Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's worth to remember Rand died dirt poor and was so ashamed to claim benefit cheques for her medical bills she used a fake name.
  • Oh the irony.....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Putin, to whatever extent he's actually involved in all of this, got stuck in for the lulz and in order to try and create a situation that he and Russia can take advantage of. I don't think Putin gives two shits about anything beyond extending his own power and influence.

I agree with this. I think one way he sees to increase his power and influence is to reduce that of his competitors.

He's done that to the EU with Brexit, he's done that to NATO by getting Trump in. He's reduced the USA influence globally by getting Trump in. He tried to further reduce the stability of the EU by funding far right campaigning across Europe, including most recently in France. And he's done it in the middle east by causing instability there because he knows he can influence US foreign policy if he can get the right fake news story into the right place to fool trump.
  • Putin is a very devious  and cunning man. Trump is in way over his head with him.
    There's a documentary of Oliver Stone on Putin coming up soon.
    Don't expect Putin to show his hand though, he's probably just curious and percieves Stone to be a useful PR tool.
    Plus it's always nice to have your ego stroked by having a famous hollywood director over showing intrest in you.
  • hunk wrote:
    There's a documentary by Oliver Stone on Putin coming up soon. .

Starts tonight on Sky Atlantic. Simulcast with the US showings of each episode. Big write up from Yoss’s people here.
  • Aye, tnx for the heads up!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, don't expect that to be in any way balanced. Oliver Stone apparently fawns over putin.
  • BBC

Puerto Rico votes in referendum to become US state
    12 June 2017

The US territory of Puerto Rico has voted to ask Congress to make it America's 51st state.
    More than 97% of voters favoured attempting to join the US over becoming independent or remaining a self-governing territory.

However, just 23% of the electorate turned up to cast their ballot amid an opposition boycott, and its results are non-binding.
    The final decision is also not in their hands but up to Congress.

It did not act on the previous referendum's result, which was the first time ever a majority of valid votes were cast for statehood in the former Spanish colony.

Close to 30% of all voters in that election cast blank or invalid ballots, a situation which generated doubts about the vote's political legitimacy.

The 2017 referendum was called by the government of the island against a background of economic crisis, which some attribute at least partially to Puerto Rico's unusual legal status, halfway between independence and full statehood.

There were protests against the vote to become the 51st state
    Why was a new referendum called?

The current governor of Puerto Rico, Ricardo ("Ricky") Rossello, who was sworn in on 2 January, campaigned on a promise of seeking full statehood for the island, which he says is needed to solve the current economic recession affecting Puerto Rico, the worst in decades.

The economic crisis has led to large government deficits, a severe cutback in public services, an increase in local utility rates and sales taxes as well as ongoing protests against local and federal authorities, which are expected to continue.
    How could becoming a US state help Puerto Rico solve its financial problems?

The island's government says it cannot meet all of its $72bn (£56bn) debt obligations. Statehood advocates point out that while US laws have allowed other heavily indebted US local governments to seek bankruptcy protection, Puerto Rico has fewer means of legal defence because it is not a US state.

Proponents of statehood also argue that if it became fully integrated into the Union, Puerto Rico would receive more federal spending to reactivate the economy, which currently has an unemployment rate close to 12%.

How did Puerto Rico get into such a mess?
    How would everyday life change if the island became a US state?

All Puerto Ricans are already US citizens, with unrestricted rights to settle on the US mainland. But if they obtained statehood, Puerto Ricans living on the island would for the first time be able to vote in US presidential elections, and would elect lawmakers with the right to vote in the US Congress.

Puerto Ricans would also become eligible for the full welfare benefits currently available to US citizens living in the 50 states.

On the other hand, Puerto Ricans on the island would have to start paying full federal income taxes. They currently do not pay US income taxes on earnings obtained on the island.

What happens next?
    Few expect current US lawmakers to be very enthusiastic about eventual statehood for Puerto Rico.

A man signs a voting list before casting his ballot
    One big reason is that the Republican-controlled US Congress might be wary of a move that could erode their majority in both houses by allowing the Democratic-leaning Puerto Rican electorate to choose two new senators and several members of the House of Representatives.

Also, granting Puerto Rico statehood would lead to greater federal spending on the island, which could prove unpopular at a time when the Republican majority in Congress is calling for sweeping spending cuts.

Puerto Rico would be the poorest state in the Union, with many of its residents becoming eligible for greater federal welfare payments.

• I like to be in America
  • We Rollin', Trollin'.......

On a more serious note, I wasn't the first to connect the Randian dots.
    The washington post was on to the Trump admin quite early
  • Have you only just heard about Rand or something?
  • I don't really understand Hunk's angle either, no shit Sherlock doesn't quite capture it.
  • In further news, rich people like money.
  • Shall we do an intervention?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't think we'll stop rich people liking money, TBH.
  • Yeah ring up Putin, he's great at those.
  • Jeez, tough crowd.
    Waiting on Sessions then.
  • "Nyet comrade, do not be vorryink about your tea, it is supposed to be glowink like zat. Da, da, drink comrade"
  • hunk wrote:
    Jeez, tough crowd. Waiting on Sessions then.

Mate, go to your profile and look at recent comments, you need a hobby dude.
  • I post here for shits and giggles mate.
    If you don't like it ignore me.
  • Aye, hunk isn't doing any harm here. Let him be, chaps.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah, stop fucking badgering me cunts.
  • You're right, ofc. Just trying to say Hunk, mate, don't fret too much about it; stand back and watch the shit go down like the rest of us.
  • Not fretting just discussing and analysing news. For fun.

No offense taken, this is the bear and badger and I can handle criticism.
    If my posts annoy just ignore them. Or drop me a pm and ask me kindly to shut up. Or turn off your mobile/computer and fuck off.
    Or whatever....
  • hunk wrote:
    Yeah, stop fucking badgering me cunts.

Ok, I'll bear with you.
  • I love you too Dante.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I don't really understand Hunk's angle either, no shit Sherlock doesn't quite capture it.

It's not actively being covered in the fake msm so it's defintely a point not everyone's aware of. Don't be arsey Brooksy.
  • Seriously dude, Republicans having a hard-on for Rand's Objectivism is a Well-Known-Thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!