Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That's fabulous. It'd be mint to play Smash Wii U with, assuming you had a GC pad adaptor.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Jesus feck, they go for a metric fuck-ton on fleabay.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Fucking smash autists, meanwhile my hori sc2 gc stick minty fresh in the box has barely accrued in value at all.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I still can't get my head around Nintendo adding the trip to Brawl just to fuck with the competitive scene. I thought it was a mistake for the latest Halo to chase that crowd so hard but actively trying to shift them off your game is madness.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Nope, Ninty are on record saying that Smash was not meant to be a competitive vs fighter. The trip is intentional, as is the random item drops and the stage transformations when played in its default config.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It baffles the fuck out of me. There's a community that will keep a game selling way past its usual shelf life, that will keep it in the public consciousness in between marketing pushes, that can give another dimension to its appeal, all without getting in the way of the image you want to present to Aunt Tess when she's thinking about a gift for little Bobby (unless she spends hours on Twitch).

Those additions make it worse for normal players (only slightly) and all to fuck over a fanbase that many developers actively try to cultivate. I just don't see the benefit.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's what Yamauchi would've wanted.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Family Computer is the answer.  No inter-family competition thx
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • What is a trip and why is it so bad?
  • No Toshiba on the list. We made the first laptop though apparently.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You should tell Wikipedia.
  • Toshiba SD2300 - DVD player with gaming capability built-in. One of the Nuon machines. Came with Tempest 3000, I think?

Nuon_Lot_13_small.jpg

Also, The Toshiba ShibaSphere …

tumblr_mklhzaccG11rkrgl0o1_1280.jpg
    4AC409B49.png

Sadly, ShibaSphere was an official Toshiba April fool’s gag.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    What is a trip and why is it so bad?

Random chances in your competitive multiplayer aren't desirable:
    http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tripping
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    What is a trip and why is it so bad?

I loved Trip, he gave us the 3DO, and the ability to daisy chain controllers for multiplayer games, no more multitaps
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    No Toshiba on the list. We made the first laptop though apparently.

No Toshiba on the list because as far as I was aware it hadn't made a games machine. Laptops don't count, because of arbitrary decision by me. So nur.

However, Poprock's info on the Nuon-equiped DVD player from Toshiba would count. Again, because Arbitrary So Nur. ;)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Games machine = console != computer
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds about right to me.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    It baffles the fuck out of me. There's a community that will keep a game selling way past its usual shelf life, that will keep it in the public consciousness in between marketing pushes, that can give another dimension to its appeal, all without getting in the way of the image you want to present to Aunt Tess when she's thinking about a gift for little Bobby (unless she spends hours on Twitch).

Those additions make it worse for normal players (only slightly) and all to fuck over a fanbase that many developers actively try to cultivate. I just don't see the benefit.

If Ninty had properly courted the third party big fighting game franchises, then nintendo players wouldn't have had to bastardise something approaching a competitive fighting game out of the settings of smash bros melee, they would all have been on Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear or Marvel and this wouldn't even be an issue today.

The only reason people cling to Melee is because they know Smash isn't/wasnt supposed to be the way it turned out, they hate the newer games because they are the in the minority of smash players even though they are the most vocal and Ninty at best give half a fuck about their input hence the tripping and other elements being added to the game.

Imho they should deal with it and play smash 4 and support the franchise if they love it so much, but they don't, they only care about Melee. Proving that they are fucking manbabies.

If you want a comparison, see 3rd Strike, there are plenty of players who rate it as the best version of SF. Are these people kicking up a storm and smearing their shit up the walls every time SF4 and now 5 are announced as the tournament mainstays of the franchise, no they are not, they dealt with it (there was still bitching at the start, but everyone knew in the end it was for the good of the community to move on, get the new blood in and look to the future and not fracture the playerbase).

In conclusion, fuck Melee. Smash has a place as a franchise, its established now, but the Melee divide is straight retarded and needs to end, selfish players at the top need to recognize their time has come, they missed the esports boat, it isn't coming for them like it wont come for Third Strike. If they want it to happen, they need to work with the current smash community, not alongside it/against it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    In conclusion, fuck Melee. Smash has a place as a franchise, its established now, but the Melee divide is straight retarded and needs to end, selfish players at the top need to recognize their time has come, they missed the esports boat, it isn't coming for them like it wont come for Third Strike. If they want it to happen, they need to work with the current smash community, not alongside it/against it.

Weird place for such a rant, but I agree.

It slowly appears to be balancing out now, but then, I'm merely using Twitch figures to support a hunch.
    Look at the current 'eSports' transition that Capcom are marshalling between SF4 and SF5, it's clear this is a problem that needs a top down solution.

And by the look of things, Nintendo aren't quite yet ready to make that work. I mean, they are certainly trying with this seasonal character initiative and all round balancing, and it does appear to be doing something. 

But they should really put some money behind the events themselves.

It's not been a problem in the past for Nintendo, obviously... Their work with Pokemon, and the legend of the film The Wizard, means they know very well what can potentially work. What's more, with the all round love they've managed to kindle for Splatoon, them mofo's are sitting on something huge.

Perhaps they've accepted that the Wii U is just not established enough to build an eSports 'platform' on...
    Otherwise, they could have just went balls deep on publicising and running an MK8 ('Kart' not 'Kombat').

I dunno...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had no idea a Mortal Kart franchise even existed. Sounds like it could be fun.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Definitely only a problem that could happen with "eSports", as much as I dislike the term. It's a weird balancing act for tournament organisers, deciding which games to support, and when to end that support. StarCraft took ages to drift away from the lime light after SCII turned up, because there was such a dedicated community around the original. For a long time only "mediocre" players were on SCII because the big money remained with SC OG. On the other end of the scale, there's Halo, and MLG definitely switched from 3 to Reach too quickly. Almost makes the yearly launch schedule of Call of Duty look sensible - it's a fast enough turn around that MLG could stick with the version of the game that they liked and skip the duffers. E.g., while CoD4, MW2 and BlOps had their time in the limelight, I don't remember seeing much if anything of MW3, BlOps 2 or Ghosts.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    So, that Konix Multisystem monstrosity? How about the trailer? OVER 4000 COLOURS!

The joystick looks very Nintendo Nunchuck.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Jeff Minter eyes up the Konix Multisystem. You can see Llamasoft listed in the 'upcoming developers' section of the video above. Poor old Mr. Minter, he really does have a history of picking the systems that are going to be super popular.

Jeff-Minter-e-Konix.png?resize=370%2C357
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    So, that Konix Multisystem monstrosity? How about the trailer? OVER 4000 COLOURS! The joystick looks very Nintendo Nunchuck.

I remember seeing this in the plastic at Earls Court.  Can't say I wasn't surprised it never made it to market.
    Get schwifty.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    The joystick looks very Nintendo Nunchuck.
    Joysticks are what Konix did for the most part. That was one of the standard models at the time, for the various computers.

For a short while there was a lot of hype in the magazines back then about the system, probably because it looked something like those big arcade machines, but I guess it became apparent pretty quickly that it wasn't going to be up to much.

In the end, just the practicalities of bringing it into your home at the time and strapping the family TV to it would have put most people off.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So you're saying that it was like Oculus Rift?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    HEYO.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Just found this oddity, the GX4000. Amstrad's first and last attempt at a games machine (and at getting a few more miles out of the aging CPC architecture).

IMG_5736.jpg
  • I had totally forgotten about that machine. Did it ever make it to market?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!