DCS A10C Warthog (aka, metagonzo sent me!)
  • Welcome to the forum, rossi.

The flight sim I'm interestd in is this:

• Welcome aboard new chap!

pull up a chair

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    welcome aboard rossi.

that sim looks amaze and hard work.
    utill console is capable of pulling something like that detail im stuck flying jets in to other jets on bf3.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Skerret wrote:
    I wonder if Elm plays flight sims.

Pretty sure he does, he posted explaining that previously. Now what he does is essentially a sim but real, HOLY FUCK.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cheers Ross-EEEEE i'll inquire as to purchasing. And making time. Have to say I love the esoteric military jargon.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Maybe this thread could expand it's remit to include anything relevant to flight sims in general. As terrifying awesome as DCS is I'm sure there's room for some good chat about some others as well.   

We don't already have a flight sim thread, right?
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • If anyone is interested and they have the game, im willing to spend time teaching you the ropes. It's easy to put up a server and put on a simple training mission.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:

I thought about one drunk once. I don't think it got past planning stage.
  • metagonzo wrote:
    Maybe this thread could expand it's remit to include anything relevant to flight sims in general. As terrifying awesome as DCS is I'm sure there's room for some good chat about some others as well.   

Or just sims in general. Lots of great racing sims out there too.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Well let's see how it pans out and rossi can update the OP when required, if he's keen.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • I think ArmA 2 can come under the Simulator umbrella! Which opens it up somewhat.

• Heh.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • do you like lifts?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I like flight sims!

Tried LO:FC2 once but never got past setting up the basic controls for it. DCS Blackshark & Warthog are games i've been looking out for on steam, waiting for a decent sale but I much prefer the WW2 sims like il2. Been waiting for il2 cliffs of dover patch to fix the game for a year now (and it's finally been released) so will probably be going back to that pretty soon.

Also, love Arma 2 and I can't wait to try Arma 3 next month (playable alpha supposed to be out in June).

Rossi, are you into space 'sims' at all? If you are you should check out Evochron Mercenary. (Downloadable demo on the website). It's quite an indie game but it was released recently on steam and the combat is great.

P.S. What Hotas system do you use? I use an x52 pro with free track. Always wanted a trackir but have learned to be happy with free track, which from what i've read is more flexible than trackir anyway. (If I were to get a trackir i'd get it second hand anyway as Natural Point are notoriously anti-competitive).
  • I like flight sims!

Tried LO:FC2 once but never got past setting up the basic controls for it. DCS Blackshark & Warthog are games i've been looking out for on steam, waiting for a decent sale but I much prefer the WW2 sims like il2. Been waiting for il2 cliffs of dover patch to fix the game for a year now (and it's finally been released) so will probably be going back to that pretty soon.

Also, love Arma 2 and I can't wait to try Arma 3 next month (playable alpha supposed to be out in June).

Rossi, are you into space 'sims' at all? If you are you should check out Evochron Mercenary. (Downloadable demo on the website). It's quite an indie game but it was released recently on steam and the combat is great.

P.S. What Hotas system do you use? I use an x52 pro with free track. Always wanted a trackir but have learned to be happy with free track, which from what i've read is more flexible than trackir anyway. (If I were to get a trackir i'd get it second hand anyway as Natural Point are notoriously anti-competitive).

I had Lock On:FC1 but never got FC2. You just missed a Steam sale which had A10C on there for a tenner! It'll be around again im sure.

I do love WW2 sims too, I played IL2 and all of its updates for ages. I have Cliffs of Dover but the game was so bugged and so utterly useless that I gave up on it. Rumour is the patch hasn't resolved most of the issues.

ArmA is a fave of mine too. Myself and Metagonzo used to play that a lot and it's predecessor Op Flash. I still hate Codemasters for completely ruining the Op Flash name.

I've not tried many space sims, but they intrigue me. I quite like the look of that Lunar Lander game on Steam.

I uses the X52 HOTAS (non Pro) and TrackIR5. I tried to use FaceTrackNOIR but it wasn't very responsive.

Catch me on steam if you're up for a game of something... tgukrossi

Edit: Eagle Dynamics are in the process of moving all their sims to a single 'Core' engine. Which means, much like FSX you'll be able to add in third party items and buy and download their new aircraft when they're released.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I like the attention to detail that explanation of Warthog as CAS I believe it was completely satisfied my acronym and abbreviation kink for the day. Welcome fred.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Do you have a survey that needs filling in, or an iOS game to push? NO?!

This place is going to shit.

Still, it's one more real person than nu-edge managed to attract. Oh yeah, and welcome.
  • Skerret wrote:

Nope; except the obvious work ones.  I've never been able to get into any of the serious ones, as they almost always get virtually everything wrong.  Weapon load outs, tactics, systems, call signs, airspace management, it's all generally outwith the remit of the average sim (as well it should be, considering even callsign-to-platform matches are classified).  

I spent 4 years as a CAS pilot (albeit amongst other roles) and I think it's far, far too dynamic a situation to really be able to represent in a sim.  We have a training centre with an array of linked sims to allow us to practice this; the ground troops actually sit in a tent, with one wall that's a screen linked to a projector, simulating that they're holed up somewhere.  A big control room has guys moving the ground troops and handling radios, and there are some sims for helicopters and jets so everything can be integrated.  What you really need though is someone playing every role, you couldn't simulate a CAS brief with any real accuracy.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Cheers Ross-EEEEE i'll inquire as to purchasing. And making time. Have to say I love the esoteric military jargon.

You people realise I've been here for 7 years if you wanted esoteric military jargon, right?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Skerret wrote:

Nope; except the obvious work ones.  I've never been able to get into any of the serious ones, as they almost always get virtually everything wrong.  Weapon load outs, tactics, systems, call signs, airspace management, it's all generally outwith the remit of the average sim (as well it should be, considering even callsign-to-platform matches are classified).  

I spent 4 years as a CAS pilot (albeit amongst other roles) and I think it's far, far too dynamic a situation to really be able to represent in a sim.  We have a training centre with an array of linked sims to allow us to practice this; the ground troops actually sit in a tent, with one wall that's a screen linked to a projector, simulating that they're holed up somewhere.  A big control room has guys moving the ground troops and handling radios, and there are some sims for helicopters and jets so everything can be integrated.  What you really need though is someone playing every role, you couldn't simulate a CAS brief with any real accuracy.

At least I can pretend and make 'Neeeeeeeaooooooowwwww' noises. :)
  • Well, you crack on then.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Elm, hit me with some esoteric military jargon please.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • My favourite brevity term is when an angry, gruff-voiced man asks me to sparkle.
  • I have an image in my head as to what that means.....  i'm almost certain its wrong...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought Elm was a pilot. Now he might actually be a rent boy.
  • No, I'm much more pilot than rent boy.

Sparkling is when you fire an infra-red laser at something to mark it for people using low-light kit like night vision goggles.  You get told to look for something, and if someone else needs to see it (like you're watching a building full of bad guys, and there's a special forces team advancing on it), you get the command to "sparkle target."  

If someone else airborne is interested in the target, they'll get the command "match sparkle," and you overlay your laser spots to make sure you're looking at the same thing.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm as joyous and full of respect as the last time I visited Duxford airfield.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!