• Historically they would have been but Horner has been an arse, Max is Max and I didnt like how they treated Gasly.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    The one I’m finding interesting is the change from Renault to Alpine. Seems like two corporate missions are at odds there. Renault have made the change because they want to make Alpine their performance brand. They’re going to badge up things like a Megane Alpine or a Clio Alpine. The F1 team will raise the profile of Alpine = sporty. But they previously made clear that they want Alpine to be their electric brand. So why use it in F1 and not Formula E? What I’m interested in is the future of Alpine - what cars will be made under that name? Because the current A110 is a fucking amazing car. I’m left wondering whether the overall plan has actually changed.
    I believe they are planning on releasing a number of cars under Alpine brand. Totto Wolff said to Brundle recently that since joining F1 Mercedes brand value has gone from a few hundred million to £4 billion odd now. Its changed how Mercedes cars are perceived and the AMG brand as well. What was one a car brand for rich older folk has an image that resonates with a young demograph. Would we have seen a 2L 4 cylinder 400bhp+ hyperhatch if Mercedes werent in F1? I dont think so, they wouldnt have had the technology or the market to sell it in. What happens to RenaultSport then? The R.S initals are synonymous with Audi now. Maybe make all their performance cars Alpines?

Everyone asks for an AMG line now.. they've been very clever with how they've applied it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • The safety car will be ferrari red this weekend. As its ferrari's 1,000 race.

Screenshot-20200910-111223-Twitter.jpg

The burgundy ferrari

Screenshot-20200910-112317-Chrome.jpg
  • I'm hyped for it! Hamilton will have a point to prove!
    The Forum Herald™
  • So there will be at least a Ferrari on the track after vettel and le clerc smash it.

It’s interesting that in the olden days F1 ran on sponsorships money but it seems like F1 teams are effectively sponsoring themselves to get money from the manufacturer by virtue of enhancing the manufacturer?!??
  • So the Mercedes is going to be in Ferrari’s colour, while the Ferrari, er, isn’t. Okay then.
  • Petro Ferrari (btw how cool is having ferrari as your surname. Drool).

“Scuderia Ferrari’s 1000th Grand Prix is a very important milestone, therefore it had to be marked in a special way," he said. "That’s why we decided to run a unique livery on the cars for this event, with the SF1000s taking to the track at the Mugello Circuit in the Burgundy colour first seen on the 125S, the first racing car to carry the Ferrari name."

• That burgundy Ferrari takes me back to the Berger and Alesi era.

Used to love Jean Alesi, a real exciting rogue of a driver, always used to root for him back in the day. Only won one race in Canada, what a day.

A real character.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I wonder if they'll also have a burgundy tow-truck this weekend...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ha ha
  • Eric wrote:
    That burgundy Ferrari takes me back to the Berger and Alesi era. Used to love Jean Alesi, a real exciting rogue of a driver, always used to root for him back in the day. Only won one race in Canada, what a day. A real character.

Used to have that ferrari as a Scalextric car if I remember but I think it's width made it uncompetitive to the williams that was the other car. iirc as it was a while ago.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Glad he's getting a shot in a competative car.
  • McLaren are selling their factory (also their F1 HQ) and leasing it from whoever buys it.

Sounds like they need cash, fast.
  • Didn't realise but they're also considering selling their stake in the F1 team too, which would be a bit weird. They are currently only a minority share holder tbf.

Made 2000 out of 4500 redundant from memory too a couple of months ago which is a pretty deep cut so they must be in a spot of bother.
  • Aye, there is also a lot of talk around them having brought in ‘debt advisers’ to help them restructure finances.

It’s an open secret that McLaren are struggling financially, but the general opinion is that they’re doing all the right things to address it and stabilise. Cutting down on production numbers, moving excess stock from the dealer network, etc. The prediction is that the F1 team will be a net contributor to profit by the end of the year as well.
  • If they can finish 3rd in the constructors championship, I imagine that's worth a decent chunk of change as well.
  • If Mclaren weren't so pigheaded about not making a Mclaren SUV they might actually have more money available to them. The new Aston Martin suv is a huge hit with the rich folk.
  • The DBX is a huge hit with reviewers. Not with customers, yet. It’s too early to tell. And Aston are still very much in the shit for all the development costs and costs of building a new factory specifically for it. The DBX is gorgeous, by all accounts, but it’s hasn’t saved them yet.
  • This should really be in the car thread, sorry for the derail …
  • I dont see how McLaren could be rolling in it by making something like the DBX. Sports cars are highly desireable products, which is why McLaren can make 150 of something. An SUV surely needs to be a production car, which they arent set up to manufacture.
  • It's a funny old thing though. Saw the Aston in the flesh and it's not particularly high and it looks like every other Aston.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I dont see how McLaren could be rolling in it by making something like the DBX. Sports cars are highly desireable products, which is why McLaren can make 150 of something. An SUV surely needs to be a production car, which they arent set up to manufacture.

A luxury suv mclaren is a mclaren on stilts. They wouldnt sell in huge numbers due to the price but they would bring in revenue. SUVs as much as i dislike them are huge. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, Aston all getting involved. Theres a market there for sure.
  • The bentaga is what I was thinking of not the aston
    Its become bentleys biggest seller ahead of the continental gt (a car i would own, bespoke for me if i was a billionaire).
  • Dante’s right though. The proven model is to mass-produce an SUV so that its sales can prop up a lower volume performance/luxury car business. Porsche led the way. VAG have persuaded their brands to follow suit (Lambo, Bentley, even Audi).

A low-volume SUV wouldn’t help any more than another low-volume sports car.

(And Ferrari are not doing an SUV. They refuse to dilute their brand.)
  • One of my neighbours bought a Bentayaga, which they park in the street. Someone crashed into it (scrape damage only) within a week. Presumably because they were distracted by how FUCKING UGLY it is and then couldn’t miss it because it’s so FUCKING BIG.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    McLaren are selling their factory (also their F1 HQ) and leasing it from whoever buys it.

Sounds like they need cash, fast.

Yeah, they are in a bad way. A friend of a friend who works there were worried for their job early this year.

• poprock wrote:
    Dante’s right though. The proven model is to mass-produce an SUV so that its sales can prop up a lower volume performance/luxury car business. Porsche led the way. VAG have persuaded their brands to follow suit (Lambo, Bentley, even Audi).

A low-volume SUV wouldn’t help any more than another low-volume sports car.

(And Ferrari are not doing an SUV. They refuse to dilute their brand.)

Ferrari suv is due for release in 2021.

"The Purosangue will be Ferrari's first ever SUV – and it'll be available with either a V6, V8 or V12 engine. ... When it goes on sale next year, the Purosangue will go head-to-head against a growing number of ultra-premium SUVs, such as the Aston Martin DBX and Lamborghini Urus."
  • Haha! That had totally passed me by. A U-turn worthy of the UK Government. I stand corrected.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Bottas for pole then? Ham seems a bit shoddy here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!