I am a Trashbaby and I Can't Wake Up
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I set two alarms. One 15 minutes early and one on the dot. Most obnoxious sound that'l give me shellshock in retirement. Next to my head on the bedside table.
  • My advice, not that I follow it, don't use snooze and if you wake up naturally close to your alarm don't go back to sleep.
    Get out of bed straight away and get in the shower.

I despise mornings but that works best for me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Get up about an hour before you need to and play Elite for a while.
  • Due to the hours of my new job, life has completely transformed for me. I used to be a night owl, up late on the Xbox, now I'm up at 3am most mornings and I love it. I watch the sun come up every day and I'm usually done with work by midday.

I never thought I was a morning person, but once you get in the routine, there's nothing better. I'm in bed by eight or nine most nights, and don't feel I'm missing anything by hitting the hay so early.

My top tip for getting up in the morning? Have something to look forward to the next day, and think about that before you go to sleep. If there's something you actually want to do, getting up really is easy. I'm loads happier. The new job is challenging and I've got purpose.

That's what it's all about Temps.
  • Good to hear you're doing well mate.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Due to the hours of my new job, life has completely transformed for me. I used to be a night owl, up late on the Xbox, now I'm up at 3am most mornings and I love it. I watch the sun come up every day and I'm usually done with work by midday. I never thought I was a morning person, but once you get in the routine, there's nothing better. I'm in bed by eight or nine most nights, and don't feel I'm missing anything by hitting the hay so early. My top tip for getting up in the morning? Have something to look forward to the next day, and think about that before you go to sleep. If there's something you actually want to do, getting up really is easy. I'm loads happier. The new job is challenging and I've got purpose. That's what it's all about Temps.

I feel like you regularly waking up at 3am and being happy with this arrangement is the most significant problem posted in the thread so far. I demand that you cease being happy at once!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Nah, he said he doesn't play the Xbox much anymore.
  • I can't seem to help it but I almost always go to bed about 1am. My son wakes up around 4.30am most mornings, I then bring him downstairs while I drift in and out on the sofa either with him or while he watches tv/plays etc. I wake up proper at 6.30am. At weekends I do the same time, but kip when he does midday.

I really think I should start developing a new routine though, as most days I am tired by about 3pm.
  • How the fuck do you people cope with, like, 5 hours sleep?

I'd love to go to bed at 9:30/10:30 and get up at 5. That's the dream.
  • I spent most of my 20s (when not doing a proper job) getting up in the afternoon and not being able to sleep until 5 am or so, and definitely would've called myself a night person.

But I've spent a lot of the last 5 years in particular just sitting at home working at my desk with no specific deadlines or any reason to do anything right now and I get up at 8 every day, and go to bed around midnight every night. Sometimes I sleep well sometimes I don't, but I get up regardless. 

No caffeine and very little booze is an obvious help, but mostly it's just a case of forcing myself into a routine. I actually set a weekly target for working hours and have a spreadsheet where I input every hour I do. I don't always meet the target but I'm never far off, and to get there I basically have to get up and put a few hours in before lunch. If I'm tired I'm probably less productive, but I put the time in anyway. I might be a geeky-saddo but it works for me and was probably necessary to keep a steady pace throughout my research and writing.
  • I think I'm the same as you Temps. Very easy to stay up late and then let myself sleep in.
    Like other people that only really changed when I started working. I still don't like getting up early and the year where I had to set my alarm to 6am was my nightmare but I've found that trying to keep my off day alarm close to my work day alarm helps me get up. I usually set it to 8am on off days. Doesn't mean I won't hit snooze until 10 or 11 and feel like shit though. Things like golf and FNF help me actually follow through

So yeah. Super helpful. My only thing would be to find something that requires you to get up early that you can do regularly. It'll force you to get up and get your body used to it. Maybe.
    Do a barista course and get a cafe job maybe.

Or just soak in the good life with little responsibility and the strict hours will come eventually. Then, like me, you'll look back on those days and wish you could do as little as you used to.
  • How the fuck do you people cope with, like, 5 hours sleep?

I'd love to go to bed at 9:30/10:30 and get up at 5. That's the dream.

We had this discussion on the forum before but aren't 4hr chunks the right thing? So 4hrs is fine, 8hrs is, so on so on. Must vary slightly by person but it's sleep cycles or something .If so, I can fully understand someone getting less than 5hrs feeling better than someone on 7.

• I thought it was 90 minutes blocks?
  • Yeah or that maybe.
  • It's quite suspect science, and probably very personal
  • I've spent most of my working life getting up at 5am and being the one to open a gym at 6am, being expected to be bright and chirpy and motivating. I find that once I got into the routine it was very easy to get up and enjoy it.
    Weekends I would often get up at 5am for a run with my sparring partner. I find a regular exercise programme and healthy diet really helps me sleep better and wake up feeling fresh and motivated.

Once I moved to Oxford and quit the gym job I had for 7 years I started working as a primary school sports coach yet kept my early rising routine with some light exercise and a healthy bowl of porridge and fruit.
    Now there's nothing I love better than being the first up, watching the sun rise as I sit In my conservatory sipping coffee.

Not sure what I can suggest to help. Just wanted to brag.
    Good luck!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Must research and find the level for Maximum Tiger. I'm thinking 6 hours would be perfect.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Cats are usually asleep. 6 hours awake is probably maximum Tiger.
  • Does feel like it tbh.
  • I met an instructor years ago who told me that I should learn to "eat the frog"

When I asked what he meant he replied "how do you eat a raw frog? Probably quite disgusting right? So you just grimace and eat it in one go as quick as you can.
    Just eat the damn frog.
    Apply this to anything difficult in life. Just do it. Don't hesitate, don't discuss or debate it. Just fucking do it. "

So when the alarm goes off, just eat the frog. Do it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's quite suspect science, and probably very personal

Aye no doubt, although the general concept of less sleep having the potential to leave you more awake is sound, I feel.
  • My credo is "Get in amongst it."

Doesn't work, sadly, but it's fun to say.
  • I met an instructor years ago who told me that I should learn to "eat the frog"

When I asked what he meant he replied "how do you eat a raw frog? Probably quite disgusting right? So you just grimace and eat it in one go as quick as you can.
    Just eat the damn frog.
    Apply this to anything difficult in life. Just do it. Don't hesitate, don't discuss or debate it. Just fucking do it. "

So when the alarm goes off, just eat the frog. Do it.

Also known as doing a Boycott.
  • A boycott?
  • Part of the problem with 'just doing it' is that it's the same as MK's 'just get up' - that's the part I am struggling
  • You need a reason to get up mate. That's what it boils down to, keep it simple.
    Find something that you're passionate about that you can do first thing and look forward to. Then do whatever it takes to get up and do it.
    Do it enough and it becomes a habit.
  • Well that's fucked it
  • You need a reason to get up mate. That's what it boils down to, keep it simple.
    Find something that you're passionate about that you can do first thing and look forward to. Then do whatever it takes to get up and do it.
    Do it enough and it becomes a habit.

Passionate about staying in bed.
  • I do genuinely enjoy the post wake up snooze in bed more than the actual main sleep, often. Great dream times.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!