regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I will give massive points for putting yourself out there and doing something different. I'm glad I had the chance to do it
  • Some lovely sounds and beats in the collection as a whole, but not for me. Weird thing with recommending music, there's always that slight sting in something deep in you when some folk don't like, that which you love. It's all just taste in the end. X@stoph
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Will post some more thoughts tomorrow.  Not my usual thing but I found a handful of tracks to like.  

Face next, whenever you're ready.
  • Well, can't win 'em all. I am listening to Matthew halsall and his orchestra right now though. Cracking album.

Will sort my pick and accompanying post out tomorrow, unless I get a spare half hour this evening.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can we all just post the Grimes album from now on and all talk about that okthxbye
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FYI my pick will not be Grimes
  • One last tip o' the hat to Anderson Paak... given Stoph nearly went with his album, and he was on the mixtape twice. Absolute belter on The Doco 2.5 with The Game.

Meanwhile, my selection, as hinted at, is Cold Chisel. 

It's one of their Greatest Hits albums. 

For most of you using streaming services, that means it will be called: The Best of Cold Chisel: All for you. However, if by some miracle, Spotify, for instance, also has a gold covered album called Chisel, listen to that instead.

Basically, the main 13-15 big hits are the same, but the former has some newer tracks, and only adds one classic, whereas Chisel is prior to comeback, and has a number of live tracks.

Here's the google play music link to my Chisel Playlist.

Here's the All For You Greatest Hits. (On google play)

I realise this may create confusion, but as mentioned, the core is the same.

If someone else can torrent/dropbox, that would be lovely.

Gonna waffle on about 'em a bit now, but will spoiler, as I'd like to give folks a chance to go in blindish.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    http://theconversation.com/the-last-stand-cold-chisel-and-oz-rock-music-3889
    Also see: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/music/toby-cresswell-on-cold-chisel-20111010-1lhsm.html (Toby Cresswell wrote the liner notes on Chisel, which I can't find online, but are excellent.
    Spoiler:
  • Further musings:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• I left my heart to the snipers around the dark zone....
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ah those flame trees, classic

Chisel when they were good were really good
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Going back one, before I get stuck into Face's choice, I've given Stoph's mix three goes now.  Quite a lot of it isn't anywhere near my usual thing, but that's not to say I didn't like it, it just means I'd be a bit crap at commenting on it past 'sounds good' or 'didn't like the vocals' (both being true of a number of tracks).  I doubt I'll buy anything off the back of it, but I liked The Paak tracks, The Internet (quite a lot), Pat Thomas, Matthew Halsall and George FitzGerald.  I think I liked Julio Bashmore too, but I ran hot and cold with that one.  An enjoyably different playlist.
  • Sorry Face, forgot to change the title.  Watching the vids now.
  • Watch that playlist from the start. Having said that, I reckon you're better off listening to the studio stuff first off. Vids were just a bonus.
  • Amusing lyrics, but Choirgirl sounds good.  Going camping in a couple of weeks, got it on at work and a colleague described it as 'something to listen to after all the wood has been chopped'.  Take from that what you will.

Edit: Can't do the Google play thing at work, just got Youtube randoms on at the mo, will look into it properly tonight.
  • I quite like 'em.  Ever so 80s, love the guitar tone.  Not too keen on the vocals, and some tracks sound a wee bit Mr. Big, but I've found some new Driveclub driving tunes.
  • TBF, barnsey is kinda treated like Vegemite. Badge of honour for Aussies and an acquired taste.
  • Over to reg shortly, anyone else Cold Chiselled this week?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have, will be in touch shortly. Also I have an album ready that I can't stop listening to.
  • The radio silence in here has been a bit disappointing.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've only listened briefly but those tracks are burned into my brain anyway.  Flame Trees, Saturday Night and Forever Now (would like that on RB4 for the opening riff) are still rated by me, Breakfast at Sweethearts I still like.  Khe Sanh deserves it's iconic status but has staled due to overexposure.  Flame Trees is their best I think.  They capture that rough, aimless Australian wistfulness as well or better than anyone.  Barnes could genuinely hold a tune at that stage and exercised restraint, see Flame Trees.  You could see how he lost that and any subtlety without Moss around for his solo career, Moss can writes songs.  Working Class Man can get fucked.  

I wasn't around in the early 80s pub scene (not consciously anyway) but I could imagine it based in the mood CC create.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    If I get in on this thing I'm thinking of continuing the Oz 80s theme with either The Triffids (Born Sandy Devotional) or The Go-Betweens (16 Lovers Lane).  Or maybe The Church.  Or The Saints.  Or some other band starting with The.
  • Facewon wrote:
    The radio silence in here has been a bit disappointing.

I'll return with a few thoughts once I can recall the names of the tunes. Have had it on whilst playing The Witness.

• Phew. Now I feel slightly better. Didn't want to be a momo about it, but also didn't know if there was any issues finding it, if I needed to sort dropbox to help.

Could have had a flounce too. Missed opportunity.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Sorry, when I read your announce post Face I got a bit confused about what I should be listening to and kind of forgot to come back (blame it on old age).

I can see why Google Play has lots of admirers but there's something about it that irks me.
  • Apologies. Have no idea what google play looks like if you're not signed up and follow one of my links. 

One link should have been direct link to the All for you greatest hits. Which should be on all sub services...

The other link was to a playlist I made of the earlier version of their greatest hits which had a slightly different tracklisting.

Both only really linked as I knew a couple of folks are on google play. I assumed everyone else would just search on their spotty/deezer/etc service.

(I tried to hide my waffle and youtube stuff behind spoilers so that folks didn't go in too informed.)

I asked earlier if folks had heard of them because it was a bit of a case of ubiquity for skezzer et al. A little like suggesting we listen to Queen's Greatest Hits. When there was seeming ignorance from UK badgers, I figured it was an experiment worth trying.
    Anyhoo, waffling.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sounds a bit Meatloafy, don't think I like it at all, but I'll listen a bit more. Not a fan of AOR style music, in general.

Or a bit Eaglesy maybe, but then I don't like the Eagles either.
  • These comparisons are kinda amazing me. has actually made the selection totes worthwhile. 

(Feel free to go back and read the bits I spoilered to see the reverence the band were held in, and how hard objectivity is for skezzer and myself.)

Don't know if I'd describe them as AOR, at all, although, in fairness, When the war is over and Choirgirl probably fit the mold. I guess. 

Khe Sanh, Star Hotel, you got nothing I want, etc, not at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure they were very revered, I just don't particularly like them. The few songs I've listened to so far definitely sounded AOR to me. Choirgirl is total Eagles.
  • I listened to Cold Chisel. Found it hard to believe they were ever popular in any territory tbh.

sorry Face, not for me

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just don't say that too loud in any Aussie country town pub G!

I've known these songs all my life so its hard to not see them that way. I'm also partial to drunken sing alongs if the mood strikes too.

I'll give this a proper listen though. For old times sake. But first will be to actually do Stophs playlist on my drive home. Totally forgot before!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!