Windows 10 and also 11
  • Yeah this latest batch of updates has really shat the bed. For some reason it told me that my version wouldn't be supported much longer. Not sure why it's telling me that because it seems to update itself once every couple of weeks. At least that's what I assume it's doing when I leave it idle for an hour or so, come back into the room and it's rebooted itself. 

Then these latest ones just don't want to install. It's had three goes at it so far and it's again telling me I need to restart to complete the install process. Shambolic.
  • Mine has updated mostly fine, but there's an Intel update that won't load recently because of something or other and I'm sure it's to do with Windows update.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Had to update some drivers after this, nothing too bad, but it's giving me end of life Vista flashbacks.
  • I think Win 10 allows you to delay updates for a few weeks now, not sure how well that works but might be worth a try.

Apparently they fired their testing department, now the users are basically beta testers.
  • Win 7 master race reporting in.

Will continue to be on the master race version for some time.
  • I cannot remember the last time I had an issue with my Windows machine. Whether it was my pc or my surface pro.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • While we're in here though, MS announced a bunch of new devices including a folding phone:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/2/20895128/microsoft-surface-duo-phone-foldable-screen-features-specs-price-release-date
  • I've been burnt by Microsoft phones before...

Looks like I'll need more burn gel so.

Wondering will that phone just be android or will it have some other, Windows stuff baked in as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • MS abandon pretty much every new venture/idea/hardware apart from Windows and the xbox brand.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    MS abandon pretty much every new venture/idea/hardware apart from Windows and the xbox brand.

Yeah, they are a bit quick to ditch alright (even the x-box got shafted when the 360 came out) The surface brand though is strong and if its android based than there isn't the same risk.

It looks a wee-bit bulky though and I'm not sold on the dual screen for tablets or phones yet (haven't used one) What I would like is an android phone with a better windows overlay (I have the current one on my phone and its really just cosmetic and doesn't provide any synergy that a normal android set-up would have) And I really like the build style of the surface brand. I have a Go at the moment and its really nicely put together, feels decent. 

I'm a shill for MS stuff though. I've never got with the apple brand even when I had a mac or an iPhone. I'm eyeing up the Surface laptop 3 as a potential purchase even though my main laptop is more than capable. I'm still surprised MS haven't co-branded surface with xbox in some way. The new surfaces (pro 7 and laptop 3) look to have xbox one level graphics capability so maybe we will see it more than.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bone2 integration will no doubt be pimped. Streaming and cheevos and cross play and dual screen and shit.
  • Been burnt twice by windows phones in the past by MS restarting and then ditching their “we’re for real this time, promise” phone OSes. Put me off them for a long time.

But I have a surface in the house (which is an amazing bit of kit) and having android on the phone makes it less likely to get dumped, again.
  • Yeah having android and not Windows os on the phone itself is the thing. But would take a lot for me to switch off from iOS now.

Windows Phone was fucking awesome though. If it had app support it would've been baller.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fucking computer just getting as far as the very first blue Windows icon and hanging. Repeatedly. Nooooo how do I fix it??
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Buy a mac
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Fastest way would be recovery mode with boot media (usb stick or dvd)? Or booting in safe mode.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Will recovery mode nuke my disk content??
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No, it just won;t load anything other than basic windows, so if there's a third party programme casuing the issue it won;t load so will be eliminated

edit: If it;'s still buggered after that then you may need to do a repair/reinstall which might play buggers with your disk content, if this is the case do yo uhave a spare external harddrive, as I'd recommend making an ubuntu livedisk and accessing the computer through that to move critical files around for safekeeping

edit2: if it works like that then go to startup menu (win key type msconfig, switch ioff all programmes, try again, turning them on one by one until yo see which has nuked it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm couldn't get the basic repair or restore to work. Sigh.
  • Safe mode and disabling/uninstalling stuff might be a good bet. Otherwise if you do have to reinstall the OS then you can try sticking a Linux on a USB stick and booting into that, that will allow you to access the file system and backup stuff easily, or maybe tweak some stuff if you know what to look for.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    What happens, how far does it get??

If yo hold the shift key down you boot do you get any options??

edit: the repair and restore options mentioned above sound like they may risk data loss

edit2: try pressing F4 (safe mode) or F5 (safe mode with internet) while it's booting up, just keep tapping one of them
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Fucking computer just getting as far as the very first blue Windows icon and hanging. Repeatedly. Nooooo how do I fix it??

Probably Windows filesystem borkery but just to be sure try checking your BIOS settings or reset it default, in case there's some odd system instability that's come about.
  • It's probably windows update that borked your boot up. Try to get into safe mode and see if you can uninstall the update.
    If all that fails try a w10 usb stick and see if that can repair your w10 boot up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah even safe mode didn't seem to boot, but I'll try F,4/5 as a way to trigger it. Yeah can get into all the repair menus they just say "there was an error" and basically do nothing...
  • This is why I hate w10 nowadays. The borked update cycle and the incessant spying. Migrating the home pc to Linux is becoming a seriously attractive proposal every year, especially with that solid steam support.
  • my work PC borked recently after the latest windows update. got stuck in a loop of BSOD saying the boot drive was unavailable (words to that effect, can't remember exactly).

anyway, none of my clever attempts to fix things made any difference, until eventually in the advanced repair thing i went through the 'uninstall latest feature updates'. expected it to be a bit of a clusterfuck but a couple of minutes later and all was well and back to normal. that was without any system recovery points either.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unusual latest feature update failed for me :-(
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    System Recovery Points

Is this like Microsoft Reward Points meaning you can only recover the system if you've earned enough points?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    New PC. After many, many years.  Well - it's actually a Dell Workstation refurb - big beast of a bast - is huge!!!   :)    Cost a grand but the Dell site has a 50% deal for Precision workstations so I took it. It's a bit of pot luck re what you get so I'll add an SSD and it only has a network card in it so I will need to get a wireless card. Have temp-moved the wireless card from my old PC to get me going. Have to get a Displayport adaptor for my HDMI monitor too. That's arriving today.

Getting back into dev and I'm starting with Visual Studio before I look at other stuff. That's what my experience is closest too. The workstation is way over specced for its recommended requirements.

If you have anything of value. Photos. Offline backup. Cloud is great and all but I still burn all my photos on DVD - twice. Ransomware just isn't worth the risk.

New PC is Windows 10 of course and there's no point fighting it - just suffer auto updates.

My old PC is running Windows 10 OK but I'm going to see if I can get my old one to go to an OS that will run my old MAME build with a compatible complete ROM set I bought off some guy on eBay donkeys years ago.

It's a really old version that will run in DOS - is there a way to just have DOS on a PC? That means I can use ArcadeOS which is a great front end for it. Think I used it in W98 - which the last of the DOS based OSes.

XP was a great old OS but Windows 7 was so good because it was built from scratch and they had hired the guy who built VMS which is a bullet proof OS from the mainframe days that is still running mission critical stuff all over the world.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Might just buy a new computer

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!