Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Oh god, forgot all about Putin's propaganda stunts.
    And I thought Leni Riefenstahl's stuff was bizarre. Trump comes close too on the weirdo meter.

It's hard to believe people fall for that shit.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Russian disinformation campaigns are very good though, really well crafted, until they're not. They made a real fuck up with the skripal case and lost a huge amount of face with that. The GRU will have taken a battering over that and its exposed them internationally as "not being anywhere near as amazing and untouchable as we thought" to a lot of western intelligence agencies.

I think if it wasn't for the fact that trump was in power they would have faced much more severe repercussions.

They're still upto their bullshit though. I've little doubt that causes like the alt right, brexit, catalonian independence, and probably Scottish independence if that debate seriously gets going again, and championed by the likes of Tommy Robinson, Peter Sweden, Geert Wilders, Nigel Farage and Steve Banon are hugely amplified and the flames stoked by Russian operations.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't worry guys, Caitlin Jenner has withdrawn her support for Trump.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45987123
  • If only there had been overwhelming evidence supporting him was a terrible idea.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It was an easy mistake for a transgender rights activist to make to be fair to her.
  • This seems to be a genuine press statement from the White House today. I can’t really tell what’s real any more. Fuck it all.

DqcJTaOVYAAMsBs.jpg
  • That's one of the purposes of fake news campaigns. Numbing people down until they become apathethic to the world around them.

Other goals are drowning out the truth and showing the opposition YOU are in control of the narrative, not them. It doesn't even matter how absurd the propaganda claims are.

Propaganda/psychological warfare 101.
  • You’re right, and it’s been that way since the year dot.

I think what’s new this time around is Trump et al blanket bombing us with idiocy until we lose interest. Prior to them, it’s always been about controlling the narrative through smart (if false) messaging … whereas this really is about just talking and talking and talking until you stop listening. Dadaist politics.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Someone find that bit from whichever Adam Curtis documentary it was that talked about the Putin adviser from the world of avant-garde theatre who came up with this stuff.
  • To be fair, I switch off when avant-garde theatre is happening too. It works.
  • So no surprise then that this bomber dude was a Trump loving nutter, rather than a "leftist" trying to paint Trump supporting nutters as nutters.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Someone find that bit from whichever Adam Curtis documentary it was that talked about the Putin adviser from the world of avant-garde theatre who came up with this stuff.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    So no surprise then that this bomber dude was a Trump loving nutter, rather than a "leftist" trying to paint Trump supporting nutters as nutters.

I am shocked. Shocked!

And ta Rouj. I presume, not watched it yet.
  • That video is from 2014?
    Fuck me, that is some incredible analysis and accurate foresight. Sums up my thoughts on the current fake news phenomenon to a tee.
  • hunk wrote:
    That video is from 2014? Fuck me, that is some incredible analysis and accurate foresight. Sums up my thoughts on the current fake news phenomenon to a tee.

It's older than that - certainly much of it was part of the Adam Curtis Vs Massive Attack thing in 2013.  I think about it every single time we get another insane bit of news.
  • It was an easy mistake for a transgender rights activist to make to be fair to her.

?

I'm probably being an idiot.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    It was an easy mistake for a transgender rights activist to make to be fair to her.

?

I'm probably being an idiot.

It's an awkward one because a person who identified as transgender can be as trump as they like because politics and gender spectrums don't have to align. However, I think the point goober is alluding to is the fact that the trump administration is trying to remove the concept of gender fluidity by basing it solely on "biology". Quite what they do with an intersex person I can't wait to see.
  • hunk wrote:
    That video is from 2014? Fuck me, that is some incredible analysis and accurate foresight. Sums up my thoughts on the current fake news phenomenon to a tee.

I've been using it in my political ideology lessons since 2014. Amazing how students are actually pretty aware that this is going on and are highly sceptical of what they're presented with.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    ? I'm probably being an idiot.
    It's an awkward one because a person who identified as transgender can be as trump as they like because politics and gender spectrums don't have to align. However, I think the point goober is alluding to is the fact that the trump administration is trying to remove the concept of gender fluidity by basing it solely on "biology". Quite what they do with an intersex person I can't wait to see.
    I suspect it was sarcasm.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    ? I'm probably being an idiot.
    I suspect it was sarcasm.

Your suspicion would be correct.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Doesn't matter why, it's important to know the ins and outs. When it is this such of matter I just treat everything as matter of fact.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    hunk wrote:

I've been using it in my political ideology lessons since 2014. Amazing how students are actually pretty aware that this is going on and are highly sceptical of what they're presented with.

Missed this above, I have also used Curtis with my senior PSE class. It's amazing how powerful it can be in getting the apathetic to vote.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    It's older than that - certainly much of it was part of the Adam Curtis Vs Massive Attack thing in 2013.  I think about it every single time we get another insane bit of news.
    Bitter Lake was the Massive Attack one wasnt it? About Afghanistan?
    The one they are on about is Hypernormalisation.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Bitter Lake was the Massive Attack one wasnt it? About Afghanistan? The one they are on about is Hypernormalisation.

It was its own thing, though a lot of it later turned up in Oh Dearism II (the bit Yoss posted) and HyperNormalisation (Cauescescu, Trump, Sarkov).  The Massive Attack show (it was a live performance for Manchester International Festival) also had references to previous Curtis stuff, like this essay about Pauline Boty.  It’s official title was “Everything is Going According to Plan”, but I don’t think it was ever properly released in full.

I suppose my point was that Curtis was talking about this stuff before 2014 - though in truth it’s been a recurring theme in his work for much of his career one way or another, I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rouj gets credit for posting that, I just requested someone do so.
  • Aye, Massive Attack use bits and pieces in their live show all the time. The only way to pin it to a time and place is by name checking the original Adam Curtis films.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Bitter Lake was the Massive Attack one wasnt it? About Afghanistan? The one they are on about is Hypernormalisation.
    It was its own thing, though a lot of it later turned up in Oh Dearism II (the bit Yoss posted) and HyperNormalisation (Cauescescu, Trump, Sarkov).  The Massive Attack show (it was a live performance for Manchester International Festival) also had references to previous Curtis stuff, like this essay about Pauline Boty.  It’s official title was “Everything is Going According to Plan”, but I don’t think it was ever properly released in full. I suppose my point was that Curtis was talking about this stuff before 2014 - though in truth it’s been a recurring theme in his work for much of his career one way or another, I guess.
    I bow to your superior knowledge sensei.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Reports of a shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!