Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Leclerc did have a free run at the fastest lap, on a well rubbered in track, with a brand new set of softs though. I imagine any of vettel, Hamilton or Botas would have been able to put in a similar time in the same circumstances.

(did he get drs on the final straight to?)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    (did he get drs on the final straight to?)

Yes.
  • To be fair the whole race lacked the drama of previous years as no one will really crashed
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Sebastian Vettel: Ferrari driver says Mercedes' success is boring https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48093928

I'm sure it wouldn't be boring if Ferrari were ahead like Red Bull were for much of the time when he was with them.
  • Lol. It's been less boring since Ferrari almost got their act together the last couple of years.

What is boring is that the big three have stopped the mid-field from ever getting a result.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Lol. It's been less boring since Ferrari almost got their act together the last couple of years. What is boring is that the big three have stopped the mid-field from ever getting a result.

We just need Honda and Renault to improve their engines (drastically). It doesnt help when drivers are still going slowly. Bottas got told by his team to slow down yesterday, thats not what you want to hear as a fan.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bottas got told by his team to slow down yesterday, thats not what you want to hear as a fan.

When did that happen? I only saw the highlights on Channel 4 and don't remember hearing that at any point.
  • I think that's tyre related though.

The tyres are the worst.. there's not much wrong with the either Honda or Renault engine when they're in the back of a Red Bull.

It's the tyres that where the reason Bottas was told to slow down iirc and they've absolutely ruined the pitstops.. there's never any chance of pushing hard and coming out on top .. or the over cut.. it's under cut and that always comes out on top of the pitstop battles.
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I can see why people like Kimi But he’s not especially likeable

I love him, he's a Finn after you bother to get to know them
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I do wonder where Vettel will go if he gets his arse kicked by LeClerc this season. I can only see him going to RedBull next or the season after if Verstappen moves on (to Mercedes if hamilton retires).
    Assuming Vettel doesn't get his arse kicked by Leclerc and fades away...I wonder if in a couple of seasons they might engineer a swap with Lewis/Seb...so Hammo at Ferrari and Seb at Merc.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • There’s been a lot of rumours of Lewis going to Ferrari but I can’t see merc wanting seb... his four titles don’t look worth much to me.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah...the thought has been rattling around in my head from well before this season, but the way Leclerc has started suggests Vettel might not be their number 1 by the time Lewis might be looking to move. And would Hammo then fancy going against a settled in Leclerc?
  • Say he wins this year and he’s got another year at merc for 2020 and he wins that and that puts him level with Michael and out of contract ... and Ferrari in that scenario still don’t have a wdc I could see him signing a one year mega deal to
    Win them a title
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I think that's tyre related though. The tyres are the worst.. there's not much wrong with the either Honda or Renault engine when they're in the back of a Red Bull. It's the tyres that where the reason Bottas was told to slow down iirc and they've absolutely ruined the pitstops.. there's never any chance of pushing hard and coming out on top .. or the over cut.. it's under cut and that always comes out on top of the pitstop battles.

Pirelli can make tyres that can last an entire race and allow the drivers to drive flat out. They do that in superbikes. Just mandate x number of pitstops per race and having to run the other compound, i dont see the problem. This tip toe shit around the circuit is rubbish.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I think that's tyre related though. The tyres are the worst.. there's not much wrong with the either Honda or Renault engine when they're in the back of a Red Bull. It's the tyres that where the reason Bottas was told to slow down iirc and they've absolutely ruined the pitstops.. there's never any chance of pushing hard and coming out on top .. or the over cut.. it's under cut and that always comes out on top of the pitstop battles.
    Pirelli can make tyres that can last an entire race and allow the drivers to drive flat out. They do that in superbikes. Just mandate x number of pitstops per race and having to run the other compound, i dont see the problem. This tip toe shit around the circuit is rubbish.

Pirelli are making the tyres Bernie asked them to make.. I don't understand why the yanks aren't changing it up.. lets get a tyre war going!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Pirelli are making the tyres Bernie asked them to make.. I don't understand why the yanks aren't changing it up.. lets get a tyre war going!

I thought they looked at this and invited Bridgestone and Hankook to tender. Pirelli threw a fit and it all died down.
  • the requirement for the new tender was stupid, cos they'd have to make tyres for 13" rim for one season, then the 18" ones.

I don't think a tyre war solves the problem with pirelli...as said in here, they've been asked to make tyres that degrade like this. If they were asked to make 'good' tyres that lasted and they were still crap then bring in rivals.
  • I thought Bernie decided a tire war wasn't in anyones interest?

A tyre war would solve it because no one would ask for fake degredation any more.

We had one race where the tyres degraded faster than was thought and it made for an exciting race and Bernie asked for it to be a thing.. it wasn't one of his better ideas (see also sprinklers, medals etc.).
    The Forum Herald™
  • Are 18 inch tyres coming next season?
  • Lol liberty media's plan for a Q4 in qually rejected by the teams. Good. There's nothing wrong with qually. LB wanted Q4 so they could add another TV break into the schedule. Muppets.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Are 18 inch tyres coming next season?

You'd of thought 2021 would be best?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah google confirms 2021 I think.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah the previous pirelli contact expired after 2019, the new tender was for 3 years, 20-22...so a newcomer would have had to make one type of tyre for 2020 then totally new ones for following season. A bit of a stitch up really as pirelli then only realistic option
  • OK. here's a wild prediction. Vettel gets beaten by Leclerc comfortably over the season, and he retires. Ferrari still want an experienced driver since Giovinnazi is prob next in line and not good enough, Renault won't release Danny Ric....so Ferrari bring back Fernando! :)
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    He's leaving the Endurance Championship at the end of the year so that would work...
  • Yeah, i think reading that set the wheels in motion! ;)
    Obviously don't really expect it to happen, and I'm not even particularly an Alonso fan, I'd just really like to see him in a proper competitive car against Hammo, something I don't think we ever really got other than their season together at Mclaren.
  • They’d never bring him back
    The Forum Herald™
  • If a seat opened up at Ferrari or Mercedes (with Vettel or hamo leaving) I'd expect verstappen to be the no1 target for that seat.

Alonso would only return to McLaren if they were at the level of a Ferrari or Mercedes in performance. That said I'd like to see him in FormulaE or BTCC.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've been watching the F1 thing on Netflix on and off. The Hass team boss seems like a really shit manager.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!