Nintendo Switch
  • Enter The Gungeon is now 50% off, and has its free NG+ish expansion out today too. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Like the look of the gunplay. Do not like the look of the roguelike elements/difficulty meaning I'll probably get frustrated and never progress.

Is it a fair game?

It’s excellent. Well worth buying.
    And it’s very fair.

Anyone here got the DLC? The developers said it’s live now but bugger me if I can find it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Counter point - the opening hours are boring and you'll have to do them over and over again to progress. I simply didn't find it satisfying restarting a character for a new run, and the resource crush was acknowledged and ignored by the devs. Unlike Isaac or Dead Cells where every run has the opportunity to be a fresh experience within minutes, Gungeon just felt like a game that would have benefited from a structured set of levels and a smaller and more varied item pool. These are obviously subjective things, but despite its tight mechanics I just wouldn't pick Gungeon over Necrodancer, Isaac, Dead Cells, Teleglitch, Slay the Spire, Spelunky, GalakZ and a wealth of other roguelikes. It just always felt off for me, and that was the experience mostly everyone I played it with came back to. If you can get into the dodge-rolling and you don't mind the monotony of the starter guns, you'll be golden. I basically always felt it was a worse version of Nuclear Throne, which was harder but far more immediate in its rewards.
  • ^^This. Couldn’t get on with it myself.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Hmmm. For a fiver I decided to go for it. Took Tempy on board but I read in the notes that they've done some more lenient weapon drops etc etc so took it on good faith. Should get a good blast later.
  • It's not a bad game by any means, I just think it misses the sweet spot of a good rogue. More weapon drops are good, but a good rogue takes that idea and links it together with synergies, options to re-roll and mess with and gamble with your build on the fly. Gungeon is just like "here's 100 cool guns that barely interact with each other". It's like OG flash Isaac where non of the passives actually worked with things like Brimstone and Technology beyond increasing damage etc. If you don't need that stuff then it won't matter. For me it's why roguelikes are good, and it's why things like Slay the Spire and Dead Cells are so well regarded.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    New additions to Sonic 1 on Switch include the Drop Dash move from Sonic Mania (optional) and a recreation of the arcade version of the game.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Enter The Gungeon is now 50% off, and has its free NG+ish expansion out today too. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Like the look of the gunplay. Do not like the look of the roguelike elements/difficulty meaning I'll probably get frustrated and never progress. Is it a fair game?
    It’s excellent. Well worth buying. And it’s very fair. Anyone here got the DLC? The developers said it’s live now but bugger me if I can find it

I got the option to download automatically when starting the game.
  • It’s fair criticism on enter the gungeon but I got a lot of hours out of it and the gameplay is excellent
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Rogue likes are even more subjective than normal games I think. 

Downwell I own on iPad and vita and it’s so shit it would’ve disgraced a 16k spectrum.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The USB cable that came with my Pro controller... I plugged that into iPhone plug and into Switch... it showed as charging but battery still was going down?!

Took it out. Unplugged main Switch plug from dock and used that... battery goes up.

Strange but I think I’ll just take my dock plug with me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Depends on how much juice the charger pumps out; the Switch one is particularly powerful. Dunno what more recent ones are like, but all the iPhone chargers I've had have been week as piss.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I use my MacBook Pro or iPad charger fine and at the GF’s she has one of those third party three in one USB chargers and it works too.
  • I think the little flat iphone chargers (the ones seemingly specially designed to go into a plug socket then be awkward as fuck to get back out) pump out less juice than the chunkier ipad chargers...and the switch likes the extra juice!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yeah, iPad chargers have always been stronger than iPhone ones.
  • MK8 can be had for about £31 via Japanese EShop if anyone hasn’t got it yet.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • ETG is good so far but tough. Took me three tries to finish the first floor.
  • What is Etg?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Enter The Gungeon, following on from chat from this very page.
  • I’ve only got to the fourth floor so far Gav. I’m rubbish at it but it’s great fun!

PEW PEW PEW
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Ah yes. Makes sense now.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I got to the second floor boss on my first go and deliberately went gung-ho because I'd been playing it for longer than planned.  Maybe this means I'll be good at it??  Minor annoyance so far is having to re-press the fire button to reload, I've been holding to fire for the most part.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Anyone else gone for Sky Skipper? It is, errrr, not as good as Donkey Kong.
  • Nope, but I did play Slime-San for the first time just now.  Recommended to anyone who wants more Celeste type challenge room stuff.  Can't get enough myself, £5 is a great price as there seems to be a lot of content.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Finally finished the Splatoon 2 main campaign so I can justify getting the Octo expansion now, whoop!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My son

Pleasure paradise awaits
  • Captain Toad
    Got to..
    Spoiler:
    And thought you absolute BASTARDS.

But no, we cool now. Nice game.
  • I read somewhere that it was originally planned as a downloadable episodic thing, which would explain the spoiler.
  • Also, the latest Edge refers to the Octo expansion as Nintendo's best DLC to date.  Reads like a [9].
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    We had our end of term party last night and one of the guys bought his Switch with some witchcraftery projector that it plugs into. It was crowd funded apparently.

He used one of the dinner tables and we all sat in the middle of the school field playing MK and 12 Switch until the battery ran low.

Awesome stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also, the latest Edge refers to the Octo expansion as Nintendo's best DLC to date.  Reads like a [9].

Maybe they just liked the 8 theme

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!