded by people even more foreign than the French so he's our man for post Brexit".
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Gosh, who would have thought that Trump would be the butt of so many jokes?! Gosh.
    And Brexit?! Noooooo, surely not! It’s been such a serious and sensible endeavour throughout.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh shit... I stupidly started to read the comments.

• I mean...that’s a pretty solid way of studying and analysing bias, no?

When I was doing my thesis and wanted to analyse gender bias in Chinese uni textbooks, I took a large sample of textbooks at intermediate and advanced level, went through every text, and noted the position, language and job etc. of every character and person mentioned, and compared it to gender.

If the sample is large enough, it’s a decent way of displaying overall bias.

This was based on the official UN materials used to study and analyse gender bias in school texts and is freely available online.

So, counting jokes? Yeah. Seems fine.

The problem I see here isn’t the method - it’s the sample size which is tiny, the short duration, the lack of comparison texts on other channels (as a control) etc.
  • You would need a comparison of when Labour were in power too.
  • My problem is I couldn't give a hoot about bias or whatever. These shows are just doing what they've always done, poked fun at whoever is in power. To try and paint it as the beeb caught in the act, or that it's in any way an EXCLUSIVE ALL CAPS, is laughable in and of itself.
  • Not sure they keep footage that old...
  • Pretty sure New Labour got it tight off HIGNFY.
    My problem is I couldn't give a hoot about bias or whatever. These shows are just doing what they've always done, poked fun at whoever is in power. To try and paint it as the beeb caught in the act, or that it's in any way an EXCLUSIVE ALL CAPS, is laughable in and of itself.

Aye, it’s certainly a poor “study”.

Just saying joke counting ain’t a bad method, that’s all.
  • New Labour got tonnes of shit, with the addition of the tabloids amplifying every mistake and opportunity for ridicule.

Even then there’s an objective difference between the first and second decades of the century. It’s not going to be a like for like comparison. By any objective interpretation the past 5 years have been a total shitshow.
  • Yes, but it's not fair that all of the lefty snowflakes are laughing at the right - it's upsetting to them. Just you wait until the right get good at comedy!
    Gamertag: gremill
    My problem is I couldn't give a hoot about bias or whatever. These shows are just doing what they've always done, poked fun at whoever is in power. To try and paint it as the beeb caught in the act, or that it's in any way an EXCLUSIVE ALL CAPS, is laughable in and of itself.

Aye, it’s certainly a poor “study”.

Just saying joke counting ain’t a bad method, that’s all.
    You're not wrong at all. Joke count / language used would absolutely be reasonable ways of doing this properly.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message

Well the accusation is that they haven't, and bias is at play.  So surely disproving that (e.g. evidence of what happened under Labour) is useful?
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Well the accusation is that they haven't, and bias is at play.  So surely disproving that (e.g. evidence of what happened under Labour) is useful?

No because it probably will be less for Labour because they (and no other government of right or left) ever got themselves into a mess like Brexit.
  • I, for one, am disgusted that there is such an obvious bias towards jokes about farts and bodily functions than the crop rotation system in the 14th century.
  • They are getting really good at dividing us into opposing sides aren't they ?
    (Joke intended)

On a more serious point, I personal feel that the gutting of the BBC that has been going on and continues to go on is a shame. Yes it has its faults but what doesnt? Some of the best comedy, documentary, drama and ,yes, News work has come from the BBC and while channel 4 does cover some of those cracks now, the BBC was at one point the envy of what a public broadcaster could and should be. There shouldnt be a push on getting a balanced view. Just use the fact shotgun and move away from pointless talking heads (a little of that is fine but its fast becoming the majority of what news is)
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you count jokes from 2005-10, 10-15 and 15-20, then that might show you something.
    Hypothesis 1 being that 15-20 will show a marked increase in governmental teasing because of marked increase in governmental incompetence.
    Hypothesis 2 is that 15-20 will see increase in Opposition teasing for same incompetence increase.
    Hypothesis 3 and 4 is that 2010-15 has same increase across both compared to 05-10.

Essentially there’s just more politics everywhere. You’re not dredging around for news, now adding in some celebrity stuff to mix it up etc. There’ll be episodes of HIGNFY that will be all Brexit and Trump and they wouldn’t have been able to fit all of their jokes in.
  • A week later the May 29 episode featured no fewer than 27 jokes about Mr Johnson's chief adviser Dominic Cummings after his visit to Durham during lockdown. Hislop suggested that Mr Cummings “should resign” on three occasions.

Well, yeah. It was an objectively ridiculous situation ripe for comedy. Like a lot of other shit this Government does. Same with Trump.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jokes and impersonations etc are best went aimed at characters.

The only characters we have now are Trump and Brexiteering cunts.

So it comes as no surprise that they are the subject of jokes.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Pretty much everyone in the country thought Cummings should resign, it wasn’t just ‘biased lefty BBC comedians’.

EDIT: ignoring the idiotic idea that Ian Hislop is some kind of left wing firebrand
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    He should have been sacked, the creepy little bastard
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

No because it probably will be less for Labour because they (and no other government of right or left) ever got themselves into a mess like Brexit.

But the counterargument is that that's subjective. That Brexit is a glorious, democratic reclaiming of sovereignty. And hence not at all deserving of comic mirth. That isn't the side of the argument I'd be on, but is hard to totally objectively counter.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    But the counterargument is that that's subjective. That Brexit is a glorious, democratic reclaiming of sovereignty. And hence not at all deserving of comic mirth. That isn't the side of the argument I'd be on, but is hard to totally objectively counter.

Is is subjective to make jokes about giving a contract to a ferry company with no ferries that used a template contract for food delivery? Or a minister admitting they hadn't realised we were quite reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In their eyes: yes
  • They cry snowflake then act all butthurt.
    Fucking gammon snowflakes.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    In their eyes: yes

Then it's pointless to even engage them as they are detatched from reality.
  • Do people still watch bbc comedy?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah maybe. But it's frickin hard when they have all the power, if you don't engage somehow they just seize more and more. It's kinda fucked. But I don't know how to engage in a way that isn't already on their biased terms.
  • Those currently in power the butt of most jokes shocker.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!