Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    @Diluted Dante Is this finished yet mate?
  • Olimite wrote:
    @Diluted Dante Is this finished yet mate?

Yes, apologies for taking so long with this, I think you're right, we need to have timescales for this really.

I only listened to Wand for the first time today, as it was the only non Spotify one I had just got it stuck on the end. Wand appear to be fronted by a bloke called Cory, and therefore don't count, so they've had the chop. I've re-upped the tracks to Dropbox with album art, and the Spotify link is here.
  • Handing over to @olimite for his play list now.

Cheers to everyone for the last play list. Aside from Rachel Unthank, who's voice I can't stand it's a cracker. I even grew to not hate the Goldie track.

The Broadcast one still irritates me because it's a tune ruined by someone leaving their mobile on the mixing desk.

Best song for me is Shampoo. Don't know how I'd never heard it before but it's an instant classic for me. I'll probably do a song by song at some point.
  • Overall I'd say this was my least favourite of the playlists so far, but there's still plenty of stuff I liked on there (and as a result a couple of albums I plan to buy).
  • Cheers to everyone for the last play list. Aside from Rachel Unthank, who's voice I can't stand it's a cracker.

Fuck you

• Sorry Dan, I really tried with it but it's just dreary. At least I didn't go full Kow with it.

And anyway, I'm part paying you to go to London so shush.

What's your favourites Moot?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Simon/Simone/Whitney combo was my favourite section.  Will be checking out Whitney asap, sounded superb even through shit cans.  The Rachel Unthank track was good, only have one Unthanks album (the one with The Testimony of Pateince Kershaw on it), will revisit that tomorrow.  Also loved the Susanne Vega track.  Back in tomorrow with the AKG's and headphone amp.

Unthanks was one of them, ha.  Digging the X-Ray Spex track now too.  If I had to pick an overall favourite it'd be Marva Whitney.

Edit: been reading about Wrecking Ball after enjoying the Harris track, so will probably grab that too as I don't own any of her solo stuff post 1979.
  • I've a feeling I'll be alone in disliking that, everyone seemed to be liking it when he suggested it.

X Ray Spex is awesome, possibly my second favourite. Suzanne Vega and Salad are up there too.

I'm also digging the Simon/Simone/Whitney combo, even if they aren't necessarily my favourites on their own. I definately dig that section.

I suspect that I'll be the one who gets the most out of this particular playlist, as I generally prefer female vocals.
  • You're not alone, it didn't go down well on the speakers work.
  • The Broadcast one still irritates me because it's a tune ruined by someone leaving their mobile on the mixing desk.
    That's the second one, right? That background noise is barely tolerable, but it would be a decent song otherwise.

I actually haven't listened to this list much though, because of the game music list. I tend to listen while studying and instrumental music is better for that (doesn't interfere with my concentration). I will get back to it - there was some good stuff on there. The Nina Simone track is probably the one that stands out most.
  • Sorry Dan, I really tried with it but it's just dreary. At least I didn't go full Kow with it.

And anyway, I'm part paying you to go to London so shush.

What's your favourites Moot?

Fuck you! (Thank you)

You say dreary, I say haunting.

• Listened to it a while ago and can't remember everything, but my thoughts: I really like the Shampoo song. Being a teenage schoolboy I was too embarrassed to ever go and buy their records at the time, despite secretly liking them.

I liked Goldie, Warpaint, Music Go Music and Tom Tom Club. Mazzy Star is alright too. Liked Gwen Guthrie a lot. Speedy Whatevertheywerecalled wasn't that great, I'm guessing the 90's revival is go amongst the yoof judging from the sound of this. A mediocre Great Escape-era Blur b-side, but female fronted by a woman doing a vague Malkmus impersonation. I do like Blur but that's my least favourite period.

Knew and already liked X-Ray Spex, Nina Simone, Patti Smith etc.

I like Luka, but this Suzanne Vega song didn't do much for me, it was a bit too 'coffee shop background music', also like some later REM songs it just seemed like she was trying to fit far too many words into every verse, chorus and every other place of the song. I half expected her to talk right over the guitar solo.

Rachel Unthanks - thanks but no unthanks. Cat Power does this stuff miles better.

Emmylou Harris - fuck no. Awful stuff. Sorry. Ditto Carly Simon. Can't remember the final song, but I didn't like that either.

Only like/know Peter Greenwood's version of Fleetwood Mac, but this song wasn't too bad, in that coked-up 70's L.A. way.

I chose Broadcast. I like it anyway, I could've picked a more accessible song of theirs (I thought it was actually) but it just happened to be the one that I was listening to at the time. You can tell I put a lot of thought into my choices.

I've no problem with 'the noise', it makes it more interesting to me. But then I like noise.

I will get around to listening again. These were just my first impressions.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    but this Suzanne Vega song didn't do much for me, it was a bit too 'coffee shop background music'

Skerret had to slip it in after refusing to choose Grundy for the album thread.
  • JonB wrote:
    The Broadcast one still irritates me because it's a tune ruined by someone leaving their mobile on the mixing desk.
    That's the second one, right? That background noise is barely tolerable, but it would be a decent song otherwise.

Aye, it's a great song hidden behind static. I actually tried to move my phone away from the speaker first time I played it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    LarryDavid wrote:
    but this Suzanne Vega song didn't do much for me, it was a bit too 'coffee shop background music'
    Skerret had to slip it in after refusing to choose Grundy for the album thread.
    Suzanne and I are none of your business frankly.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops anyway.
  • Been through this a couple of more times. Found it quite enjoyable once I skipped a few and put it on shuffle. But there's only one song I really like and maybe half a dozen I quite like. The rest are OK (except those few I can't stand), but it's a bit samey this time and they're not things I really want to listen to. I also find anything over about 6 minutes quickly gets tiresome on these lists unless it's something I love, and it gets skipped on repeat plays.

Probably won't go back to it a lot like I did the The End list then, but I always like seeing how these things come together, and hearing new stuff.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'm still mulling over my theme. Will report back shortly.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That Difficult Second Playlist (aka How To Avoid The Sophomore Slump)
    Deadline: 31st August 2015

Many acts heave tried, many have fell. Trying to top that delectable debut can make or break even the most hardened of egos. Your aim here is to select a track from a said 'difficult second album' to either illustrate how artists have risen above the mediocrity to produce a track of brilliance or, should you feel particularly vindictive, select something that consigned an act to the pile of shame!

Best of luck - the folder on Dropbox is ready for your submissions.

Dante, please add this to the OP please.
  • Hmmmmmmm. I'll need to think about this.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Good theme. My instinct immediately screamed Love Spreads from Second Coming, but it bears more investigation.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Great idea, I'll get a thinkin'.
  • Would it be worth a split playlists of bombs and hits?

It seems weird to have a playlist of purposely shite and good.
  • Aye, fuck putting shite in a playlist. That's just madness.
  • It depends on how you do it. For example, Ash's second album is much maligned, but there are several tracks on there that are absolute belts.

So whilst popular opinion is that the whole album is crap, there are tracks I'd absolutely recommend.
  • This is a whole new layer of choice.

Good songs from good second albums
    Crap songs from crap second albums
    Good songs from crap second albums.
  • Are you allowed good songs from good second albums?
  • *shrugs*
  • I had promised myself I would do this one, having missed the last.  However there are lots of good second albums, so I'm going to think on it, rather than just going for an obvious one...
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It's all a matter of opinion isn't it? If I create a second playlist of potential stinkers, nobody would listen to it anyway.

I guess it's up to you fine folk to select a cracking choice of second-album stunners.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!