Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I kinda enjoyed Sturgill, I wasn't expecting to but he managed to avoid being country clichéd. His voice was a bit too twangy for my liking though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My choice.
    The-North-Sea-Scrolls_cover_colour.jpeg
  • Read the Wiki.  I'm now expecting a cross between Darren Hayman & The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.
  • Has this been Dropboxed?  I can't check at work.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have no downloaded or physical version of it and I can't find it on any of the usual torrent places. Maybe someone with Soul Seek or one of those things can find it?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think I may have found a copy on soulseek, assuming the wifi here at work stays connected I'll dropbox it this afternoon. Though it's playing up somewhat so far
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cheers!
  • Cheers.

I've got the latest Kurt Vile to tide me over in the mean time.
  • I have this and can bung it into a dropbox as and when I get home tonight if needs be?  

Interesting choice (in a good way), I particularly like "I'm not the man you think I am Karen, I'm the actor Tony Allen" and "Enoch Powell - Space Poet", and not just because the titles amuse me.

Do you want the version with the spoken word segments (scrolls), or just the songs?
  • Might as well have the full fat version if it's handy, thanks.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've no idea whicxh is which, but it's up on dropbox now, 15 tracks so hopefully tin will know which is which
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's the version without the spoken parts, the same as the one on Spotify.
  • I've uploaded the version with spoken parts to the dropbox as well - so you can choose which version to listen to.  (My version of the album came with a disc including the spoken passages, and a version without, so it's perfectly sensible to have both on the Dropbox.  Honest.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Spotify version doesn't have the spoken bits, so I haven't actually heard them. I'm looking forward to listening to them as I'm sure they'll add a lot to the album.
  • Kow wrote:
    The Spotify version doesn't have the spoken bits, so I haven't actually heard them. I'm looking forward to listening to them as I'm sure they'll add a lot to the album.

They add quite a bit - certainly some of the songs make a fair bit more sense in (admittedly bizarre) context.  Of course, I guess it also risks robbing them of some of the ideas you might have attributed to them already.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, I'm not that up on British goings on so it's good to have context as to who Gomez and Gazza etc are.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I only really came across it as I'm a huge fan of Cathal Coughlan and the Fatima Mansions.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Cheers. I've got the latest Kurt Vile to tide me over in the mean time.
    good innit.  extra stuff on the se version is worth it
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm late, but finally listening to that Sturgill Simpson album this week. Love it but the first half (at the minute, after maybe three listens) is far stronger. So much to like his genre straddling, but keeping the vocal his own and so owning the album despite where else it goes. That takes a lot of confidence, and he's every right to have that confidence. Cheers for nidging me in the right direction there (again) Moot, because I'm very glad I'm sat here listening to it

Have given this weeks album one listen and it's very funny, I'm double surprised that it came from you Kow given yuor statement about not being up to speed on local (UK) politics. Although when yuo said yuo didn't know who Gazza was your tale started to unravel
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I really don't. Besides being basically long term foreign (and not English to begin with), I have no interest in football. I arrived at the album from being a fan of Cathal Coughlan, not The Auteurs.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wasn't questioning your foriegness, just wish yuo had some more exposure to the current political and economic situation here, as the references are really quite fun. I will give it more listens ad come back with more input, but so far there's nothing not to like
  • Kow wrote:
    I only really came across it as I'm a huge fan of Cathal Coughlan and the Fatima Mansions.

I guess I'm the reverse, in so much as I was aware of Coughlan, but came to the album because I was slightly obsessed with Luke Haines at the time.  Partly as a song writer, partly because I enjoy his knack for disdain (real or feigned), but also for his apparent love and nostalgia for weird pop culture oddities.  (The latter probably reaches its peak in "9 1/2 Meditations On British Wrestling of the 1970's and Early 80's" - an album consisting entirely of just that.)

Cockbeard's certainly right that knowing what the various references allude to makes the whole thing more entertaining - but it's fair to say that whilst some things are well known in the UK (like Gazza) others are deliberately obscure - I defy anyone to be able to picture the actor Tony Allen without looking him up, for instance.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like the idea that Ireland conquered Britain in 1948.
  • There's a lot to take in here.  Never heard anything like it though.
  • This is great, I'm glad I downloaded the full version as some of the scrollols were amusing.  It's the sort of thing that could have gone horrendously wrong, but thankfully it hits its stride early and maintains the titters throughout.  The Gazza bit near the end was a highlight, but most of it hit the mark for me.  This'll do nicely as a pressie I owe a mate for lending me money, so I'll be picking up the CD shortly (assuming there is one).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There is. I recommend The Fatima Mansions (Cathal Coughlan's old band) if you liked North Sea Scrolls.
  • So I guess we're at the end of the run? I actually haven't listened to North Sea Scrolls yet but I'm just downloading the album with spoken words now.

I thought, as an end bonus (or anti-bonus if you hate the albums...), I'd put up some Melbourne music I've been listening to lately. On the dropbox there's two unknown artists and one that is quite well known now.

Courtney Barnett.
    Not sure if she's gotten much coverage over in the UK but I know she must have gotten big overseas as she went and played at Coachella this year. Bogan poetry to music is kind of how I see it and at first I thought it would grate me but it grew on me. There's something about her songs that makes them catchy and interesting to listen to. I could understand how one would not like her stuff though.

Eaten By Dogs
    Actually my sister's boyfriend's band. Alt-country I think is how they describe themselves and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed (and still enjoy) this album. I think they're quite good at writing catchy guitar riffs and lyrics. The sis bf is the lead guitarist and sometimes backup vocalist.

The Ben Whiting EP
     By a guy I originally saw at a festival that Eaten By Dogs played at and the first thing I noticed was that if I wasn't looking at the stage I could have sworn it was a female vocalist on the stage. He possibly has one of the nicest female vocalist voices I've heard in a while.
    I'd forgotten about him until the other night when I saw him busking in the city and bought his EP there. I don't think the rest of the songs stand up to the first song, which I like, but I think he has potential and it's worth a listen just for his voice. Kind of country-folk type stuff.
  • I bought Barnett's album and EP (double EP?) at the same time after the reviews for Sometimes I sit & Think...  After reading about her but hearing nothing at that point, I was a initially disappointed.  I give albums scores in a jotter I keep at work, like a bell-end, and I think it rested on [6].  A few months later Tin_Robot selected the track Avant Gardener for the Curated By thread, which I thought was (utterly) fantastic, and I stared to give her a fair go.  Pretty soon Depreston was vying for the top spot alongside Avant Gardener, and I started to enjoy pretty much everything else & watch live performances on Youtube etc.  She's great.  Will give the other two a go.

As for the thread, anyone who wants another go or hasn't had a go feel free to Make Some Noise and we'll carry on, otherwise it can rest for a year or so until I resurrect it with a bang.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!