• I'd take 3m if I was as shit as palmer.
  • Kyvat is turd. Needs to be flushed. Palmer is a wet turd.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Apparently Renault have offered Palmer £3 million to go early.. but Sainz says no one has talked to him about it. Lol.

Renault are clearly planning on running a single car for the remainder of the season and estimated that they would save at least £3 million by not having Palmer in the other car causing damage.
  • I wonder if a person could avoid engine penalties that way.
  • Equalising competition in Formula 1 to allow shock results like Leicester City winning the Premier League is part of a five-point plan created to improve grand prix racing.

Leicester was tipped for relegation in the 2015/16 season but instead its shock title triumph made it only the sixth club to win the league in 24 years of the Premier League.

It was also the first time since Nottingham Forest's 1977/78 success that a new winner had claimed the first-division title in England.

F1's commercial boss Sean Bratches believes a motor-racing equivalent is not possible at the moment because of the disparity in budget and performance across the F1 grid.

Although independent teams Red Bull and Brawn have won titles in the previous decade, Red Bull's quartet came at significant expense - and as the de facto Renault works team - while Brawn's sole season was a takeover of the axed-but-heavily-developed Honda programme.

Bratches said a newly-conducted study had revealed five "north stars" that F1 wanted to focus on, with the first theme prioritising fairer racing.

"'Revel in the Racing' is all about creating a better competition on the grid," he said.

"Right now there are no Leicester Cities in F1.

"The back of the grid is way too far behind the front of the grid. It's not a meritocracy.

"Through costs caps, reapportionment of revenue, or governance, we're actually going to create a better spectacle, a better racing environment, a competitive one, for fans."

The 'Breaking borders' theme is aimed at tackling F1's "cloak of exclusivity", according to Bratches, and finding a way for fans to "touch and play at certain levels".

Bratches said his tender to "create fan festivals in city centres, in proximity to grands prix next year" was the way to tackle 'putting the spectacular back into the spectacle'.

Telling the "extraordinary" story of F1's technology is the motivation behind 'Taste the oil', while 'Feel the blood boil' focuses on putting the spotlight on its "gladiator" drivers.

The plan emerged from a study Bratches claims has "never been done at F1".

"We went to four continents, we talked to 10 avid fans, in each continent, for seven hours over two days," he said.

"Our mission statement as a company came out of this - to 'unleash the greatest racing spectacle on the planet'."

It has now been more than a year since Liberty Media inked its deal to take over F1's commercial rights from CVC.

"I think I've credited an excellent edit of senior executives with a wealth of experience to take this commercial side of the business and allow F1 to punch where its weight class is," said Bratches.

"I think it's been under punching to date."

Source:autosport
  • Read that, but other than artificial means I can't see how they can do it. It's not football after all.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I’ve always hated the idea of capping spend or restricting innovation in F1. We have other forms of racing for that, F1 is meant to be the pinnacle – seeing what humans and cars can achieve.
  • capping team spend is surely going to be incredibly difficult to police, never mind implement...I don't really see it as particularly viable.
    and imagine the outrage if Red Bull turn around and say they're sacking 200 people cos the new rules limit staff/costs to x?

what they should do those is try to ensure a fairer playing field at the base level...fairer income distribution etc.  I'd put some restrictions on some bodywork and aerodynamic stuff, in terms of less 'fiddly stuff' I don't like the look and imagine costs loads in terms of constantly iterating through design tweaks. but then open up other areas so teams have more scope for some variety.

I do think they should cap the cost on engines, and the onus should be on the engine maker to supply enough quality engines to last a season - teams shouldn't be punished for faulty failing engines. at the same time, the 'limits' teams are allowed to run their engines at should be policed to be fair - ie. ensure merc aren't happily running their engine at levels their customers are told not to. also engine upgrades can only be used in races when all the customers have the same engine - again, see merc, updating the engines in their cars but not supplying their customers with the new spec until a few races later.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Wasn't Brawn and subsequently redbull the equivalent (bar and then jaguar) of winning the league while not being Man U? Even merc were a new team - although building on brawn (remember when everyone thought Ham was a madman for leaving mclaren)

The problem for me is that it's perfectly possible for any team to win the f1 championship. apart from this year the genius gimmick apparent at the start of the year has lead to dominance and unassailability through the season.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    'Revel in the Racing', 'Breaking borders', 'Taste the oil', 'Feel the blood boil' and a fifth 'north star'. Sounds a bit ridiculous, although most of the practical ideas behind those marketing department slogans are merely being copied from Formula E.

"We went to four continents, we talked to 10 avid fans, in each continent, for seven hours over two days." So 40 fans were consulted worldwide? Doesn't sound like the most in-depth research. What about that online survey from a few years ago?
  • It does seem like a shit focus group. ‘Avid fans’ are already watching F1. Their opinions won’t help you draw in new audiences.
  • Wasn't Brawn and subsequently redbull the equivalent (bar and then jaguar) of winning the league while not being Man U? Even merc were a new team - although building on brawn (remember when everyone thought Ham was a madman for leaving mclaren) The problem for me is that it's perfectly possible for any team to win the f1 championship. apart from this year the genius gimmick apparent at the start of the year has lead to dominance and unassailability through the season.
    Not really. For Red Bull the footy analogy would be like Man City...a middling team taken over by people with very deep pockets who then spend a fortune to be at the top of the pile after a few seasons.
    Brawn was from the old Honda team, who had spent a fortune building the car ready for that coming season before pulling out late on.  Merc then took that team over, and spent a fortune to get to the top of the pile and it still took another 4 years or so.
  • Not really Ram,

Brawn did it on a tiny budget the year he won. He was lucky the merc engine fitted and very lucky to exploit the double diffuser rule. Even then it was in credibly close as the big teams copied his teams idea
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm not convinced the "fortune" metaphor works. Because everyone spends a fortune but also, red bull will not have spent more than Ferrari or mclaren.
  • I think a spending cap is on the way, no matter how difficult it is to enforce. Aston Martin, Volkswagen group and others would join F1 if there was a spending cap. Ross Brawn has alluded to as much.
    F1 has to change and there will be a huge amount of it. It will probably upset the core fanbase but the powers that be won't care as its an aging fanbase at present.

My own guess is we'll see the following eventually:

1. Race series split into 3 continental mini championship: Americas, Europe and Far/middle East (with an overall world champion). 7 or 8 races per continent.

2. A spending cap.

3. Three car teams (so you can have a guest driver take part in one of the mini continental championships I.e a nascar or indy car driver for the America's portion of the championship).

4. Bigger presence on Internet and social media and attraction of younger brands to appeal to 18-35 market. Also tailored advertising for the continent in question I.e AT&T or Walmart sponsoring a car for the Americas portion of the championship.

5. Possibly frachised teams ala in NFL. Giving each franchise a fair portion and therefore chance to win.

6. Maybe a merging of formula 1 and formula E in the future.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No matter what Ferrari say, and how much they threaten the FIA they need F1 as much as the other way around
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Ferrari use f1 as an advert for their road cars. Can you recall ever seeing a ferrari road car advert ever on TV?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well no, but I can't think of many p[remium/aspirational brands that advertise on telly. Also I don't watch a lot of (any) telly

Was amused the other day when Facebook tried selling me an Vantage V8 though, surprised at how 'affordable' it was, just very expensive to park it anywhere in this town
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Porsche run magazine adverts in car magazines . Ferrari don't. It's entire marketing budget is f1.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Not much running in p1 because of wet weather ..

Could mix up the results
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Not really Ram, Brawn did it on a tiny budget the year he won. He was lucky the merc engine fitted and very lucky to exploit the double diffuser rule. Even then it was in credibly close as the big teams copied his teams idea
    Yeah, Brawn had a tiny budget, but my argument was they don't fit the Leicester analogy 'cos the car (and double diffuser) were designed with a huge budget from honda.
    A football analogy for that would be like if an Abramovich-type owner suddenly pulled all his money out of a club at the start of a season, so they had to get by on gate receipts alone, but meanwhile they already had the best squad and won the league despite fading after not being able to buy anyone in the January window.
    And then at the end of the season their revolutionary double sweeper formation was banned! ;)

anyway, that's enough torturous analogies.

merc struggling today, though a comment from Ricciardo suggest he reckons they were running loads of fuel
  • In contrast to F1 questioning 40 fans in a few focus groups … here is the WEC’s open online survey on the future direction of endurance racing. Available in 10 languages, results to be made public at the last race of the season, and will influence decisions for the 2019/20 season.

https://wecsurvey.motorsport.com
  • Vettel out in Q1. Problema with engine. Changing it will take too long. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Starts last on Sunday. Love it.
  • Hahahahahahahaha
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is the last race double points Still? Or did that stop?

Could be a big swing though. 1-5 Or something means a lead of 40 odd points doesn't it? 5 seconds?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    He'll still be up there, but it's not great for an exciting championship.
  • It's hamiltons to lose now
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Double points was a one off unfortunately for Vettel.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!