Nintendo Switch
  • There's a mode in Firewatch that makes you navigate just using a map and scenery, isn't there? If I'm remembering that right, you might want to go for that, Bob.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Firwwatch is great but has a terrible, terrible end
  • I loved the ending. It all seemed perfect.
  • I thought the ending was great.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I hated it that much I can't even remember it, I did post in the thread at the time though
  • Well if you can’t remember it then I assure you it was great. You just got it wrong.
  • Spoiler; the butler did it.
  • I played an hour of it on PS4 and forgot about it.
  • Then you’re not remembering right too.
  • I hated it that much I can't even remember it, I did post in the thread at the time though

I bet the ending ages well and I thought it was pretty much pitch perfect. Takes balls to do that. A bit like her.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There's an extra eShop update out today. Arcade Archives Donkey Kong Jr. has been released.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Ooooh, Octopath Traveller is half price.
    I was thinking I’m gonna need a game to keep me busy between Xmas and New Years
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think I like Firewatch so much because it's stayed with me. Most games don't imprint so much but this really did, and continues to do so. If you play it Bob post a quick review.

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ooooh, Octopath Traveller is half price.

whatttttttttt
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • So last post of mine on this comparison between Advance Wars and Into the Breach. The first Kanbei missions in AW were my task last night, and I did the first one easily enough, but his second (or third) with the bridges separating the top left quadrant to the remaining 3/4 of the map is the one I mean.

This one.

Basically I did the usual "create chokepoints" strategy only I fucked up, they broke through after 7 days or so and I had crumbs left. But enough money to build an APC, which got taken down to 3 hits after it was built. Still managed to take it all the way to the bottom-right base and capture it while his troops were the only other thing I needed to take out.

What I took away from this is my preference for getting to the brink of defeat, seriously considering yielding and going again, but pressing on and finding another way. ITB on the other hand is filled with more moments where you realise "well, time to abandon timeline" because of impossible start points.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I liked the ending to Firewatch as well.

And I bought Balhalla and Marble It Up because I'm a sucker for the balls. Marble It Up looks like Marble Blast on Xbox360 so that's why it forced my hand. Loved that game.
  • I think the comparison is largely undermined by the fact that they’re not really remotely the same game, despite their graphics choice and general appearance.

ITB is far more focussed on control of board positions and the ability to block and redirect damage. Units in AW target each other, whereas units in ITB frequently target non-unit tiles, or have indirect target effects. There is no rock paper scissors between units to consider in ITB, just flat damage numbers, and the subsequent positioning that your attacks will lead to.

My success rate went up in ITB after I got given the advice that mobility far outweighs the benefits of any damage you can deal, which is because of the fact that most of the useful things you can do in any scenario in ITB is move yourself or a Vek unit with an attack.

Essentially I think the comparison is fairly superficial, because there’s very little opprurntiy to use attrition, pickering, choke points or bait in ITB. You have almost no strategy or tactical tools, because it isn’t a strategy game. You have a limited set of tools that can get you out of most situations, if you plan for eventualities, and those situations present themselves essrntsllyn as short form puzzles where 90% of your information is in front of you.

AW has a lot more hidden information, far more granular damage levels, and certain AI quirks and behaviour you can manipulate. It’s about bringing a plan to the field and enacting it based on what you know about your units, the terrain, and the enemy. There’s definitely some of that in ITB, but there are also entire meh squads that can’t deal direct damage, and your most powerful units are always those that can manipulate enemy positioning, which I think highlights the massive difference between the two pretty accurately.

For clarity’s sake I will make it clear I enjoy both games a lot, I just think pitting them
    against each other misses the point of each of them, and ITB isn’t really trying to go after AW in any fashion.
  • I feel like into the breach is a game about prioritising and tiering actions based on pragmatism. You aren’t going to kill everything and you have to use all the resources. - health of your chaps, buildings as a laaaaaast resort to inch over the time limits. It’s quite a change of mind set from other strategy games where wiping out the opponent is crucial.
  • In case it's not clear, I'm only stating preference, not having a big whine. Although I do dislike the tendency for ITB to generate impossible scenarios. Especially with enemies capable of 3+ damage on buildings by island 3 or 4.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So Rabbids is supposed to be good isn’t it? It’s £15 on the eshop at the mo.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really enjoyed it but you should get it with the dlc
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Between that, October expansion and Torna, Nintendo made a hell of a convincing case for dlc this year
  • Outstanding imo, the block puzzles are a bit too frequent but the grid battle system is superb, as is the overall sheen. £15 is a steal.

Edit: Rabbids.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, the aesthetic is next level, you'll forget it's an Ubisoft game
  • Ok so I’m gonna treat myself to one game as something to get lost in during the 6 day period where I’m home alone with no wife, no kids and no work.
    Rabbids, Katamari or Octopath.

Help!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • What’s better for kids (aged 6 and 8 ), Mario Tennis or Smash Bros., or is neither really suitable? They love Kirby and Mario Kart at the moment.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • My 8 yr old likes M Tennis but I've a feeling he's going to love Smash. The tennis is fairly easy to pick up and play - head to ball and hit ball, but it might just be a case of button mashing with Smash.
  • Ok so I’m gonna treat myself to one game as something to get lost in during the 6 day period where I’m home alone with no wife, no kids and no work. Rabbids, Katamari or Octopath. Help!

• Ok so I’m gonna treat myself to one game as something to get lost in during the 6 day period where I’m home alone with no wife, no kids and no work. Rabbids, Katamari, Volgarr the Viking or Octopath. Help!

Buy Volgarr and I'll lend you the cart for Rabbids.
  • I’m not sure I’ll ever understand why people like Katamari’s gameplay. Fucking dire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!