Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It looks like Mitt Romney might be positioning himself as a Republican challenger to Trump in 2020.
  • It looks like Mitt Romney might be positioning himself as a Republican challenger to Trump in 2020.

#I'mwithMitt
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's all set for 2020 innit. Mitt Romney - as vile a R as there is out there (half the US is unreachable because they rely on govt handouts).

And a host of D challengers mentioned by the press - with the studious exception of Bernie, who they'd rather didn't exist at all. And Elizabeth Warren to run to cover him a bit.

Won't work. It'll be brutal in 2020. Trump's popularity among his base has grown. Stuff like withdrawing from Syria is gonna help him loads.

And Bernie will soar
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think Romney will run. If he's smart he'll wait till the following elections when Trump hysteria has died down and he's running against a run of the mill Democrat.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Trump's popularity among his base has grown.

What’s this based on? The midterms rather seemed to have supported the argument that Trump’s base is shrinking, however those that remain loyal may feel about him.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Probably the popularity with his base has grown, because they're nutters, but according to stats his base has shrunk, yeah.
  • Kow wrote:
    Probably the popularity with his base has grown, because they're nutters, but according to stats his base has shrunk, yeah.

By stats, do you mean polls? The same polls that had Hilary ahead by an average of 6 points?
  • He probably means the recent elections.
  • I wasn't aware he was running in those.
  • I'm not sure if his base has grown but I'd say it's even more entrenched now than ever. Even with swings to the left in the mid terms, trump will be very hard to get out of office. I'd imagine Elizabeth Warner was the best opponent he could ask for. His base will lap up any of his usual attacks against her. To get a trump you need a trump style person. Oprah is probably the best bet. (I know she has ruled herself out etc.)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Anyway, no one can really defeat trump convincingly and decisively except Bernie or someone on his policy platform.

Because if they win they win against the grain of mainstream support. I think most mainstream outfits would support trump over Bernie /Bernie'. The latter would steal white men off trump, though, and no one could argue the win was part of MSM conspiracy. Or if they did they would be isolated, shrill voices.
  • Lol Oprah. Gtfo.
  • Kow wrote:

By stats, do you mean polls? The same polls that had Hilary ahead by an average of 6 points?

How many did she win by in the end?
  • Oprah vs Trump seems appropriate for the mess that is U.S.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Kow wrote:

How many did she win by in the end?

About 2% IIRC.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Oprah vs Trump seems appropriate for the mess that is U.S.

That's my thinking too. I don't see Oprah as particularly great as a candidate but the presidential race looks to be more and more a race based on the cult of personality. The politicians are the people who the candidates have to work with but I think more and more presidential candidates will be from a celebrity sphere. Many of trumps fans already felt a connection with him through his tv persona. In a country where some idiots thought martin sheen was the president, I won't be surprised if the rock actually runs for the white house at some point (and wins)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    By stats I mean the percentages from the media. I know the Washington Post can't stand Trump but I reckon their figures are about as reliable as any.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For what it’s worth, it looks like we may be heading into a long-predicted, and probably overdue, economic downturn anyway.

All of Trump’s support has continued through good economic times, the only major issues that Trump has faced has been of his own making. If there is a downturn, let’s see how that support holds up.
  • Someone said that the dems winning the mid term gives trump an out for any problems. With his fan base I can see him easily selling any down turn being the democrats fault.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    For some, maybe even most of his base, that may be true, but Trump only just scraped a win against the most unpopular Democratic candidate in memory. He doesn’t need to lose much support to be fucked.
  • The Dem primary is going to be an absolute shitshow, looking forward to it!
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    … the presidential race looks to be more and more a race based on the cult of personality. … I won't be surprised if the rock actually runs for the white house at some point (and wins)

Ronald Reagan. This shit ain’t new.
  • Yeah.
    I would imagine Arnie would have been President or at least run a close race had he been eligible.
  • Arnie probably looks at trump and thinks he should have run all the while insisting that he was eligible and born in a US base in Austria
  • Bernie stories today - via the grauniad - CNN ambushing Bernie with a story about sexual discrimination inside his 2016 camp. This is only the beginning. They're gonna take the Bernie bro angle.
  • 'Course they fucking are, despite him being pretty popular with not white blokes.
  • I saw an idea the other week that Trump might not actually flounder during an economic downturn - more opportunity to blame immigrants and the establishment, more anger to feed off. Normal rules don't apply to him.

My head says that in a normal election he should lose, demographics and all that. I'm not sure the democrats have learned much over the last few years though. I'm not sure anyone has the answers to slow industrial decline.
  • I_R wrote:
    I saw an idea the other week that Trump might not actually flounder during an economic downturn - more opportunity to blame immigrants and the establishment, more anger to feed off. Normal rules don't apply to him.

My head says that in a normal election he should lose, demographics and all that. I'm not sure the democrats have learned much over the last few years though. I'm not sure anyone has the answers to slow industrial decline.

I think if republicans had both houses it could work against him but with the down turn kickingin just as the democrats get some power, I think he will go crazy on blaming them for stopping his great policies. Whether it works or not is hard to say, there's many a YouTube video showing trump fans oblivious to actual truth. Fake news comments are abundant.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t doubt that Trump’s Fox-watching base will believe him, but without independents, he can’t win, and I don’t expect this to work on many of them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!