Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Doesn't seem fair to compare Russia to anywhere else other than Russia, which it sounds like what these stupid new-right numpties are doing, models aren't interchangable due to the completely different starting points. I'm just trying to compare Russia today to Russia twenty years ago, and in that period under Putin's lead they've made massive improvements to the quality of life for many many of their subjects

The only problem with a totalitarian regime is the dictator themselves, we all think that certain systems could work if people aren't dickheads, but that fails to see that people are dickheads. Not always but enough of the time to fuck shit up and prevent any utopia. Machiavelli said it pretty well 
    the way man lives is so different from the way he ought, that modelling policy of what should be rather than what exists leads to the politicians downfall

If any political body is holding admiration for totalitarian regimes it's either due to greed or charity, unfortunately it's not difficult to see which is the motivating factor in so much of the west
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Your democratic freedom model is doing you all a lot of good at the moment, isn't it?
  • Nobody is denying what Putin has done for Russia. Noone is denying what the Communist Party has done for the PRC. But is trying to mimic their style of rule the best we can come up with in the west? Are you really willing to give up your freedom of speech Cocko?

Greed is definitely the human trait motivating people, east and west.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    It depends on what you're willing to give up Cocko. Russia is a bit like China atm. Population's disposable income is on the rise and there's quite a bit of freedom within limits. As long as you don't upset Putin's government with inflammatory critique you should be fine. Press is mostly government regulated too, can't have fake news from opponents operating freely now can you?

The question is are you okay with a totalitarian government? Because that is the model the new right is oh so adoring right now.

Disposable income fell 10% in 2015. I don't know the 2016 figures. If the price of oil remains low or falls then Russian cash reserves will run out this year. That's when the pinch will be felt.
  • That's when Putin will play his 'Trump' card no doubt.
    *ahem*
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Nobody is denying what Putin has done for Russia. Noone is denying what the Communist Party has done for the PRC. But is trying to mimic their style of rule the best we can come up with in the west? Are you really willing to give up your freedom of speech Cocko? Greed is definitely the human trait motivating people, east and west.

I'm not ready to give anything up right now, was just thinking that firstly there's no way he should be demonised, and secondly that anyone who thinks they can emulate him is pretty much fucked, because many in Russia didn't have to give up anything, as many of those freedoms had not been afforded to them at any point in modern history

Also didn't mean to imply that Putin was holding onto power for charitable purposes, greed is prevalent all over the place, just that power is hard work, holding onto it so long and still serving your citizens isn't bad going at all. If his position was purely to hoard wealth he would have retired many many years ago
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Very few people accumulate wealth for the sake of it. It's almost exclusively a way for them to gain power and leverage.
  • How do you establish how much he is serving his citizens?

Because it's rare to see news about Russia going beyond st basil's cathedral.

Also given the things one has to do become dominant in a near dictatorship it is probably not a safe space to exist anywhere but the top.
  • Not demonizing Putin or Russia at all.
    Just analysing stuff as to why Trump is mimicking Putin to a tee in so many regards.
    The answer to that is relatively simple: In the eyes of the Western conservative far right Putin has devised the ideal post cold-war, right wing government. The system just works, all you have to do is sacrifice your freedom of speech and free press all for the sake of authority. Rich people benefit the most of course hence those obscenely rich Russians (Party like a Russian?) but the little people won't be left behind. Mostly....
    Just don't expect them to be able to climb up the oligarch ladder.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    How do you establish how much he is serving his citizens?

Because Russians nowadays holiday in places other than the Black Sea, the fact that the brain drain is nowhere near as pronounced as it was before the wall came down, and the fact that I don't see images of people queueing round the block for cabbages. Because during the eighties that was what we saw and heard about USSR
  • Didn't life expectancy dip hard in Russia for like 20 years.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm going to St Petersburg in a couple of weeks. I'll report back maybe.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Not demonizing Putin or Russia at all.
    Just analysing stuff as to why Trump is mimicking Putin to a tee in so many regards.
    The answer to that is: Putin has devised the ideal post cold war Right wing government. The system just works, all you have to do is give up your freedom of speech and free press. Rich people benefit the most of course hence those obscenely rich Russians (Party like a Russian?) but the little people won't be left behind. Mostly....
    Just don't expect them to be able to climb up the oligarch ladder.

Average monthly wages fell 9.5% in 2015 and 8% in 2016. Poverty levels have increased from a low of 10% in 2012 to 15% in 2016 so it would appear the little people are being left behind.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

Because Russians nowadays holiday in places other than the Black Sea, the fact that the brain drain is nowhere near as pronounced as it was before the wall came down, and the fact that I don't see images of people queueing round the block for cabbages. Because during the eighties that was what we saw and heard about USSR

Surely most of this was down to the dissolution of the USSR which predates Putin.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Average monthly wages fell 9.5% in 2015 and 8% in 2016. Poverty levels have increased from a low of 10% in 2012 to 15% in 2016 so it would appear the little people are being left behind.

Interesting, would imagine that's tied to global oil prices dropping in recent years, oil is pretty much their biggest export

Those poverty figures increasing could well help to explain why the Ukraine invasion etc, as he aims to divert the publics attention away from falling wealth/living standards
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, expect more aggression this year for similar reasons.
  • cockbeard wrote:

We've moved on since the cold war ended.
    Russia isn't the communist enemy it once was. It's now a reasonably successful state with a thriving economy run by a conservative, far rightwing government. A shining example of how right wing politics can be implemented. And you can bet your arses the western populist far-right has been paying attention. Which explains Trump's adoration of Putin.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They kind of are still the enemy though. Look at all the NATO force build up in Eastern Europe.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A cynic might think that's as much a marketing exercise to the former Eastern Bloc as a reaction to any genuine or perceived military threat
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would say more a reassurance exercise against what has been perceived as a credible, if unlikely, threat.
  • Russia is unusual in that after the Cold War it managed to keep a lot of wealth in the country. Elsewhere in Eastern Europe, as capitalism replaced communism, previously state owned assets were bought up by western corporations, but Russia didn't managed to keep them out and instead its assets were divided up amongst its own elites. The form of capitalism that emerged is as corrupt and unequal as anywhere else, if not more so, which leaves a lot of people suspicious of the elite and foreign powers, and nostalgic for the Russian nation as a great power. 

Putin then represents a strong man who is traditional and nationalistic, and stands up (apparently) against the elite and foreign influence. The economy doesn't need to be great for him to maintain his approval, because problems are easily blamed on others, while cracking down on civil liberties can be seen as a way to keep out western cultural influences (such as homosexuality).

While the conditions in Russia are unique, and make it easier to maintain this sort of government, the same basic approach is that being applied by Trump, Le Pen, Erdogan etc. That is, fascism.
  • Agreed, all of the populist new right is leaning towards embracing authoritarian rule, almost fascist. Trump hasn't yet mobilised his goons for fighting political opposition but we know they're there at the ready (hello neo nazi's). It's amazing how Trump has marginalised the free press with just two words: fake news. And his followers gleefully accept it as necessary truth.

The thing is the mainstream press is a bit slow to pick up on linking the new populist right, Trump and Putin's Russia as discussed in posts above. Everyone's afraid of being ridiculed to make the connection even though it is an obvious one. All of the press is soo outraged by Trump and what he's saying that they forget there's a precursor to his calculated madness.

And that's without even mentioning Trump's other Putin-Russia ties...
  • It's endearing how he thinks he can reach those poor confused kids by engaging with them online. And yeah, Trump's background and outrageous behaviour makes him almost an irl caricature of the typical alt right poster. 'Hey, that dude is us when we get older lulz!'
    '1+ vote'.
  • Yossarian wrote:

After reading this three times, I'm still not sure I understand it:
    It means knowing that alt-right trolls will often talk about drinking milk because of their claim that African-Americans are genetically predisposed to lactose intolerance; they think, therefore, that by drinking milk publicly, or talking about milk, they will trigger anti-fascists.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    It's endearing how he thinks he can reach those poor confused kids by engaging with them online.

I don't think he's under the illusion that you can reach all of them, but surely it's possible to reach some of them.

Even if it isn't, he does suggest other reasons for engaging.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It's endearing how he thinks he can reach those poor confused kids by engaging with them online.
    I don't think he's under the illusion that you can reach all of them, but surely it's possible to reach some of them. Even if it isn't, he does suggest other reasons for engaging.
    He's an attorney and professor, it's in his nature to engage with young people so I am not surprised. Engaging with the alt right is commendable but I suspect it's not for everyone, certainly not for the impatient. Good read tho and he seems like a decent chap. He actually did some research into the alt right as an internet sub culture, trying to understand their motives and beliefs. That's a good place to start when trying to reach out.
  • Why are people still remotely interested in fucking 4chan, a marginal symptom of late capitalist slumping.

Watch the olds.
  • Right, back to my previous points.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    NEW: President Trump says of decades-old Israeli-Palestinian conflict: "Frankly, maybe not as difficult as people have thought."

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/859822604328345601

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!