The Transformers: The Thread
  • indigo wrote:
    I thought the IDW stuff was pretty good, particularly how it was set after the war.
    I didn't stick with the IDW stuff long after the first year or so. It all seemed a bit meandering and aimless story-arc wise. I'll give it another look to see if some of its more recent output appeals more.

Regarding the Dreamwave stuff: I'm just going off some negative online impressions I've encountered. Tbf I do remember being v.impressed by some of the artwork while perusing a DW TF graphic novel in a comic shop way back then.

Looking at the releases, most of the stuff I've read is from after they'd been doing it a while and I note at least one proper stinker in the early stuff. Like Byrne mentioned, More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise are things you should be looking at. I mean, any continuity where Arcee is an honest-to-god psychopath has to be worth a gander.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    After the first run of Gen 1 stuff the Dreamwave comics got absolutely panned. In some cases with good cause, but there was a lot of top stuff in there, too. Particularly the GI Joe cross-over. It was set in an alternate WWII and the Decepticon lieutenants were propeller driven fighters planes. Worth the price of admission alone.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Sounds promising, some sleuthing is in order.
  • I mentioned the soundtrack but didn't link it cause too busy wanking to Nothings Gonna Stand In Our Way.
  • Dunno if anyone else in here will get this, but it looks like I've just secured a V2 first mould Masterpiece Rodimus for £250. Fuck yeah!

ipqmiDQ.jpg?1
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    indigo wrote:
    Sounds promising, some sleuthing is in order.

Doooo iiiit.

Read:
    Anything G1. (The first six issue story arc is collected as 'Prime Directive'. Should be easier to track down than original issues.)
    The War Within. (Pre-G1 Cybertronian civil war.)
    Transformers/GI Joe. ("Transformers Vs GI Joe" is another series, not by Dreamwave.)

Avoid like the plague:
    Armada.
    Energon.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Dunno if anyone else in here will get this, but it looks like I've just secured a V2 first mould Masterpiece Rodimus for £250. Fuck yeah!

Very cool looking, but at £250 he better do the washing up and make me a sandwich on command.
  • They're really rare and the going price seems to be around £400.

Ironhide's on the way, too.
  • AJ wrote:
    Dunno if anyone else in here will get this, but it looks like I've just secured a V2 first mould Masterpiece Rodimus for £250. Fuck yeah! ipqmiDQ.jpg?1

I've got an MP Rodimus Convoy from when it was first released.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Dunno if anyone else in here will get this, but it looks like I've just secured a V2 first mould Masterpiece Rodimus for £250. Fuck yeah! ipqmiDQ.jpg?1
    I knew you had potential lad.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So does the OG cartoon hold up? Was thinking of showing it to my 4.5 year old. He's got a Bumblebee and Grimlock toy which he likes, and watched the Transformers: Rescue Bots cartoon which is aimed squarly at his age group with a firetruck, police car, hellicopter and bulldozer transformer.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I've not seen it for ages, but I'd guess it hasn't aged particularly well. The movie is still awesome, though.

I've not seen it, but I hear the Transformers Prime cartoon is pretty good.
  • Ah cool, I think he'd enjoy the movie and will check out Prime.
  • What is noticeable between cartoons of that era and now is how there is no underlying lesson of team work or helping people really.
    I wouldn't say they are more violent as they aren't actually super violent (He-Man never actually hits anyone) but the stories are all about battles, not rebuilding or aiding.

The reason shows of that era had those moral/safety messages at the end was to get them approved for kids TV as the content of the main show contains nothing educational or moral for kids. Now these things are written into the story.
  • Speaking of Rescue Bots, the cynic in me reckons that incarnation was invented solely for our generation to have something Transformers to show our kids.

Bought the RB Prime for my nephew a few months back. Turned out the 3+ age rating was right 'cause he immediately trapped his finger in it and started crying.

XqRRSRx.png
  • The result is each episode is quite formulaic.
    Bad guys hatch a plan to attack something.
    Good guys get wind of it and defend said thing.

In Transformers either the bad guy's plan or the good guy's way of stopping it nearly always involves a new toy to buy.

It holds up ok but is very repetitive.
  • Sounds about right. Seem to remember it being slightly better (at least, with regards to the plots) after the movie.

Anyway, how cool is the RB Bumblebee?

GH577Hi.jpg
  • Yeah he's pretty awesome.

They do a line of toys which are one step to transform; which is great. So Harry's Grimlock goes from t-rex to robot in one fluid motion.
  • Never really took to Rodimus but that figure does look great - except for what must be the most overtly phallic rifle in the history of TF.
  • The movie has aged really well imo.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    So does the OG cartoon hold up? Was thinking of showing it to my 4.5 year old.

Thinking about it, there's a series called Transformers Animated, which might suit better, though I've not heard whether it's any good or not.
  • Billy wrote:
    The movie has aged really well imo.

The fact it was animated by Toei (First of the North Star, Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Digimon, etc.) probably has something to do with it.
  • The Movie is awesome and will always remain so.
  • They also did the OG My Little Pony, which looked shit.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • They only helped out, as I understand, and the main company working on it was owned by the writer of Transformers. Or something like that.
  • Just finished transforming Rodimus Convoy and I'm exhausted, they should give you an award for getting through that or something. Respect where it's due to Chopper, especially with a v1's allegedly snapping shins and exploding shoulders.

In other news, Ironhide is rock solid, on the whole. Good transformation, solid figure, better head sculpt than the pictures suggest. He's, perhaps, too cartoon accurate; the chunky, solid legs have a slight dissonance with the minivan chest. It's a real shame they didn't fold the bumper away, too; it looks like there's room.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Pics, you fool. PICS.
  • I was tired and couldn't be arsed to take any. I might grab some stock ones for you later.
  • The Prime cartoon is a bit darker than I was expecting. There are zombies and people actually die. Bit of a step up from Rescue Bots!
  • What, actual people people, not robots? That's surprising. There's always Transformers Animated, which should be a bit lighter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!