Game mechanics/conventions I am done with
  • I'm pretty sure most ubisoft games are aptly described with the word 'shit'.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • i very nearly avoided trials because of ubisoft.

the AC games mostly annoy me as there was so much potential, all ham fisted up in a yearly profit cycle.
  • Shiny collectibles in action games. Please, if you want to be an action game.with a tightly pitched excitement curve then don't fucking tease me which off the beaten path shit
  • Smang wrote:
    i very nearly avoided trials because of ubisoft. the AC games mostly annoy me as there was so much potential, all ham fisted up in a yearly profit cycle.

As long as you steer clear of their AAA games, they are one of the best.
  • Far cry 3 (or 2, code and g) was great. Prince games were mostly great. Ac 1 was flawed but great. Splinter cells various are great.

But yes, lot of shit in between.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Most of their great games were back on the PS2 generation. Beyond Good and Evil, Rayman, Sands of Time, Rainbow Six 3 (and earlier), Splinter Cell etc. 

The past 5 years of output has been Assassins Creed and that series is pants.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    @Facewon @IanHamlett How good was FSW! I loved the fact that smoke actually did something useful in allowing safe cover bounding. I even used to use the smoke grenades in Splinter Cell VS mode to hide from snipers in some maps, thanks to inspiration from FSW.
    It was very special and I'm surprised the rest of gaming didn't take more from it. It completely took over the way I saw the world for about 2 years. Even now I probably subconsciously map out all the good cover in an area. 

My biggest disappointment with Gears of War was when I'd try to flank the enemy and my whole team would come with me. Just fucking stay where you are and we'll have them caught in the crossfire. Do you even remember basic training?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Hey, There were squad controls in gears! You could make them stay in cover with one button and press forward with the other. I think you could also get them to converge on the player. You had to hit the left bumper I think.

Never, ever used it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's been a long time but I remember the squad controls being useless. Like basically an agro setting or something equally useless.
  • Smang wrote:
    i very nearly avoided trials because of ubisoft. the AC games mostly annoy me as there was so much potential, all ham fisted up in a yearly profit cycle.

As long as you steer clear of their AAA games, they are one of the best.

Last 2 Rayman games out did Nintendo for platformers IMO.

Fuck all the other junk though.
  • I'm near the end of the last Call of Juarez and it's not bad at all. I thought FC3 was fun too, despite being jank as fuck. Thing is, Watch Doge, Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed 2-9, and to a lesser extent, The Crew are doing the same shit.
  • I would so play Watch Doge.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Playing a Character that have to slaughter hundreds of enemies out of context.
    Industry wide. This can fuck off. Full Spectrum Warrior managed to make one guy behind a bin a real challenge to your 2x 4 man teams and that was in a war zone. Modern shooters are just re-skinned Space Invaders and we need a rethink.

Amazing video. It's something I've been pondering myself recently, why do most games I play involve shooting and/or hitting stuff? why do most of the games I've ever played in my life involve shooting and/or hitting stuff?
  • Shooting is binary. Or at least starts from a binary starting point. You can add variations like hit count and hit areas that take more range but ultimately it is quite simple. Jumping on a Goomba is roughly the same as a headshot.

Hiding stuff requires many more variables and AI that can do a convincing job of maybe finding hidden item.

Games should be better but it is still a big ask.
  • There are good reasons why shooting is in games. Judging the trajectory of an enemy and your bullet worked in Missile Command. Firs person perspective is especially suited to getting line of sight on a guy that's trying to get line of sight on you. That's the other component with shooting. The enemy shooting at you adds all sorts to the mix.

But the case he makes in the first part of that vid is that the creative effort put into shooters in the last 20 years hasn't been seen in other places.
  • That's because a large swathe of fps games are about military fetishism. 

Ironically the most authentic military themed games tend not to get over excited about blowing up certain ethnic groups or geopolitical powers. Games like Arma or operation flashpoint.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Guns are a bit unfair really. There's only so much choice you have in getting shot which leads to some distancing mechanics. Players have more options in regards to swords and fists.
  • Button mashing to complete a QTE is completely unacceptable
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shooting is overdone to the detriment of other genres (and maybe to new ones). I like it in trad space shooters/STGS/shmups but little else. Love a good 2D run and gun though like Contra and Metal Slug

What is interesting to note is that Nintendo tend not to overuse it. There's Metroid and Starfox that are based around it. There are elements of it in Zelda and Mario but you have to go back quite a bit to find much more of it in their catalogue. There's Duck Hunt, Sheriff and Radar Scope -  cabinets of which ended up being converted to Donkey Kong.

Looking at their take on fighting games it would be interesting to see what they would do with an FPS - though I would like to see it as new IP. Is Splatoon a move in that direction? Haven't really looked at it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From the sounds of things, Splatoon is, yes.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I'm near the end of the last Call of Juarez and it's not bad at all.

Gunslinger?  Bought that on PSN a for a fiver a while ago and forgot all about it.  Liked the look of it, apparently the action is quite funnelled/linear?

I struggle with manual save points in modern games.  Save pillars, vendors that save your progress etc - somewhere you have to traipse to if you decide you've had enough.  It's a bit of a 3DS thing, maybe.  I've been spoilt with auto saves and I expect them these days.  Finding save points was fine in years gone by, but they should be as dead as Game Over after three lives in a world where an 8hr game is 'criminally short'.  It takes long enough to see the end of games without having to replay sections due to outmoded genre conventions.
  • Clocked Gunslinger last night and it was great. Sags a little in the middle but nice and short and with a nice scoring system for anyone that wants to go back.
  • Yeah I thought it was great. Score attack is loads of fun.
  • Plus it's a good Western
  • Most successful gamification of quickdraw standoffs.
  • You obviously haven't played the Wii port of Mad Dog McCree 2: The Lost Gold.
  • Must point out how much I hate Football games trying to be like the Sky sports. PES games are the worst - all those crap cut scenes of the players lined up in the tunnel etc. - does anyone bother with them ever?

And automatic replays on everything can feck off too. If its a screamer, just let me select from the options thanks.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You obviously haven't played the Wii port of Mad Dog McCree 2: The Lost Gold.

I like a good light gun game. This isn't one.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I never completed Red Dead Revolver because the last couple of quick draw boss fights were fucking insanely hard.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!