Locks, Stocks and Smoking Barrels.
  • Did clay shooting on a stag do once. Did okay as I hit 29 out of 30 clays. Have never felt the compulsion to have another go. Archery however, I do fancy trying.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have tried archery. Is very good. Surprising how much pull is required on the string and its set pretty slack for beginners.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Maybe ammo storage is a better solution? Maybe you should only be allowed to have so many rounds at any one time?  Maybe there is a rule for that already? Wouldn't mind giving clay shooting a go actually.
    I don't know about that, I'll ask the FAO when I see them but I am planning on buying them in batches of 1,000 as that is the quantity my friends buy them in.
  • You are only allowed to hold so many bullets at a time. A amount agreed between you and your local issuing authority. The amount can change up or down depending on behaviour/trustworthiness. 
    Every purchase has to be entered onto your FC (firearms cert) at purchase. You can buy a certain amount at once and hold a certain amount the two numbers can be different. 
    If you get inspected and you hold more than stated then it's bad news. 
    My limits are.38/.357 = 750 rounds.
    .22 = 500 rounds. 

The rules, again, are different for shotgun shells. I think the limit is something ridiculous life 50,000 shells!
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    That could be to do with the fact that shotgun cartridges on their own aren't really dangerous whereas if you hit a bullet with a nail and a hammer it does go bang with some considerable velocity behind it.
  • Shotgun shells are still very dangerous outside of the gun. They have approx 28gr of powder in them compared to a .38 that would have about 3-6gr in it. All that lead shot would also probably fan out. It would be a mini grenade. 

The large number is because folks on estates want to host weekends and large shooting drives without going down to the shops for more shells every hour.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Thank god I said "could be"!
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    I suppose I understand the allure of going somewhere and firing a gun at non-living targets.  Not sure why people would want them in their homes, though.
    You completely forget they are there.

That can't be good. And what if you get burgled?
  • As i said did before your average burglary here in the UK is some smackhead looking for jewellery and some cash. They usually last 20mins or less. 

The safe is a steel box, bolted to a wall. It will withstand 20 mins of attack WITH tools. Minimum. 
    You typical burglar doesn't have angle grinders and tungsten carbide drills with him.
  • While I agree it's unlikely, it's still a possibility. What are the minimum legal requirements for keeping one at home?
  • Yes, it's a possibility. I don't want to sound churlish but, you can't eliminate possibility only make it unlikely. 

The police weigh several factors, like the crime rate in your area, the structural integrity of the property and the security i.e. Double glazing, alarms, occupancy level (how many hours per day someone is in the  house) before deciding whether it's appropriate to have the guns stored at home. After that the safe has to be built to a British Safety standard applicable to gun cabinets. It has to have five points of contact to the fabric of the building. I.e. A concrete floor, brick wall, joists etc...
    It had to be out of sight and preferably somewhere not normally accessed on a day to day basis, like a loft. But that last one seems to be a preference and not a law/guideline.

Edit
    And the police will come and check all of these things.

I have six expanding bolts fixing mine to the wall and i cut a hole in the plasterboard to make it harder for a crowbar to get behind it.
  • That's actually pretty reassuring. It's prejudice on my part to assume you're all mental of course but that seems quite safe. I guess I never will understand the appeal, but then again I feel that way about most sport, even the ones that don't involve guns.
  • The mental thing is so tiring. And it's the reason nearly everyone who owns them won't mention the hobby to friends or colleagues etc...

I'm not going to try and convince you that you are wrong that you can't understand the appeal. But it's not all a gun in each hand braying like a jacked up redkneck at the sky while emptying 5000 rounds at the moon. 

The rifle shooting is probably one of the most zen things I've ever done. If you are flighty or a skittish personality you won't hit Jack. To shoot well you have to exclude all outside stimulus and go into an almost meditative state, relaxed breathing, relaxed heart rate etc... Total calm. 

The clay is much different, if you've ever played Duck Hunt or CoD and enjoyed yourself then the appeal is immediately apparent. It's fast, dynamic, you get a thrill - a little endorphin reward. It's great fun.

Another thing that might put you a bit more at ease is the police really, really don't want you to have these things. They have the ability and will absolutely use it to take the guns away or insist they be stored elsewhere if you show any signs of not complying with the rules our if the situation changes. 
    You are basically 'allowed' to own these things, after establishing a compelling argument, it's not a right within British law. 
    Again though shotguns are a different matter It's similar but not quite as far as i can tell a right to own. The onus is on the police to find a reason not to let you.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My guess is that the image of gun ownership is tainted by the perception of the situation in the US.

The fact of the matter is that UK police aren't armed (outside NI) as the norm which speaks volumes. They don't need to be.

Even in NI police arms have cooled off. You don't see police with automatic machine guns on normal patrol any more. They have pistols now.

Heckler-Koch-MP5-machine-gun-19850004b.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • If anyone knows North West London, then they have probably driven past my club several times without knowing. 
    I shoot at the Welsh Harp right next to Brent Cross, you wouldn't know it's there. Not even from the noise. It produces less noise than a building site. 
    One of the things that you might or might not find interesting is it's a little rural there. We get lots of wildlife wandering onto the range. One day a squirrel wandered across the grass while 10 people were standing there banging away with all kinds of different guns. Not a single person took a pot shot at this squirrel. It did it's business, completely unaffected by the racket, and wandered off. 
    Nobody took a shot at it because they don't want to kill anything, we shoot paper targets. Shooting at the squirrel would be seen as showing some questionable judgement.
  • davyK wrote:
    The fact of the matter is that UK police aren't armed (outside NI) as the norm which speaks volumes. They don't need to be.

I'd argue that the police in the US don't need to be armed either. It's counter-productive. The "They've got guns so we need bigger guns" is never going to be a sound argument. It's never worked in the entire history of the human race. I'm willing to go with guns for sport though. And food.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I always enjoyed shooting, haven't in years now though. The "you must be mental to use a weapon" argument is unbelievably flawed. I'd make an argument that all children should be taught to shoot at various times in their school career, a range day every other year or annually. But then I'd also argue that they should also be taught at similarly spaced times how to catch, despatch and prepare poultry and fish, even if they're a vegetarian

My thinking behind it is that I firmly believe that many deaths are caused because people are unaware of the actual amount of damage you can do or simply not realising a round was chambered, playing with a weapon. Exposure to weapons helps to breed a respect for them, the same logic to preparing meat
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The situation in the US is outrageous. I would never want to see the same lax gun control they have here. 

I think by and large we've got it right here. If the procedure the government has set in place are followed then the risk to the public is very small. 
    It's well worth noting that the procedures were not followed or acted upon with that guy in Cumbria. 
    He didn't have a reason to show continued ownership of his rifle - as far as i could tell. He was also reported to the police as being unstable by his family, i also recall him waving a shotgun around in front of colleagues, who reported the incident to the police before he went on the spree. Anyone one of those three circumstances where enough to have all of his guns instantly taken away from him. 
    The police don't mess around, they knock on your door say we have had a report of... Come in and take then away. No arguments. You have to go to arbitration to get them back.
  • @cocko
    Yeh, but you are a bit mental.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    But then I'd also argue that they should also be taught at similarly spaced times how to catch, despatch and prepare poultry and fish, even if they're a vegetarian.

Why?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Exposure breeds respect. Knowing where your food comes from is a fundamental step towards making decent informed decisions about what you eat. Same way as watching a safety demonstration teaches you that maybe you only want to pull that trigger when you really need to
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Exposure also leads to 5 year old getting positive k/d ratios.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I have taken a few mates with me and I really enjoy going through the safety aspects of using the gun with them as much as I enjoy the shooting itself.

It is nice knowing that you are teaching somebody something and if they enjoy it as much as most people seem to then that is an added bonus.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Exposure breeds respect. Knowing where your food comes from is a fundamental step towards making decent informed decisions about what you eat. Same way as watching a safety demonstration teaches you that maybe you only want to pull that trigger when you really need to

This is all true, but why vegetarians? What about vegans?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    OK, I misused the term as a catchall for anyone not an omnivore. I was implying that dietary or religious choice would not be an acceptable reason to skip these events

Hell I remember even when I was at school (class of 96) we had kids who would swerve dissections with notes from mother
  • davyK wrote:
    There's a bit more to it than that. The UK used to arm a few more police than they do now but, after a couple of questionable shootings, they took the fucking excellent decision to have small, highly-trained, armed response units. But yeah, most coppers don't need to have a gun in their daily business and that's a very good thing.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    A little video of my mate from Good Friday.

Also I was quite pleased as I hit 68 which isn't that impressive until you consider that another fella who was with us who can hit in the 90's only hit 71 which shows how difficult the traps were set-up.

• Watching this video about gun laws in the UK.  Interested to hear other's thoughts about gun laws. 

The guy from England is dumb as fuck, right enough.  I haven't watched it all yet but, "20 times £12,00 is..uh...em...well anyone can do the maths" and where he points out that the chief of police "could be a woman" suggests that he's maybe not the best advocate for changing gun laws.

My personal thoughts is that the laws we have work fine, for the most part.  I don't think any problems would be solved by letting the general public buy firearms.  I think it would (obviously) introduce a few.

• I don't need to watch a video to know that guns should not be readily available outwith the military/very carefully controlled situations.
  • Having said that I'd totally fire a sniper rifle at a melon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!