Shenmue 3!
  • Somebody needs to knock out a Shenmue II remaster lickety split to ride this wave of optimism. I've never played any so I need some shiny update to give a shit. Canny move by Sony though, keep stretching those goals and they won't need to put in a pound.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Ooops, I never bothered to finish Shenmue 2 despite buying it twice. How did it end again?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    bogard wrote:
    Ooops, I never bothered to finish Shenmue 2 despite buying it twice. How did it end again?

Spoiler responses, must finish it.

Loved Shenmue 1, but didn't have the time to devote to II at the time.
  • I had 2 on the Xbox. Think it came with a DVD showing what happened in the first.

I never finished it anyway - got a bit boring TBH.
  • Spoiler:
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I can't wait for this to be shit

Why?
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Open world Shenmue!

The project costs would probably spiral out of control in the billions....
    Not to mention the development time.
  • Thanks. I still wonder how much better the Xbox port would have sold if they had actually bothered to port the first one.

Holding the US Dreamcast release hostage also didn't help.
  • The japanese voiceovers were also waaaay better than the english ones.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    The japanese voiceovers were also waaaay better than the english ones.

That's because you're not Japanese (you aren't are you?)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Interesting FAQ on the Kickstarter for this (which is at almost 3m, BTW), versions for other formats have 'not been decided yet'. Not ruled out, then.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I can't wait for this to be shit

Why?

I'm joking
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s wrote:
    The japanese voiceovers were also waaaay better than the english ones.
    That's because you're not Japanese (you aren't are you?)

Irrelevant as the engrish voice over was easily on par or worse than the original Resident Evil.
    And there's a lot more dialogue in Shenmue than in RE.

Altho' Ryo's classic line: "I'm looking for Sailors" did spawn this.
  • That's the three million dollar milestone reached now.

we live in amazing times

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    :) Also, I do think there's something pretty distasteful about Sony begging for $5 contributions and devs whoring themselves out for $10k dinners.

Exactly.

Cause' like, Yu Suzuki really needs the facking money.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Back to interesting stretch goals now that boring FIGS subtitle shit is out of the way.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Money well spent. You're effectively just paying to board the Shenmue hype train.
    It can't be overstated that the Shenmue reveal at the Sony conference was the single greatest gaming reveal of all fucking time. It's gamings first "where were you when the bomb dropped?" moment, and there won't be another like it for decades now.
    While it's all great lols for people with little interest in the series, it's worth remembering that all over the world, grown men wept when that cherry blossom appeared on the giant screen. You can't put a price on that. It was a real thing.
    Sony has been incredibly clever with the whole Kickstarter Hype Generator. It's really quite unprecedented.
    Five years ago, I remember joking that all Sony had to do to win E3 was to run a video of the feather falling from The Last Guardian, play the music from Miller's Crossing, then stick a release date on the screen. This week they basically did exactly that with Shenmue III, and no-one will ever top that for a reveal.

Shenmue isn't for everyone, but for those whose hearts it touched all those years ago, this is literally the stuff that dreams are made of.

I'll always remember where I was that day

g.man
  • Next bomb:
    Kickstarter-Last Guardian.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Money well spent. You're effectively just paying to board the Shenmue hype train.
    It can't be overstated that the Shenmue reveal at the Sony conference was the single greatest gaming reveal of all fucking time. It's gamings first "where were you when the bomb dropped?" moment, and there won't be another like it for decades now.
    While it's all great lols for people with little interest in the series, it's worth remembering that all over the world, grown men wept when that cherry blossom appeared on the giant screen. You can't put a price on that. It was a real thing.
    Sony has been incredibly clever with the whole Kickstarter Hype Generator. It's really quite unprecedented.
    Five years ago, I remember joking that all Sony had to do to win E3 was to run a video of the feather falling from The Last Guardian, play the music from Miller's Crossing, then stick a release date on the screen. This week they basically did exactly that with Shenmue III, and no-one will ever top that for a reveal.

Shenmue isn't for everyone, but for those whose hearts it touched all those years ago, this is literally the stuff that dreams are made of.

I'll always remember where I was that day

g.man

Sorry pal
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VE2Dc1sx71U
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I think the problem with this is a number (id wager) are jumping on the hype train without knowing why (generally, not here, to clarify).

If Shenmue was such a success, 3 would have happened already. Heck, 2 had 2 chances on 2 systems.

The fans will love it and props to them, the rest might just be a tad shocked by what Shenmue really is and how slow it is

Just my thoughts. Uncomfortable as I am with the funding I will bag a PC version. Can't call myself SEGA otherwise. :)
  • Is G still jet lagged? I can't tell.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I want QTEs, because choreographed fighting is a key ingredient of Shenmue, but non-fans will balk.  Fuck 'em though, gimme proper flowing martial arts stuff.
  • I'm enjoying G's enjoyment and passion, but I don't share it. Good stuff sir, great post.

Quite an obvious thing to say though is why did people (ie Sega) get this soooooo wrong? If there's this much demand, that what 100,000 people (?) are so desperate to play Shenmue 3 that they'll pay in advance with no guarantee of quality or release date, then why on earth has nobody done something about it before?

And the obvious follow-up - where else is there huge pent-up demand that's not getting served? On a lesser scale there's the Banjo homage/sequel thingy.
  • I applaud G man's passion and enthusiasm. More of that please for whatever game you guys are passionate about. I personally am so over the moon that TLG was shown and will/may actually see the light of day. I don't quite have what it takes to put my enthusiasm into words like G has.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, for all my LOL that's ridiculous comments about the reactions, it's good to see people so excited about their hobby.

Ya mentals.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Nah, you got nothing H.
    A Zelda game? really? There are always new Zelda games being released. Shenmue III is the golden fucking unicorn of gaming. It's the one game that you could legit bet your house on never being made and no-one would question your sanity.

You'll need to do better than Zelda brah

g.man
  • WorKid wrote:
    I'm enjoying G's enjoyment and passion, but I don't share it. Good stuff sir, great post. Quite an obvious thing to say though is why did people (ie Sega) get this soooooo wrong? If there's this much demand, that what 100,000 people (?) are so desperate to play Shenmue 3 that they'll pay in advance with no guarantee of quality or release date, then why on earth has nobody done something about it before? And the obvious follow-up - where else is there huge pent-up demand that's not getting served? On a lesser scale there's the Banjo homage/sequel thingy.

Sega can't afford it, and lets be honest, outside of their PC offerings have veered from blunder to blunder in recent years. I'm pretty sure they greenlit, and cancelled the game at least twice over the years.

No one has done anything over the years because of the fears about the cost. Plus, without something like Kickstarter, you don't actually have a decent way of knowing what the actual interest is. Shenmue fans are very vocal, but how many of them actually are there? Shenmue sold 1.2 million on the DC, which for the install base is astonishing, but it's not a number that will get most publishers pulses racing. Everything has to be a blockbuster, no one seems content with making some money, it has to be all of the money. Look at Square and their ludicrous statements on Hitman and Tomb Raider.

As for other stuff that has demand not being served, horror games. Someone should snap up Silent Hills.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ever wonder if Sony wanted to downplay the amount of waiting time for TLG, so went and grabbed one of the most famous pieces of vaporware and breathed life into it

Twilight Princess is no real comparison, people hasn't been waiting specifically for a game for around 15 years. The amount of Internet rumours about whether it existed, bloody ridiculous
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • There are more horror games than ever, Dante. Fucking all over the shop, aren't they?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!