Nintendo Switch
  • So, if I were lucky/stupid enough to have two switches in the house -perhaps imminently - can I play multiplayer MK or Splatoon or Arms or whatever on the separate screens but with only one copy of the game? I seem to think the DS and 3DS allowed this but perhaps money gauging means this isn't possible anymore?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You cannot
  • @Reg anything else to add about Mario + Rabbids?
  • Eh?

I didn't get on with Gungeon. The resource crush to get shortcuts was nonsense, and the way items worked was nowhere near as good as Isaac. Too many guns, not enough interesting synergy between items. Having to plod through the first stage to get anywhere was laborious in a way that Isaac never felt. 

I think Nuclear Throne does the action side of things much better, and Risk of Rain does synergies far better. Gungeon was a halfway house that just didn't work. It's like Flinthook in that it'd be a lot better as a well constructed set of levels with some light weapon and enemy randomisation thrown in for spice. The procgen works against both of those titles.

I think they should have had faith in their combat and movement system, their strong ideas for level design, and their cool bosses, and just made a proper action game. Everything about it that it borrowed from roguelikes it did in a way that made playing the game less fun.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    @Reg anything else to add about Mario + Rabbids?

First world down. It's XCom with some nice wee basic puzzles. The first boss was actually quite tough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've died once already.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Eh?
    I didn't get on with Gungeon. The resource crush to get shortcuts was nonsense, and the way items worked was nowhere near as good as Isaac. Too many guns, not enough interesting synergy between items. Having to plod through the first stage to get anywhere was laborious in a way that Isaac never felt.  I think Nuclear Throne does the action side of things much better, and Risk of Rain does synergies far better. Gungeon was a halfway house that just didn't work. It's like Flinthook in that it'd be a lot better as a well constructed set of levels with some light weapon and enemy randomisation thrown in for spice. The procgen works against both of those titles. I think they should have had faith in their combat and movement system, their strong ideas for level design, and their cool bosses, and just made a proper action game. Everything about it that it borrowed from roguelikes it did in a way that made playing the game less fun.
    Completely disagree, thought the gaming mechanics were tight (roll in particular), the audio and visual design were spot on, loved the range of guns and tons of secrets.  
    Much preferred it over Nuclear Throne (first few levels are very samey every run) and completely didn't go on with chance of rain.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Primed for Rabbids reviews.  Been watching Youtube vids, the graphics are superb - chunky and shiny, they've absolutely nailed it.  Further proof that the lack of power compared to the Bone/PS4 won't often matter with games containing cartoon style Nintendo characters (which will be most of them).  It's almost Ratchet & Clank levels of sheen, seriously impressed with the visuals.  I'll be very upset if it turns out to not be the portable XCOMARIO I never knew I wanted until I wanted it more than anything else. 

Bring on the big scores, please don't let the tactical battling be crap.
  • All the impressions I've read have been very positive.
  • @Charlie I agree on the actual controls and combat being tight, it's just everything surrounding it that annoys.

Oh well, sometimes it's good to disagree.
  • Oh, I bought that Strikers 1945. Don't make em like they used to etc etc. Playing in tate mode with joycons akimbo is a delight.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    All the impressions I've read have been very positive.

Me too.  The transition from straightforward to tricky needs to be well handled though.  There are plenty of alternatives in the genre if it fumbles the tactics.  It might start well, but when you're spinning plates 12hrs in do you feel in the zone or close to zoning out?  Questions, questions.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Further proof that the lack of power compared to the Bone/PS4 won't often matter with games containing cartoon style Nintendo characters (which will be most of them).

Kinda related. The hub world in Splatoon 2 runs like soggy treacle.

Did not expect that.

The rest of the game is butter though.

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • That is surprising, didn't expect Nintendo's first parties to overpush it with something is integral as the hub.  Maybe it'll be patched.
  • I've never noticed it running slow, seems just fine by me. Your squid strolls rather than barrels around though.
  • It's 30fps and you can't swim in ink.

It's can be jarring, given the perpetual smoothness elsewhere.
  • I've been disappointed with the slowdown in Zelda. I mean it's a massive world and it usually happens when there's lots of effects like rain but I still expect better of Nintendo. They need to bring that gold stamp back.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    On the Wii U it stutters worse than Colin Firth at the beginning of the King's Speech.
  • It's 30fps and you can't swim in ink.

It's can be jarring, given the perpetual smoothness elsewhere.

I guess I use the menu too much to really notice

• Rabbids sitting at 85 on the Meta.

Nu-IGN going low with 7.7.  This week, they 'ave been mostly being 'aarsh.
  • Recommended at Eurogamer.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I've read an assortment, I'm definitely in.
  • If it wasn't for War of the Chosen and Total Warhammer 2 i'd be on this, but there's no reason to settle for less than the best
  • Likewise I am really enjoying darkest dungeon on the iPad for mobile gaming but this sounds ace
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Added a bunch of people earlier. Not everyone because it's a lot of people.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    On the Wii U it stutters worse than Colin Firth at the beginning of the King's Speech.

I navigated a maze in Antvision. DS knows.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Luigi does an irl
    Spoiler:
    in rabbids

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!