Nintendo Switch
  • it really does look like shit
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • If that game came out on the NES 30 years ago it would have blown the doors off.
  • Olija's out today too. Wobbling my own head about making eyes at the PS5, I'm in hog heaven with current gen indies.
  • Hyrule Warriors on its way from Amazon for the kids. They better like it cos they’ve been pestering me for it. First new game for them in many months so it’s ok, I’ll treat them.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Undermine dropping on 11th of feb (pre orders, the 4th).
    Should  be a perfect fit for the switch
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Ooh nice! I bet there's no cross save though. I put hours and hours into it on Xbox.
  • Hilariously they want £25 for Turrican and it’s not a remaster it’s basically the Amiga game
    The Forum Herald™
  • Went on to Nintendo Store site to order SM3DW and saw Monster Hunter Rise was up. That collectors edition looks tasty with a lovely amiibo, but £90 and sold out anyway. Not that I would buy. Don’t think I’ve ever managed to give a MH the time to get into it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sounds like Bowser's Fury is quite taxing on the Switch cos it runs at 720p 60Hz docked and 720p 30Hz only portable, compared to full fat 1080p/720p 60Hz for the main 3D World game.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • We need a New Nintendo Switch XL Plus i. Type thing. 

With better joycons.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I’d buy a pro Switch, too lazy to get my Joycons fixed, but new hardware yes please.
    Things can only get better.
  • Cleaning them out with air and WD40 doesn’t help much anymore. I imagine it’s wear and tear.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yeah tried that too, Ninty will fix them, should send them off as we’re not using the Switch at all at the moment.
  • It’s quite simple to put new analogue sticks in. Easier than swapping the shells at least.

• What's the Hz thing for docked vs portable mode and how does that affect gameplay?  I remember 60hz being full screen/full speed on Dreamcast but I'm not sure what the relevance is since.
  • He means fps I think, for which you can technically also use the term Hz i.e. cycels/iterations per second?

Different to 50Hz (PAL) and 60Hz (NTSC) refresh rates of yore.
  • Ah right, ta.  30fps is quite a hit for handheld.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Sounds like Bowser's Fury is quite taxing on the Switch cos it runs at 720p 60Hz docked and 720p 30Hz only portable, compared to full fat 1080p/720p 60Hz for the main 3D World game.

Presumably cos it’s open world ?

I’d be wary of buying a pro .. it doesn’t need to be any bigger it’s barley portable as it is and if it’s anything like the new 3ds no one will
    Support it anyway
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm against the idea if they lock stuff behind it, but I'm a bit of a broken record on the topic.  The Pro/Bone X did seem to impact on the quality of base releases in the end (Jedi: Fallen Order, Control), so they can go in the bin too, albeit much less forcefully than the New3DS.  I'd rather have redesigned Joycons with some sort of 50% apology discount if you send Nintendo your originals.  

Metroid Prime 4 on Switch Pro only would surely be met with a resounding boo?  Plus it'd make the Lite look like even more of a rip off.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    It’s quite simple to put new analogue sticks in. Easier than swapping the shells at least.

Seems to be, will have a look into it.

Does Nintendo purposely use triangle screw heads to make it harder to dissemble or tri force geekery? I recall loaning out my SNES to a pal and his rabbit chewing through one of the pad wires and the screw heads were the same on that when we were trying to fix it.

• I don't think it matters much if its a Switch Pro or a full blown Switch 2.

What matters is they stick with the brand and run with it like iPhones with full backwards compatibility.

It's more about ecosystems now, what with things moving quickly towards digital purchases and subscriptions.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You're right about it being about ecosystems, but this is Nintendo, they rarely continue a hardware brand for long, I think? Nintendo gonna Nintendo.
  • Well they fucked it with new3DS, so they’ll probably fuck it with SwitchUp or whatever stupid thing they call it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Their branding is odd when you think about it.

You had the Entertainment Systems/Famicoms which were successful. It wouldn't have changed sales much but maybe Famicom 64 would have been better that N64? But in the West would that have made it the Ultra Entertainment System/UES. Mega and Super kinda worked in the late 80s early 90s but you can't go down that route forever. The worldwide branding probably made sense in that respect.

GameCube tried to tie their home consoles with the handhelds. GAMEcube/GAMEboy - the whole slogan back then was being about games cos no one wanted a DVD player.

Wii I can't explain. Lightening in a bottle etc, the less said about the Wii U marketing the better. Had a lot of quality games but I think its fair to say a disaster in terms of branding.

Game Boy and DS were both successful brands although the DS one did get a bit messy, lite, XL, 2DS, new etc.

I think they would be mad to do anything but stick with the Switch now, its popular and unique in the industry. Sony and MS seem happy to let it exist as its a different enough to coexist with their own consoles.

Its how Nintendo do it that matters to most. The incremental approach seems to rub some up the wrong way but it shouldn't really. No one uses the original iPhone anymore but a lot still use 6 or 7s instead of the newest model.

If Nintendo could get to a point like that they're laughing, obviously its a bit trickier with consoles than phones but the traditional 5 year console cycle might not be ideal either.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I remember the Xmas when I was waiting to unwrap a super Nintendo, a girl at school told me, "I hear there's going to be Totally Excellent Nintendo released next year". I don't think she was trolling me but thinking about it now, maybe she was. Strong work for a 10yo if so.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    @mistercrayon After the second try of inserting those tiny cables back into their sockets properly, once I’d swapped out the stick out, I now have a non drifting joycon, thanks for the advice.
  • How much was the replacement stick?

I fixed all my PlayStation analog drifts by opening them up and cleaning them but have been a bit apprehensive about doing it with the Joy-Cons considering Nintendo fix them for free.

Is there noticeable wear and tear to the old stick when you took it out?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It seems to be a bit of a lottery whether Nintendo fix them for free, at least based on what I've seen in here/online.
  • I think I paid about £12 for a repair kit from Amazon and that came with a few replacement sticks and all the tools necessary.

It's a bloody fiddly process though. I managed to Bork my joycon rail somehow so now it won't play when connected to the switch itself. Luckily I have a cheap replacement left joycon which only works when connected
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 3D World is set to offer online co-op.  What are the chances of Nintendo fucking this in some way, specifically by not allowing two players on one console + online guests? (Capcom fudged this with their scrolling beat 'em up collection, which was limited to two.) Is there any way to check this prior to launch?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!