19th September, The Thread.
  • Private hire at brewery sounds ace but you've already opened yourself up for the obvious.
  • This isn't easy to articulate but I'll try my best. I was tredipatious to say the least when Nick told me that he'd made this thread, I'm much too proud to have ever suggested something like this myself. The generosity of this community never fails to astound me and we might argue from time to time but what family doesn't? Recently someone commented about how we were all a bunch of strangers, that couldn't be further from the truth for me, I see you all as friends, even elf.

I'd count Nick among my very closest friends and he's helped me get through so much by always being there, I've wanted to meet him for years and I can't thank you all enough for making this a reality.
  • Awwww, he said even me! Wait... why you...!

I'm gonna spoil every bit of Bloodborne for you now. 

Hope you can make it though. Hope I can make it too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What's this I've completely missed this thread, not on the forum that much atm. Djr coming to London and petey rented a bunch of hookers in a brewery this is gonna be awesome.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I've still to chip in for this, which I will do when I get a spare minute. Probably tomorrow.
  • Nice one man. Update and to do list coming from me later today.
  • Actually for now, please can all involved copy paste this so I can get an idea of numbers:

Coming to Nick's for about 12pm -1.30pm:

On to private venue/street crawl:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

• Coming to Nick's for about 12pm -1.30pm:

• I won't know for like a month. Plz wait for me, Argentina.
  • I'm still seeing money come in, thank you so GOD DAM much you all of you, you know who you are. My next steps are to list what everything is going to cost, which is hard right now because finding the right kind of venue to hire hasn't gone so well, so far, anyway. There are a lot of cool things to chase down today which I will. In any case it will be a transparent process.

@Temps, I'd really like you to be there of course, so if the number continues to go up maybe the community funds can help. I'm really weary of over-promising already over here already though, especially as venue hire could wipe everything out. Bear with me.

@TheDJR First order of business is to get your train ticket. Reading this...

http://trainsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3931/~/how-do-i-buy-a-ticket-using-my-card-but-for-someone-else-to-travel?

...either I'd have to buy it cash or card and send it to you in the post (risky), or you would need to have my card handy on the day you print it (impossible). So what I think we need to do is for me to transfer the cash for it to your bank account then you buy it, how does that sound? Would be awesome if you could post confirmation in here or something, so people see where they dollars be going :)

Or am I overcomplicating this? Someone tell me h0w 2 train-tikkit.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

• Nick, venue hire first. I'll make my own way down.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think the money to djr is the easiest.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @TheDJR First order of business is to get your train ticket. Reading this...

http://trainsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3931/~/how-do-i-buy-a-ticket-using-my-card-but-for-someone-else-to-travel?

...either I'd have to buy it cash or card and send it to you in the post (risky), or you would need to have my card handy on the day you print it (impossible). So what I think we need to do is for me to transfer the cash for it to your bank account then you buy it, how does that sound? Would be awesome if you could post confirmation in here or something, so people see where they dollars be going :)

Or am I overcomplicating this? Someone tell me h0w 2 train-tikkit.

I don't think the post would be that risky. You buy the tickets but enter DJR's address for delivery and they are sent direct to him from Virgin. Worst case scenario, the tickets don't arrive so you contact them and they are re-issued. That's equally possible if he books them himself.

Book the tickets this week and they should arrive within a few days so there's plenty of time to chase up if they do go missing.

• Good thinking Cos. Virgin best for Newcastle to London, anyone know?
  • How much would you need to get Tempy down? I'll throw in some pennies on pay day as you lot were all so good to me when I was about.

You can store my bbq sauce until I show up in September ;)
  • You're overthinking this Nick. All you need to do is go to thetrainline.com and set up an account for yourself. You then book the tickets for the train journey you want to make, and when you go to pay for them you will be given the option to have them posted out to any address you specify. That way you buy the tickets at the best price and then they are posted out to TheDJR.

simples

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Luvly, thanks G. I'll try to get to that this afternoon.
  • Spoke to my preferred brewey, then sent this email, waiting on a response now:

"Hi Sarah,

Hope you're very well. I sent over a quick note on this a couple of days ago  - I know you're a very busy lady so no worries on getting back to me yet.

I just got off the phone with Jimmy, inquiring about bringing in a private party of about 10-15 people (tbc), for a few hours on Saturday 19th September.

Jimmy explained that you're open to the public during the peak hours of Saturday, of course, but there may be potential to do something in the evening from about 5pm.

I haven't contacted any other breweries to see if we can do something like this yet, as I had such a good time at the Dine St. event, the staff and beer are great and totally in line with what I'm trying to provide for some friends.

As a bit of background, I'm running a fundraiser for a community of friends, some of who have met and some who have been friends for a long time online only, so I put together this campaign and it's going really well: http://www.gofundme.com/2j6xqez8c

As it has gone over target I want to use the extra money (and make up the rest as necessary) to get a private venue together for part of the day.

I know you guys have only recently opened the place up to this type of thing recently, so I have no expectations and will remain an evangelical fan of yours either way, but if you guys can do something on this it would obviously be amazing and I can stop looking elsewhere!

Many thanks,

Nick"

exxxciteeee
  • Oh, and note that we'd likely only get something like this from 5pm, so the times of stuff may move around. Reception at mine should be fine, I'm sure we can fill a few hours before 5.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Worst case scenario, I'm happy putting tempy up in my hotel room. It's not the worst thing we've ever done together
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Oh, and note that we'd likely only get something like this from 5pm, so the times of stuff may move around. Reception at mine should be fine, I'm sure we can fill a few hours before 5.

This is all sounding rather great mate. Reception at yours or nearby in a good pub, with the brewery later in the afternoon sounds perfect. What are your current ideas for food?

A massive thanks for arranging all of this. I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure they would say the same, but I really appreciate all your time and effort putting this together.
  • You can speak for everyone. You just need to believe in yourself.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm with goober. This is a lot of work. As a man who used to half arse his way through planning stocks (infamous karaoke incident) I recognise you're really going for it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You'll absolutely regret inviting us all over. There are some really smelly forumites.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Charming.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It had been a long day you know.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    @fullspectrum, quick question nick, where is the best/closest place to pick up some decent beers near Waterloo?
  • Oh, and note that we'd likely only get something like this from 5pm, so the times of stuff may move around. Reception at mine should be fine, I'm sure we can fill a few hours before 5.
    This is all sounding rather great mate. Reception at yours or nearby in a good pub, with the brewery later in the afternoon sounds perfect. What are your current ideas for food? A massive thanks for arranging all of this. I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure they would say the same, but I really appreciate all your time and effort putting this together.

Thanks man. From the bottom of my heart, this is a pleasure not a chore. So far, I'll wait to see how pissed Bollokov gets. Jokes : )

I've missed doing something community based ever since I was unable to continue running my streetfighter tournament. I wasn't looking for something to replace it, but this is giving me the same kind of awesome feeling. to those that have sent me PMs, I love you guys and it's appreciated more than you can know.

At the beginning of this process, it filled me with the most nameless of dreads that I was becoming some kind of charity mugger, without even having told one of my best mates that it was in his name. The scariest part was losing him as a mate because I'd sort of staked his reputation on a random piss up, but you know what, this is going to be the best damn 'stock ever.

Small train ticket update: Only 30 quid has actually hit my empty bank account so far, so I'm just waiting for a bit more to clear so I don't go overdrawn to get the ticket. Hoping mid week but it says latest 17th Aug for pending payments to clear. I have all the details needed ready to go now, thanks to G, though, so it'll be really quick to get them sent to Dan.

Edit: @Goobs - go East on the Jubilee line to Borough Market (tube stop London Bridge), either to the global representation of beer that Utobeer offers or the Oddbins there which carries excellent London beers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!