Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Other states will have a rather less Ruplican-leaning startibg point. I'd imagine Alabama was one of the worst?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, it's Alabama, not some level playing field.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fair points. Still, a good result. There is hope for democracy yet.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hard to confidently extrapolate to the mid terms. But if there's any iind of swing then Republican majorities get lost. Could this even expedite impeachment if the party view Trump as damaging their hopes?
  • Do rats abandon sinking ships?
  • That a racist, homophobic paedophile who's mistrustful of the concept of evolution got such a share of the vote shows what a fucked up country it is. Still, good news I guess.

I await Trump's twitter meltdown over this with glee, he's only issued a (clearly written by some flunkey) polite congratulations tweet to Jones so far. We know that level of magnanimous dignity won't last very long.
  • It's a massive relief that he won, but shows how divided the country is. No matter what the allegations against the candidate were, Republicans still voted for him because he was Republican. It's not a good place to be.

Still, tightens the gap in the Senate, and makes it more difficult for them to pass controversial legislation.
  • There's hope for the US yet.
    Let's hope this shift continues with next year's mid term elections.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I’ve no source for this, so can’t vouch for it’s veracity. Seen it a lot this morning though. If true, it’s a pretty sobering reading of the voter data.

DQ5fBvnWkAIeei7.jpg
  • The Americans have very strange voting habits, largely caused by the two party system.

The Dem win won't have been through many people changing their minds on party but people refusing to vote at all if normally Rep. It means it could quite easily swing back next time with a more agreeable (not exactly hard) candidate.

So yes, well done that small sector of Alabama for having the decency to stay home rather than vote for a kiddy fiddler. A low bar of expectation.

Those that did vote for him are mostly brain washed by "fake news", a convenient little mental device that can allow people to back horrible fucks and still pretend they are god loving, picket fence, apple pie patriots.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ve no source for this, so can’t vouch for it’s veracity. Seen it a lot this morning though. If true, it’s a pretty sobering reading of the voter data. DQ5fBvnWkAIeei7.jpg

The Guardian has a very similar one, which is from an exit poll, so it seems legit.
  • ... Those that did vote for him are mostly brain washed by "fake news", a convenient little mental device that can allow people to back horrible fucks and still pretend they are god loving, picket fence, apple pie patriots.
    "Like, Obama's a Kenyan and the Clintons run a paedo-ring from a pizza place, cos I seen it on twitter, but all them bitches sayin' Moore's a paedo are lyin' hoes! And the ex-policeman and deputy district attorneys and all the others that say Moore's a paedo are lying' motherfuckers too! And what's wrong with shagging teens anyhows? It's in that thar BIBLE!"
  • poprock wrote:
    I’ve no source for this, so can’t vouch for it’s veracity. Seen it a lot this morning though. If true, it’s a pretty sobering reading of the voter data. DQ5fBvnWkAIeei7.jpg
    The Guardian has a very similar one, which is from an exit poll, so it seems legit.
    Sooooo, we're looking at Race Riots in Alabama for the next few years then?
  • It’s easy to simplify down to stereotypes of redneck stupidity, but the reality is that Alabama is a fucking huge place with a varied population mix. What I do think happens a lot is blind following of ‘the party’. You wouldn’t be surprised to hear people talking about how “This here is a Republican town, son.” … regardless of the current candidate. The GOP could nominate a houseplant and still be in with a chance.
  • Yeah the sports analogy is sadly the most apposite one with all thing Yank politics a lot of the time.

I give money to the DSA now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Sooooo, we're looking at Race Riots in Alabama for the next few years then?

Apparently the voter turnout from minority (or non white, not sure if minority is still accurate?) was greater than both 2008 and 2012 when Obama was running. If that level of engagement from minority voters is replicated next year 2018 could be very difficult for the Republicans.
  • Following the defeat, Roy Moore has announced he will retire from politics so he can spend time with other peoples children.
  • What kind of bell end rides a horse to the biggest national news event of the week then complains about the cameras scaring the horse?
  • Another week, another instance of whole arseholes shitting on everyone else (Net Neutrality stuff).

Murder.
  • It does genuinely feel like these people only exist to make the world a shittier place for the rest of us.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Another week, another instance of whole arseholes shitting on everyone else (Net Neutrality stuff).

Murder.

Net Neutrality is only really significant in America though isn't it? It just prevents ISPs from throttling certain services and prioritising others doesn't it? In the UK ISPs can do what they want (throttle torents/high usage services) but in the UK at least you can switch to an ISP you want. I the USA lots of people only have 1 or 2 options as the telecoms companies own the lines, and they don't let competitors use them.
  • Insofar as it's significant for the Empire it's significant for all the tributaries, unfortunately.
  • Aye, what Brooks said.

On top of the majority of our major online services coming from the States (Netflix, YouTube, Google …) and thus having their pricing and future success controlled by this, a huge amount of the world will follow America’s lead on Internet legislation. They’re seen as the global thought leaders on this stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I thought that was Skerret?
  • The EU is actually pretty strong on this, and I doubt they are minded to follow the US into this insanity.

No doubt our Tory overlords will be happy to however.
  • Aye, one of the reasons Tories are so fond of Brexit is that they want to give control of our media and communications freedoms to the highest bidders, just like their American sugar daddies are trying to. Anything to turn a quick private profit.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We don't have net neutrality in the UK do we? Plus we can switch to one of dozens of ISPs, at least one of which will promise not to throttle any service because it would be a good selling point.

It's shit for those in the US, but I'm not concerned it will have an impact over here.
  • We do enjoy a level of net neutrality here at the moment, thanks to EU regulations on open Internet access.

We need to make sure those are carried over into British law post-Brexit. We’ve no guarantee they will be.

We’re lucky in that even in the worst-case scenarios, our ISP market is more openly competitive which means we’re less likely to be affected really badly. But remember how much of a practical monopoly BT enjoy … how many ISPs services come via BT lines … and you can see danger over here too. 

We’re beginning to see anti-neutrality issues in the UK where specific web services are bundled as ‘free data’ with phone contracts. Free use of WhatsApp with your Virgin Mobile contract. Free Apple Music with EE. Free Netflix with your Virgin TV package. That sort of thing sounds great, but it gives the service an advantage over any future competitors and, theoretically, stifles innovation in that area. Whether that’s a fair or unfair advantage is open for debate.

The bigger picture concern is over ISPs choosing to take kickbacks and introduce speed controls. What if your ISP allowed Amazon Prime to stream faster than Netflix? It would control your choice of service and control where you spend your money. At its most sinister, this can be used to influence news bias and win elections.
  • Remember how I mentioned earlier post Brexit the economy would probably tank and the UK's assets cheap as chips up for grabs for the UK's oligarchs who funded Leave? Internet infrastructure is one of those assets...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yarp.

Just imagine: The Bear & Badger runs slow as a lame dog, but Facebook gets to download at high speed. Thanks Brexit profiteers!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!