Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Wot I thunk:

Trump's going to war sooner or later. Together with Bannon he is going after Isis. It's a war they cannot win of course.
    They follow a similar ideology to Geert Wilders in the Netherlands who believes extremist islam to be the definitive version of Islam. This islam is incompatible with western culture and our civilisations will eventually clash in a great cataclysmic and glorious war. Of course in Trump's and Bannon's vision the West will win ('cos white superiority, lol)) and to the victor the spoils: oil! And we all know how cozy Trump is with the oil industry.

The ? is, can a senseless ideologic war like this escalate into something bigger? World War 3 would be a worst case scenario nobody wants to happen. Only thing that could stop the inevitable Bannon/Trump bandwagon o' war is congress and the Republicans turning on Trump. Hopefully sooner rather than later as the outlook on Trump's presidential reign is looking exceedingly grimm even after just one month.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Isis?

I'd watch the fallout of the freeze between Malaysia (a close American ally) and North Korea very closely.

An application of VX in the wild?

The problems in Iraq were kicked off for much less. It would also draw China into a strong decision very quickly.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    South China Sea will be the place they start a barny I reckon.
  • I keep meaning to track down Pilger's latest, The Coming War on China.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    South China Sea will be the place they start a barny I reckon.

Yarr... The supposed oil.

But whoever is stupid enough to poke China will need a pretext first.
    There's no way any power on Earth can displace an entity as vast as China with force alone.

In using North Korea as subterfuge, any countr... Let's be honest, the Yanks... would be able to draw at least some form of support from most of the neighbouring Asian countries.

Also, better Malaysia, than using South Korea as a 'beachead' to the region, surely.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Man. I'm rambling.

But this Kim Jong-nam story is very weird. Especially as it's came so soon after those missile tests, which was a big enough story itself.

Some George Smiley shit going off over there...
  • Surely Trump's not stupid enough risking an escalating war with a nuclear superpower? China is therefore unlikely methinks.
    Iraq is still prime target for Trump and cronies.
    The N-Korean thing they'll leave to the chinese to solve. Nothing of business interest there for the US.
  • hunk wrote:
    Surely Trump's not stupid enough risking an escalating war with a nuclear superpower? China is therefore unlikely methinks.
    The N-Korean thing they'll leave to the chinese to solve. Nothing of business interest there for the US.

Trump is astonishingly thick. I'm not ruling out anything.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Surely Trump's not stupid enough risking an escalating war with a nuclear superpower? China is therefore unlikely methinks.

They managed to have a ton of wars with the Soviet Union without ever going to war with them, so I'm sure they can find a way if they want too. Plenty of pretext there to what with the Chinese expansion in the region.
  • Chinese expansion isn't really much compared to US satellites popping up throughout the region, circling (threatening) China though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not saying it's justified, but it will be used as justification.
  • I feel like a war in east Asia would be a really tough sell to the American public, even Trump supporters.
    The narrative at the moment is "fear the muzzers".
    Trump is a quick fix, show of power kind of guy, he won't want a long extended war with North Korea when he could drop a bomb on the pre-established villains.
    He won't drop it in Syria because the Russians will kick off.
    If the Iraqi army fail in capturing Mosul I could see him glassing the place. He will declare ISIS defeated by his hand, he did what Obama couldn't.
  • I don't think conventional war is being discussed here, not with China anyway. Economic and soft aggression, yes.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Potentially proxy wars to.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Send in the whiteshirts.

Wait.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I don't think conventional war is being discussed here, not with China anyway. Economic and soft aggression, yes.

All negotiation with the US atm is economic and soft agression. It's Trump's way of getting the best deals.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I don't think conventional war is being discussed here, not with China anyway. Economic and soft aggression, yes.

Don't America currently owe China billions and billions though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • About a trillion aye, not going to stop them placing bases around 'em.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Don't America currently owe China billions and billions though

It's over $1.2 trillion, which makes then the largest foreign holder of American debt behind the Federal Reserve and SSTC, as far as I'm aware. The importance of holding American debt as a way to leverage compliance from them is overstated though - what the fuck are you gonna do with it? Dump it?

It's a way of propping up their economy and thus maintaining the strength of the dollar, whilst perhaps getting favourable trade terms, nothing more. It's the same reason Japan has traditionally held a load.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would say China are more compromised than the US with that amount of debt on the table. Couldn't America just refuse to, or stall on, making payments if China don't tow the line.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    See, me, I'd just repossess the place

That's pretty much the way the world works isn't it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I would say China are more compromised than the US with that amount of debt on the table. Couldn't America just refuse to, or stall on, making payments if China don't tow the line.

It's a massive issue aye, but it doesn't benefit either country to play chicken with US debt - as it would either damage favourable exchange rates for China / Japan etc. or negatively influence the face that American debt is still seen as incredibly "safe". So, despite the supposed power it gives the two countries, depending on how you look at it, it is just gonna sit there with a thumb up its arse for now.

I'm no expert, mind, that's just how I read it.
    cockbeard wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I would say China are more compromised than the US with that amount of debt on the table. Couldn't America just refuse to, or stall on, making payments if China don't tow the line.

It's a massive issue aye, but it doesn't benefit either country to play chicken with US debt - as it would either damage favourable exchange rates for China / Japan etc. or negatively influence the face that American debt is still seen as incredibly "safe". So, despite the supposed power it gives the two countries, depending on how you look at it, it is just gonna sit there with a thumb up its arse for now.

I'm no expert, mind, that's just how I read it.
    cockbeard wrote:

Yeah, good luck with that.

That seems like a sound reading. If America could somehow engineer a casus belli then they might use that as the hook to hang the unpaid debt on. Especially if their economy starts tanking in the near future.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If I don't pay a mortgage I lose my house

Seems that all the land in the USA is worth $23 trillion linky

So the debt (1.2 trillion) is 5% or 491000 sq km

California and Indiana should cover it
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    If I don't pay a mortgage I lose my house

Seems that all the land in the USA is worth $23 trillion linky

So the debt (1.2 trillion) is 5% or 491000 sq km

California and Indiana should cover it

It's unsecured debt. Plus the home owner has the strongest most advanced military forces that have ever existed.
  • What happens if the Chinese did start dumping the debt onto the market. Doesn't that sort of signal of a lack of confidence crash everything. Not that that would be a good thing, but I suspect that the West would handle that sort of shock worse than the Chinese and Russians.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Depends who buys the debt and at what price.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • These worst case scenario's are fucking scary.
    Who would've thunk just 3 months ago?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    What happens if the Chinese did start dumping the debt onto the market. Doesn't that sort of signal of a lack of confidence crash everything. Not that that would be a good thing, but I suspect that the West would handle that sort of shock worse than the Chinese and Russians.

Well that's why Putin nationalised the bank wasn't it, so as to insulate it somewhat from the global economy
  • That's some expert-level trolling if a protester was handing out the "Trump" Russian flags to real trump supporters lol

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/24/14725950/russian-flag-cpac

C5cMi-BUsAEh1K9.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!