Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Did you copy the link from a Google search or from the actual website?

Well I googled, clicked the link which opened the page so I could read that article, but then it still says Google.co.uk in the bar.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Following the link takes me to the page inside a Google "shell"? Very odd.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's an AMP page, most websites are serving things in AMP format as doing so will boost your search ranking. This looks to be a decent explainer (or at least it seemed to be up until the point that it started complaining at me for using an ad blocker).

https://www.wired.com/2016/02/googles-amp-speeding-web-changing-works/
  • I fucking hate that. Fuck Google.
  • So, he hasn't built a wall, he hasn't banned Muslims, he hasn't repealed Obama care, he hasn't become more isolationist and he hasn't defeated ISIS. Is there any promises he has kept?
    He'll probably manage the tax cuts.

• Mar a lago doesnt fund itself
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Even after he doubled the price since becoming president.

Well sorry not him obviously, cos he no longer knows what businesses he owns. And that would be a bit corrupt in terms of taking advantage of being in office. So coincidence really.
  • Every other day I remember that the Americans voted this goon into Presidency:

0tV-xF.gif

And then I laugh, then roll my eyes, then sigh. Grabbin' a country by the pussy and they're letting him, cos he's rich and famous.
  • Every superpower is run by cunts with veto power at the UN to ensure human rights remain violated elsewhere.

The third iteration of the league of nations must be headed by non-superpowers. I nominate Timor Leste, Ecuador, Iceland, Haiti, New Zealand and Madagascar.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

Not working where you are? Pro tip, copy the link and replace 'youtube', in the URL with 'youpak', for EPIC win.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not that it's the most important thing... Apparently, Trump's rounding up the senate to discuss his plans for North Korea.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are flashing a new aircraft carrier, and both the Russians and Chinese are moving troops to their far eastern borders...

Just in case...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Vela wrote:
    Every superpower is run by cunts with veto power at the UN to ensure human rights remain violated elsewhere. The third iteration of the league of nations must be headed by non-superpowers. I nominate Timor Leste, Ecuador, Iceland, Haiti, New Zealand and Madagascar.

FIFA shows this is a bad idea.
  • Vela wrote:
    Every superpower is run by cunts with veto power at the UN to ensure human rights remain violated elsewhere. The third iteration of the league of nations must be headed by non-superpowers. I nominate Timor Leste, Ecuador, Iceland, Haiti, New Zealand and Madagascar.
    FIFA shows this is a bad idea.

So AI then?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A series of benign geniuses who take the reigns of an autarky for seven years at a time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I don't care who runs the show but they should be given the sole purpose of getting us to the Culture stage of civilisation asap.
  • 'Beyond satire' is becoming the phrase of the month.  But feck me.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    'Beyond satire' is becoming the phrase of the month.  But feck me.
    You can pick almost any action, opinion or thing that he's done on the last 100 days and find him saying the exact opposite at some point in the preceding 2-3 years.

#MAGA's don't care though.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Ooh, Tasteh! The Steele mi6 dossier keeps haunting Trump.....
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/28/trump-russia-intelligence-uk-government-m16-kremlin

It's a genius plan. what could possibly go wrong!!!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Some of the reasons why the new populist right (Trump&Bannon, Le Pen, Wilders et al) 'adore' Putin and view him as the embodiment of the new Right:

1. Putin is a hard-line rightwing nationalist
    2. Putin is a very successful businessman
    3. Putin is filthy rich
    4. Putin has total political power in Russia
    5. Putin controls all of the Russian media, on- and offline and isn't afraid to use propaganda and 'alternative facts' if and when it suits his purpose. He's been doing this way before Trump.
    6. Putin has been able to keep himself relevant and in power for almost 20 years pulling the strings behind the scenes.
    7. His political position is THE perfect place to be for a rightwing businessman in order to accumulate even more wealth and money. It's the perfect system for the neo rightwing elite.
    8. He's like a ruthless rogue Russian James Bond. Or a charismatic Bond-like villain. No doubt in my mind Ian Flemming would've loved Putin. Whatever the case the people and populist right adore him. His system looks like a democracy when in fact it really isn't anymore.

Basically Trump is trying to mimic Putin and is testing the US system of checks and balances to see how far it can stretch. Wouldn't surprise me if Trump accepted a little help from Putin to win the election. They are fellow rightwingers afterall in the new global hierarchy of the 21st century. Which would also explain Trump's insistence on the irrelevancy of post ww2 institutions like EU and NATO. Right above All?
  • It's the bare-chested horse riding really though right?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But he's not done a bad job has he? The average Russian on the street is a lot better off than they were 20 years ago

Also he has spent a long time attacking the new right, so I'm not sure that there's a huge love-in for him, but if there is nowadays, then fair play

He's put the interests of his country first, maybe that's right wing, maybe that's his job
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @Workid
    It's really manly! If I had a horse I would do it all day everyday.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    But he's not done a bad job has he? The average Russian on the street is a lot better off than they were 20 years ago

Also he has spent a long time attacking the new right, so I'm not sure that there's a huge love-in for him, but if there is nowadays, then fair play

No, Putin is the real deal and the rightful heir to the throne of the New right. All the others are pretenders and will get Po poisoning if they dare oppose.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

He's put the interests of his country first, maybe that's right wing, maybe that's his job

He's put his interest and those of his friends first.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Maybe so, but was that to the benefit or detriment of the nation as a hole, it's citizens, economy, world standing etc?

Maybe it's propped up by nationalistic tubthumping like the incursion into Crimea a couple of years ago, or the Winter Olympics and World Cup bids but his approval figures are regularly through the roof. If it was that terrible there you'd see the brain drain that you used to. Time was that if you saw a Russian abroad they were an academic, now you're more likely to see them on holiday. I'm not Russian and the only ones I know live here, but they all paint a moderately happy picture of the place
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Presumably not many of them are gay.

But yes, Putin does appear to crack down pretty hard on any public dissent, so the lack of criticism may not necessarily be entirely down to public satisfaction.
  • It depends on what you're willing to give up Cocko. Russia is a bit like China atm. Population's disposable income is on the rise and there's quite a bit of freedom within limits. As long as you don't upset Putin's government with inflammatory critique you should be fine. Press is mostly government regulated too, can't have fake news from opponents operating freely now can you?

The question is are you okay with a totalitarian government? Because that is the model the new right is oh so adoring right now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!