Nintendo Switch
  • The Daddy wrote:
    True but it makes things easier just to have alt accounts.

I found having alt accounts frustrating because of what then happens to the news feed, which I use quite a lot, but to each his own.
  • Hardware numbers in from Japan. 260k sold in a week, closest is PS4 with 50k. Hot damn.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/12/nintendo_switch_continues_to_dominate_in_japan
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Got Golf Story, looking forward to getting stuck in.

What's the controls for Mario to do the hat tricks that you'd normally waggle for? As when playing handheld can't waggle!

You can do all the moves without waggle apart from fast shimmy up pipes but you can go a bit faster by just holding the button.

Rotate the left stick and throw your hat for the 360 sweep. It works but is fiddly and takes time to do.
  • Steamworld Dig 2 got boughted and boy it is good. Any other recs from outside the box, folks?

Stardew? Tetris is banging as is Shovel and Gorogoa and Picross and Golf Story.
  • It's a weird one for sure. What do Sony and Microsoft do it at this point? Admit that putting more power under the hud for greater graphix every gen isn't winning them more market share? Try to ape the Nintendo approach and go for novelty control and display schemes? They must be tearing their hair out!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • They could start by making some good games.
  • Aye, Stardew is on the list but I'm fearful of starting whilst having so many other things to get on with. Much like Shovel Knight too, it's chapter in that book Blood Sweat & Pixels made me want it. Don't want to ruin it.
    Shovel though, it's 8-bit metroidvania right? Hmmm.

Gorogoa is a defo, me thinks.
  • Shovel is mega man, not metroid
    Hollow is metroid, not mega man
  • Can't wait for Hollow. Your right about Stardew too. I've got balls deep in it but there's so much else to take my limited time...
  • Shovel is Mega Man in Monsterland with a Scrooge McDuck bounce.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    It's a weird one for sure. What do Sony and Microsoft do it at this point? Admit that putting more power under the hud for greater graphix every gen isn't winning them more market share? Try to ape the Nintendo approach and go for novelty control and display schemes? They must be tearing their hair out!

Sony are doing fine. Having a PS4 and switch is covering me fine, tbh. Not really missing out on much except some PC stuff.
  • Yeah, I definitely don't see Sony losing too much sleep over it in particular.  It's outselling a 4-5yr old console week by week, but the majority of those are presumably being bought by people who already own a PS4, as that also sold like hotcakes.
  • I think the biggest threat is to Microsoft. There's an expected 17m Switches being sold in year 1 and around 30m Xbox Ones after 4 years. At that rate, the Switch will be on its way to catching up in year 2 and that's before something like Pokemon makes it go even crazier.
  • If only they could announce a further level of backwards compatibility.
  • I can't help but feel Microsoft are now feeling the effects of having their in house studios pissing about with Kinect and Cloud.

Sea of Thieves is going to be the first proper game Rare have released since Banjo Nuts and Bolts in 2008. A decade of a developer fucking around with unpopular tech.

Crackdown 3 is dragging as well and it seems highly likely pissing about with Cloud gubbins is the cause.

They ended up shutting down Lionhead after having them do a crap Kinect Fable and then run riot on another Fable game.
  • But, if iirc from the pre-launch hype, I thought the One simply does not work without Kinect and the infinite power of the cloud...
  • Andy wrote:
    But, if iirc from the pre-launch hype, I thought the One simply does not work without Kinect and the infinite power of the cloud...

I'm seeing the meme here :)
  • MS caused all their own problems with the whole Kinect and poor E3 with the second hand game confusion.

They went from what was essentially a 50/50 split with the 360/PS3 to close to a 2.5:1 ratio and growing in favour of Sony.

To be fair, Nintendo did even worse with the Wii U, but they've bounced back like we all know.

It will be interesting to see MS next move. I still think they should have cut the life of the One short like they did the OG and made the X an all new console. As things stand the PS4 is still no.1, including the Switch.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Golf Story is just so utterly charming. Love it.

What are the case recommendations chaps? Got some in-law presents to come but if I don't get a case I want to pick one up.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MS caused all their own problems with the whole Kinect and poor E3 with the second hand game confusion.

They went from what was essentially a 50/50 split with the 360/PS3 to close to a 2.5:1 ratio and growing in favour of Sony.

To be fair, Nintendo did even worse with the Wii U, but they've bounced back like we all know.

It will be interesting to see MS next move. I still think they should have cut the life of the One short like they did the OG and made the X an all new console. As things stand the PS4 is still no.1, including the Switch.

Erm, MS have just made their next move.
  • What the X?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I just feel that in the long term the X isn't the answer. The PS brand is to big and it seems to be reverting to PS2 glory days.

MS are still very big a relevant in the US/UK at least.

I'm just not sure how much they care anymore, maybe they're happy enough at the current level. They're making money and still get 3rd party support at the end of the day.

They probably wish they were Steam more than PS these days anyway.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The X will saturate it's niche quite quickly. Eventually it, or at least a 4k Xbox One of some variety will become the standard Xbox, but then it is just bastardizing sales of the S rather than creating new market share.
  • The X is impressive but as a jaded 40y old shinies don't do it for me, and the games are the usual teenage boy crap I've played a million times. Oh another FPS and a FIFA.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    What the X?

If that’s what Syph means by next move then it’s a bad one. MS’s next move should be a slew of exclusive game announcements at E3 ‘18 that aren’t all just driving and shooting. And jumping the gun and going in early with a next gen console now would have also been a bad idea in my opinion. Everything barring exclusives would be held back on the system because games would be developed for the most popular system on the market first and foremost. MS have made some great strides forwards since the absolute shambles of the One reveal, but they’re still fucking up as often as getting right (studio closures, cancelled games vs. backwards compatibility). They’ve now got the hardware right, and Kinect is thankfully becoming a distant memory, they just need the killer exclusives now.
    Get schwifty.
  • Makes you wonder why you can play Minecraft on PS and Nintendo really.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Raiziel wrote:
    What the X?

If that’s what Syph means by next move then it’s a bad one. MS’s next move should be a slew of exclusive game announcements at E3 ‘18 that aren’t all just driving and shooting. And jumping the gun and going in early with a next gen console now would have also been a bad idea in my opinion. Everything barring exclusives would be held back on the system because games would be developed for the most popular system on the market first and foremost. MS have made some great strides forwards since the absolute shambles of the One reveal, but they’re still fucking up as often as getting right (studio closures, cancelled games vs. backwards compatibility). They’ve now got the hardware right, and Kinect is thankfully becoming a distant memory, they just need the killer exclusives now.

That was what I meant. They have to be locked into the X for at least 2 years. It’s a cutting edge machine at (high end) mass market prices. What else can they do? They can't release a more powerful console anytime soon. FWIW - I also think it was a bad move, but it was nothing compared to having xbox games work on the PC.
  • Xbox games work on a PC?  In disc format?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A couple.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!