Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    What's your take on airguns Reg? I used to love shooting cans with my dad. I want to get one again.

I'd own a rifle if I could, I genuinely enjoy target shooting.

I just don't see the point in any type of gun. I know that this will conflate with childhood stuff, games I've played and the like, but learning to literally point and destroy something is antithetical to my thoughts.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a shit on anything you've done, I just have been raised with a particular position on irl guns.

No apologies needed, just wanted to see if you could see the sport side. I've always been fascinated with aiming something to hit a target - catapults as a kid, spud guns, water pistols, then air rifles. I'd love a go at archery.

I've no interest in hunting, I once thought about going to shoot rabbits in the woods behind my parents place but I never did, I'm a big softy. Stick a bullseye up somewhere though, or a row of cans to ding off, and I'm well up for it. My brother and dad could very rarely hit the cans but I'd hit them 90% of the time (iron sights, slightly off so had to get a feel for it). I definitely think I've a knack for shooting, I enjoy it.

Not a leading question but would you feel the same with a bow and arrow?
  • I think it'd definitely scratch the same itch for sure, I'd love to try. Different versions of the same genre right? Like I want to get back into DDR but IIDX will always be my main.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think target shooting or clay pigeon shooting are fine hobbies. I don't see the point really of having a gun for anything else though, or keeping one in your house. Growing up in the countryside we had a variety of shotguns, rifles, airguns and possibly even a handgun around the place. They were never used really and when they were it was for target shooting. That was a long time ago though, and wouldn't be allowed anymore anyway.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My neighbour shoots pheasant. Working class Geordie roofer, so I don't think it's a class thing. They eat the pheasant too, fair play to them I reckon.
  • Here's what America is up against: A large crowd showed up in front of Buffalo City Court in support of the two police officers who pushed over the 75 year old guy.

Wtaf.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh and their police office colleagues applauded them when they left the court room.
  • Apparently the rest of the unit resigned in support of them as well. They're still cops, just resigned from the special unit they were in.
  • Yeah so they're still getting paid too. Absolute joke.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Under his eye, motherfuckers.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Under his eye, motherfuckers.

What?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Handmaiden's Tale?
  • Yes
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Colon Powell has said he'll be voting for Biden, leading to the usual Trump twitter freak out. "overrated blah blah"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :?

Oh that'd a new emoji discovery!

: ?
  • YouTube: keep algorithming that white supremacist bullshit

Also YouTube: have a black lives matter playlist.

• I see my wonderful city has been making the news today! Fuck yes.
  • YouTube: keep algorithming that white supremacist bullshit Also YouTube: have a black lives matter playlist.

Earlier I saw a vid thumbnail pop up from some dude that I'm somewhat sure is a racist dickhead, I see them from time to time but don't click on them to check as I definitely don't want to feed that bullshit. I've seen one thumbnail from that person previously that definitely set off alarm bells for racist grimness, and there's been oblique mentions from another channel that deals with similar subjects (Norse historical and culture studies) about other people in the space that are really applying their own modern fucked up views about culture onto the past.

Algorithmical viewpoint rabbit holing is a super dangerous and scary thing most people should be aware of at this point. If it's not taught in schools it really should be by now.
  • So Mitt Romney joined a Black Lives Matter protest. This is the sign its winning the argument I think.
  • George Floyd: Minneapolis council pledges to dismantle police department.

A majority of Minneapolis City Council has pledged to dismantle the local police department, a significant move amid nationwide protests sparked by George Floyd's death last month.

Nine of the 13 councillors said a "new model of public safety" would be created in a city where law enforcement has been accused of racism.

Mayor Jacob Frey earlier opposed the move, drawing boos from the crowds.

Activists, who for years have defended such a step, called it a turning point.

But commentators say Minneapolis can now expect a long and complex debate over policing....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52960227

How do you have law and order and police it without any police? This was a suprise to me as i had never considered it before but people have looked at doing away with the police entirely and moving to a community based model. I dont see how it would work in reality.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/what-is-defund-police-trnd/index.html

(CNN)There's a growing group of dissenters who believe Americans can survive without law enforcement as we know it. And Americans, those dissenters believe, may even be better off without it.

The solution to police brutality and racial inequalities in policing is simple, supporters say: Just defund police.

It's as straightforward as it sounds: Instead of funding a police department, a sizable chunk of a city's budget is invested in communities, especially marginalized ones where much of the policing occurs.

The concept's been a murmur for years, particularly following the protests against police brutality in Ferguson, Missouri, though it seemed improbable in 2014.

But it's becoming a shout. With the deaths of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor at the hands of police and nationwide protests demanding reform, at least one city is considering dissolving its police force altogether.

Does defunding the police mean disbanding the police?

That depends on who you ask, said Philip McHarris, a doctoral candidate in sociology at Yale University and lead research and policy associate at the Community Resource Hub for Safety and Accountability.

Some supporters of divestment want to reallocate some, but not all, funds away from police departments to social services. Some want to strip all police funding and dissolve departments.

The concept exists on a spectrum, but both interpretations center on reimagining what public safety looks like, he said.

It also means dismantling the idea that police are "public stewards" meant to protect communities. Many Black Americans and other people of color don't feel protected by police, McHarris said.....

Edit: interesting article anout alternatives to policing on rolling stone magazine.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/police-brutality-cop-free-world-protest-199465/

Six Ideas for a Cop-Free World
    As public outrage at police brutality grows, we take a look at a few of the practicable, real-world alternatives to the modern police system.
  • It's fascinating, and I can't quite believe they've done it, in America of all places.

Turns out protests are a real good way of getting noticed?
  • Interesting....do you let off one of the 4 cops involved in george flloyd's death as he was on his fourth day on the job?

Earl Gray, the attorney for Thomas Lane, one of the police officers arrested over the death of George Floyd, defended his client in a heated interview with Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid on ITV Good Morning Britain. Mr Gray said that Mr Lane suggested rolling George Floyd over to Derek Chauvin, the policeman who kneeled on Mr Floyd's neck, but that he wasn't listened to. He said: "Thomas Lane was on his fourth day of being a police officer. Chauvin had 20 years as a police officer." Adding: "My client said twice 'shall we roll him over?'"
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's a shitty situation to be in as an inexperienced guy in that situation, but twice asking politely if you should "roll him over" during the 9 minutes you think your colleagues might be killing him does not absolve you of blame.
  • Also the fear of reprisals for speaking out stops people doing so. If there is a fear of reprisal for not speaking out then thats a motivator for change.
  • It's a shitty situation to be in as an inexperienced guy in that situation, but twice asking politely if you should "roll him over" during the 9 minutes you think your colleagues might be killing him does not absolve you of blame.

But the charge should be lesser than for the other 3 officers right?
  • I think the guy will probably avoid a prison sentence, but it's going to hinge on his statement and how cooperative he is with the investigation. 

It's a shit situation for him because what can he do, given what we know of the way the police behave after events like these? He's day four on the job trying to tell an officer with 20 years service, what would most people do in that situation?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • What it shows is that this was a first degree murder.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • What it shows is that this was a first degree murder.

No it doesn't.
  • It does in Minnesotta. I think.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Roujin wrote:
    I think the guy will probably avoid a prison sentence, but it's going to hinge on his statement and how cooperative he is with the investigation.  It's a shit situation for him because what can he do, given what we know of the way the police behave after events like these? He's day four on the job trying to tell an officer with 20 years service, what would most people do in that situation?

2nd worst way to start a job on the force.
    First being the zombie apocalypse.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!