ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I still think points for qualifying (same as for race finish), but a flipped grid, would work well. So let's say you get 12 points for qualifying first, but then you start from the back of the grid. Whoever finishes the race first also gets 12 points.

Always loved this as a concept
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think it would really sort out the best drivers from the best cars. The best car would probably get the maximum qualifying points, but the best drivers (assuming their car is at least competitive) would do better in the race. You'd need to look at the points situation in qualifying obviously as it could incentivise coming last.
  • You'd prob need the points to go all the way to last in qualy if you reverse the grid...or maybe just the top 10 get reversed and put to back, with 11th starting first and 20th in 10th
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Actually if you reverse grid it should maybe be done on championship standing? Could still do qualy style sprint event for some points too but grid order be decided before hand, so no advantage to sand bag in qualy for the race
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Fuck it we all know what we want

Qualifying is reversed no points. Everyone wants to start at the back as there are no points for final position, you only score points for overtaking people on the track. However you can still lose points for positions lost in the pits
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Fuck it we all know what we want ....

For the septics to stop fucking around with it? Put back on free view. Job done.
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Fuck it we all know what we want

Qualifying is reversed no points. Everyone wants to start at the back as there are no points for final position, you only score points for overtaking people on the track. However you can still lose points for positions lost in the pits

Theoretically, you could have a pair of ferraris post the 2 slowest lap times in qualifying, then start at the front of the grid. They could then just take it in turns overtaking each other on the straight to build up points.
  • Dirty cheating Ities probably would too.
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Fuck it we all know what we want Qualifying is reversed no points. Everyone wants to start at the back as there are no points for final position, you only score points for overtaking people on the track. However you can still lose points for positions lost in the pits
    Theoretically, you could have a pair of ferraris post the 2 slowest lap times in qualifying, then start at the front of the grid. They could then just take it in turns overtaking each other on the straight to build up points.

Even if they did that and drove two abreast so no-one could overtake they'd still only gain one point (and the other driver -1) if they didn't overtake anyone else. I haven't thought this through properly, just seemed to make sense. Whatever you incentivise the teams will game it and make the gains in that area, so if you want to see more overtaking then incentivise overtaking. Their budgets and skills will make sure that they make the tweaks needed to see more overtaking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Fuck it we all know what we want Qualifying is reversed no points. Everyone wants to start at the back as there are no points for final position, you only score points for overtaking people on the track. However you can still lose points for positions lost in the pits

Even if they did that and drove two abreast so no-one could overtake they'd still only gain one point (and the other driver -1) if they didn't overtake anyone else. I haven't thought this through properly, just seemed to make sense. Whatever you incentivise the teams will game it and make the gains in that area, so if you want to see more overtaking then incentivise overtaking. Their budgets and skills will make sure that they make the tweaks needed to see more overtaking

If that's the way that scoring system works, how would the car that starts in first (qualifying last) get any points at all? There would be no point in even starting the GP for them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    lapping folk

edit: also perhaps, overtakes on the track are one and one, being overtaken in the pits is only minus 0.5 or something. Obviously needs balancing but what game doesn't?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I see that the BBC have finally added some studio discussion to their coverage of Formula E so it is now pretty much comparable to what 5 Spike bag been offering, minus the advert breaks of course.

Looks like the Hong Kong race took place in wet conditions earlier, which should be interesting...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Posted in the other thread but...

This is really sad news, Charlie Whiting F1 Director dies at age 66 of an embolism just before the start of the new season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47564762

RIP
  • Yeah. Pretty key figure in the whole thing too, does so much more than just during the race. Big shoes to fill, will probably take several pairs of feet.
  • It's going to be a different era.. Bernie's gone for better or worse now this loss is so much sadder...
    The Forum Herald™
  • Not long now, FP1 and FP2 tomorrow. I wonder how much sandbag going will go on?
  • Fp1 Hamilton fastest
    The Forum Herald™
  • And fp2 is a 1-2 for merc
    The Forum Herald™
  • F1 is on sky one this weekend, will probably record it and then not bother watching it, but it’s nice to have the option.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm not reading anything into the FP's at the moment apart from the fact that Williams are awful. Q2/Q3 tomorrow is gonna be very interesting.

BTW, there's an offical f1 online channel which you can subscribe to outside of Europe. All the races for £70 a year! I'm wondering if it would work here with a vpn and a node based in the USA. Hmm...
  • I think we can say it’s going to be close there’s not a massive gap all through the field Williams apart.

I’m not sure Ferrari have got it quite as sown up as pre seasons suggested
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ferrari surely held something back in FP1 and 2? If not, it looks like it could be an incredibly close season.
  • More than likely but we know merc have their party mode and they’re unlikely to have used that already
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    True.
  • Head on chopping block prediction for qually. Ferrari will 1-2 tomorrow and have a 0.5-0.7 gap over Mercedes.
  • Can’t see it
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Vettel, Hamilton, Leclerc, Bottas, Verstappen for the top 5 in quali.
  • So to sum up, Vettel Thinks Merc are in a league of their own, Horner thinks the Merc looks hard to drive and they may lack race pace and Hamilton says there's more to come.

Pick the bones out of that.

I'm tipping Vercrashen to over drive and put in the wall during FP3 and miss out on Qualy.
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Merc is definitely hard for Horner to drive... Is Hamilton's comment more to come from Merc or generally?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!