Revolutions in Videogames (Parrot or Magpie)
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Probably, y'all feel the need to point out every mistake I make with a question or something? Like the third time you've done it in a few days.  It's a bit tedious.
    TBH Temps, this is probably just a cantankerous perception because you're fucked off with the idiots in Court of Oryx today.
    You're right, it is. Apologies. As you were Dante.

Glad we sorted that out then.

The reason I mentioned it though was to make the 'nothing new under the sun' point. Most peoples point of reference for that stuff would be WOW, but that cribbed from what came before. All games do, and I'm not sure there is much we can describe as truly revolutionary.

So I guess the question is has that stuff been deployed in a new context? WOW for me made it much more accessible, whilst remaining in the same vein. Destiny took that and made it accessible in another genre entirely.
  • The revolutionary discussion does always seem to end up falling into semantics. 

At this stage last gen I was thinking that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Crackdown, Test Drive Unlimited, Dead Rising and even Oblivion were fresh. Oblivion obviously wasn't if you'd played Morrowind, but hardly anyone had. Games were able to be great without feeling fresh as well - PGR3 and Forza 2 fit the bill, although trying the on-line in these for the first time made them feel fairly new anyway.

This gen feels like Destiny has been one of the few (the only?) AAA console game that is fresh. Yes, plenty of the ideas come from elsewhere, but no one else is combining them in one bundle for consoles. This is more an indictment of this gen than high praise of Destiny from me. 

Lots of established games this gen have been solid, but we're inundated with unnecessary sequels. Forza 5 felt stale enough that a lot of people here didn't bother with Forza 6.
  • The reason I mentioned it though was to make the 'nothing new under the sun' point. Most peoples point of reference for that stuff would be WOW, but that cribbed from what came before. All games do, and I'm not sure there is much we can describe as truly revolutionary.

DikuMUD?:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_(gaming)

So I guess the question is has that stuff been deployed in a new context? WOW for me made it much more accessible, whilst remaining in the same vein. Destiny took that and made it accessible in another genre entirely.
    That's super broad then, but okay.
  • Djornson wrote:
    chalice - this is not an argment about which is better. we are just saying they are similar. I like WoW. I like Destiny. I've played raids in both. Sue me.

Eh? Sue you why? Chump was saying how raids are over ten years old. He seems intent on convincing us that there isn't much difference between a Destiny raid and a WoW raid. 

Yoss and I are arguing that there is: Gameplay. For those that like proper action games and not lots of stat bars and cooldowns and all that nerdy stuff lol, then Destiny is that game.

@Chump no I haven't played a raid as I've explained to you before, but I've watched them, and they look nothing like Destiny's raids. They look dull, messy and full of numbers and complicated gumpf.
  • Heh, I never said there was no difference, just that sure, for you, raiding is a new thing and revolutionary.
    For MMORPG fans, it's been around since the last millennium.
  • I imagine that's how Destiny raids look to people who don't play Destiny tbh.
  • ...Gameplay. For those that like proper action games and not lots of stat bars and cooldowns and all that nerdy stuff lol, then Destiny is that game. ...
    Heh, overhearing people at work chat about light levels and runes and whatnot, and wandering into then out of the Destiny thread, from the outside looking in it's in the same nerdy ballpark as MMO stat-min-maxers doing their dailies etc.

From the outside looking in, that is. I'm sure none of us on this vidjagame forum feel like nerds.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    The reason I mentioned it though was to make the 'nothing new under the sun' point. Most peoples point of reference for that stuff would be WOW, but that cribbed from what came before. All games do, and I'm not sure there is much we can describe as truly revolutionary.

Which, according to the description on Wiki was essentially a computer-based D&D session, aka an evolution of something that already existed outside of videogames.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Which, according to the description on Wiki was essentially a computer-based D&D session, aka an evolution of something that already existed outside of videogames.
    Yes? i.e. revolutionary for videogames as a medium?
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Pretty much everything's revolutionary within a smaller scope, Citizen Kane was revolutionary for films but did fuck all for the novel. Similarly, everything that's revolutionary has influences that can be pointed out to say it's not. This is where the whole subjectivity argument comes into play.
    Well, yes, and it boils down to what is the topic for the thread - games that were "revolutionary games" (i.e. revolutionary across all the whole videogame medium), or a discussion of any revolutionary aspects of games - which can then break down into topics such as "which game first invented the recharging health/shield mechanic" etc. /shrug I thought it was the former, but if people want to chat about the latter that's cool, makes no bones to me.

Boris then clarified though that the intent was:
    b0r1s wrote:
    The OP intent was what have we seen so far in this current gen that has been revolutionary (for me that is, as previously said, unexpected)?

So, I was off the mark anyhow.
  • I feel like people (perhaps just yoss) loves Destiny so much it needs to be given every hyperbolic title. Goty of every year, revolutionary, best point and click adventure game.

Madness.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not arguing this one very hard if that is true.
  • djchump wrote:
    ...Gameplay. For those that like proper action games and not lots of stat bars and cooldowns and all that nerdy stuff lol, then Destiny is that game. ...
    Heh, overhearing people at work chat about light levels and runes and whatnot, and wandering into then out of the Destiny thread, from the outside looking in it's in the same nerdy ballpark as MMO stat-min-maxers doing their dailies etc. From the outside looking in, that is. I'm sure none of us on this vidjagame forum feel like nerds.

Yeah but the difference is when you're actually playing the game. you don't worry about any of that stuff. Just shoot the thing and enjoy it.
  • I dunno why you're disparaging one system of aesthetics and mechanics for being nerdy. You're shooting reskinned spaceorks with cutely named guns in a cod Fantasy/Sci world videogame whilst worrying about cooldown timers and nerdy stuff like progression towards raid readyness.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You're all a bunch of bloody nerds.

It's like when I was massively into my nintendo stuff and mates thought because they were pretend footballers and pretend F1 drivers they weren't also geeks :-D
  • Tempy wrote:
    I dunno why you're disparaging one system of aesthetics and mechanics for being nerdy. You're shooting reskinned spaceorks with cutely named guns in a cod Fantasy/Sci world videogame whilst worrying about cooldown timers and nerdy stuff like progression towards raid readyness.

Yeah but Destiny looks really fucking cool.
  • To a lot of people, it looks dumb and WoW looks cool.
  • Of course it isn't, because we're mired in subjectivity and semantics, but like people with Film & Novels, the same is true. One person's revolutionary film is another's pale imitation of an obscurer work.

I dunno what you expected, people just to go "well, on second thoughts I guess because of how Chalice put it, Destiny IS the GOAT." maybe? I did my best to explain why that assertion holds little water for me, then we progressed into the back and forth of "yeah but, yeah but"

It's not a bad thing either IMO, just proves how subjective lots of things are. The posts about CoD and Minecraft are the most relevant to the original intent of the OP, but once it's clarified to this gen it rules them out. I don't think there's much that qualifies yet, we're very much in a transnational period.
  • Was it Doom, or was it Wolf3D?
    Minecraft or Infiniminer?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I'm not arguing this one very hard if that is true.

Fair enough.
  • Well, as far as console gaming goes, I'm still voting for destiny as the big thing, revolutionary or whatever word you wanna use, and I'm more than sure that it will be borrowed from incessantly in the years to come, just as Destiny itself has borrowed stuff from games before it.

Bungie are the masters of FPS combat. To have all the RPG/MMO trappings on top of that wonderful gameplay, is to me, a revolution for console gaming, despite the fact that it's all been done before at some point.

The complete package is a wonder. No game rewards me so much when I play. Even after a year.
  • It would have been a revolution if the entire fucking story, plot and all other aspects related to the lore of the universe they created weren't fucked in the bin during development.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • When I was writing my big massive post about what it could learn from WoW, I had in the back of my mind your posts about actual viable Support classes. I still think going hard on those aspects, making raids and heavier team strategy based Strikes and Raids would be a step to really elevate the game into something more impressive.
  • Well, as far as console gaming goes, I'm still voting for destiny as the big thing, revolutionary or whatever word you wanna use, and I'm more than sure that it will be borrowed from incessantly in the years to come, just as Destiny itself has borrowed stuff from games before it. Bungie are the masters of FPS combat. To have all the RPG/MMO trappings on top of that wonderful gameplay, is to me, a revolution for console gaming, despite the fact that it's all been done before at some point. The complete package is a wonder. No game rewards me so much when I play. Even after a year.

So it's a revelation for you, that's fair enough. (I don't think anybody would deny it's huge impact on console gaming and some impact on PC gaming.)

I've decided. There is only one revolutionary videogame. The first one.
  • A revelation? A revolution? A fucking great game? Who gives a fuck, Halo is out today. ;)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yes? i.e. revolutionary for videogames as a medium?
    Just to come back to this for one minute, I find this such a bizarre distinction. X isn't revolutionary because it borrowed ideas from other videogames, Y is revolutionary because it borrowed ideas from things other than videogames. Does that not seem like a slightly odd line to draw?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    I've decided. There is only one revolutionary videogame. The first one.

I think you'll find that you stole that opinion from me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    ALL THE SHOOTY BANGS ARE REVOLUTION, they stopped man mentals from shoting mans in real life innit. Tamed them psychos, just a constant day in, day out loop of pull right trigger, maybe right bumper for an explosion, eh I jumped, SHOOT AGAIN.
  • eh shoot the man and dunt afeared

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!