Nintendo Switch
  • I dunno where I stand cos I completely bounced off Hollow Knight and I hope I'm not the only one.

I’m not sure if I’m not very good, or am just coming up against enemies I’m not supposed to be able to beat yet, but when I played it I seemed to cover large distances while still not actually getting anywhere.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pretty sure any bosses could be beat at any point. If you had the skillz
  • Love a good "vainia" but I just felt it could've just held my hand a little more at the start. Time spent exploring dead ends just felt wasted to me and I got very bored very quickly IIRC. Maybe I'll go back some day.
  • True (b0r1s), but it was one of the first games I played where I had to judge the difficulty spikes myself and return to certain spots later on. I tackled one of the trickier bosses too early and wasted a very long time beating him. After that I learned not to bite off more than I could chew. I'm used to games that present bottlenecks that have to be pushed through, and HK opened my eyes a bit. The Souls games do this afaik, but it was new to me.
  • I dunno where I stand cos I completely bounced off Hollow Knight and I hope I'm not the only one. 

You're not.

Started it about four times and just cant seem to make any meaningful progress. there's a complete lack of any kind of feedback as to whether what your doing is worth persuing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • For those who have HONKED, how short is short?  I'm roughly two hours in and I never want it to end.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    For those who have HONKED, how short is short?  I'm roughly two hours in and I never want it to end.
    It’s quite short. I think I saw the credits after about 2 1/2 hours play.
    Spoiler:

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    For those who have HONKED, how short is short?  I'm roughly two hours in and I never want it to end.

Its infinitely long if you just like dropping the flower in the lake.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Around half an hour of my playtime has been spent 
    Spoiler:
  • Just tried the Ori & The Blind Forest demo, in handheld mode. It seems to perform very well, it looks lush on the Switch screen. I’ll be interested to see it on the TV when I get home.

Meanwhile, Link’s Awakening continues to be a lovely wee thing. I’m currently in ‘The Catfish’s Maw’, though, and seem to meet a dead end every few screens. I think I’m making progress. I wonder if, at some point I’ll unlock
    Spoiler:
    because there are various points across the map, including a few in this dungeon, that would seem to require it. We shall see.
  • So I've gotten around my Switch Lite problem via use of mobile hotspot (making sure to switch off automatic updates so as not to murder my data usage)

1. Get on train
    2. Turn hotspot on
    3. Select game
    4. Turn hotspot off

Hardly the best solution, but I suppose it could be worse.

Btw outside of this issue, I think the Lite really is bloody lovely.

x
  • On the subject of Link's Awakening, I'm stuck looking for the key in the Forest.

I suck so bad at games.

x
  • Nearly picked up Link yesterday.. and Ni Nu what's it's face but I figure the later will  drop in price quick and the former wont get completed before The Witcher and I should probably address my pile of shame

including torchlight 2, moonlighter and stardew valley both of which are pretty much unplayed
    The Forum Herald™
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    There's promise of a hefty patch on torchlight 2 fairly imminently Bob. I'd put that at the bottom of the pile for now. Great thing but could still use a fair bit of fettling.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I got suckered into it by Eurogamer.. if they'd said it was a Diablo clone I'd of given it a miss.

will try again with stardew valley then.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    I wonder if, at some point I’ll unlock
    Spoiler:
    because there are various points across the map, including a few in this dungeon, that would seem to require it.

I can see now that this must have looked quite foolish to Zelda fans, given that I have now acquired a thing I always hear people talk about being a thing in Zelda games.

Oh, and O&TBF looks lovely in docked mode, too.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Hollow Knight is a [10] Ori is a [9]
    As usual, Muzzy is correct.

No. HK is 10 but Ori is 8. Maybe.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Hollow Knight is a [10] Ori is a [9]
    As usual, Muzzy is correct.
    No. HK is 10 but Ori is 8. Maybe.
    For me Ori is a 7 and HK is as 10 as it gets
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • As much as I appreciate the design of HK, it's far too spread out to be consistently enjoyable. There's a lot of traipsing about through the same empty spaces a dozen or more times. It's an 8.

As for Ori, I would've been interested a couple of years ago, but now not so sure. Maybe I should try it, but it feels like things have moved on in this genre pretty fast.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I dunno where I stand cos I completely bounced off Hollow Knight

Likewise. I gave it 7 hours, enjoyed the first couple but I found the aesthetic very dull and just can't be arsed going back.
  • The homing missile combat in Ori is serviceable, it's the platforming that elevates it above the pack. I believe the combat is overhauled for the sequel so waiting for that might be a good shout. Original is very good though. You're rarely required to explore, it's more of a 'head to the dot on the map' type - so the appeal is mostly in the well designed layouts and God Tier jumping about.
  • I wasn’t too bothered by hollow knight.
  • Finished goose game. Was pretty damn great tbh.
  • Ori has great platforming mechanics but there’s only a handful of times where there’s any interesting or challenging bits. The homing missile took a lot of fun out of it too. I still rate the game highly but those are the flaws.
    JonB wrote:
    As much as I appreciate the design of HK, it's far too spread out to be consistently enjoyable. There's a lot of traipsing about through the same empty spaces a dozen or more times. It's an 8.
    This is exactly where I am with it. 18 hours in and still loads to do. And it’s all going to involve walking around a lot. It’s just not fun enough getting from place to place.
  • If they'd introduced a warp to any bench in the later stages of the game, it would've made a big difference.
  • I think sayonara wild hearts was pretty cool. There were moments when it approached some of the elevated status feelings I got from tetris effect.
  • HK is such a marmite game I think. I started it and immediately just fell for it. Aesthetically, tonally, emotionally... just a complete joy to play, and loved discovering and seeing how far down I could get before legging it back to safety.

Whereas my friend saw it and thought it looked like crap and took too long to get anywhere. Also why is it so dark? Also where the fuck am I going and why does... oh fuck it dropped me all the way back there when I died?! Fuck this.
  • First paragraph is me. Assumed I'd loathe it but bought it anyway in the hope I'd like it, ended up playing for 37hrs in a couple of weeks.
  • That must’ve put you forty-odd games behind schedule.
  • It put paid to any hopes of hitting 100 for sure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!