BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nintendo PlayStation prototype working.

Cross-posted to Retro Gaming thread.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    More gubbins from Retro Gamer that made me go "What the fuck is that"/"Oh yeah, I remember that".

From the latter camp, here's the Watara Supervision, a GameBoy competitor that I remember being in the pages of The Laminated Book of Dreams (aka Argos catalogue), and had, until now, completely forgotten about.

s-l1000.jpg

The main selling point seems to be the bendy bit in the middle. Technologically, it seems to be the roughly the same as the GameBoy, but the screen suffers from even more ghosting, rendering fast moving games almost unplayable.

Despite tanking commercially, the machine got a reasonable library of games - sixty six of them, in fact, according to Wikipedia. This means it beats the Neo Geo Pocket in shear numbers by around 25 titles. (If the image is to be believed, even the mighty Treasure made something for it.)

Also in the "Oh, yeah" bracket, this is the Sega Control Stick for the Master System. I remember seeing this and thinking the right-handed version would be quite good for arcadey games, but Retro Gamer shattered those illusions - this is the only version of the controller, and yup, for some reason SEGA decided to put the buttons on the wrong side.

P6010408.jpg

This segues nicely into the following item, and first of the "WTFs". The Control Stick wasn't the first time that SEGA decided to do things in a left-handed style - here's the Sports Pad. Not sure what makes it suitable for sports games, but I'm guessing there weren't many RTSs on the MS.

sppad1.jpg

Final thing for the post, and it's also on the WTF list - the Atari Cosmos. A never-released "handheld", the system used rows of LEDs to illuminate holograms, allowing for glasses-free 3D visuals way before Nintendo got in on the act. (This could go in my 'nothing new under the sun' thread, but people don't seem to like that one, so it'll stay here. ;) ) A few units did make it out into the wild, and are now extremely collectible.

AtariEG500_CosmosHoloptic.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    And I just noticed that the Cosmos also has the d-pad/fire button inverted to how they usually are. *Whistles X-Files theme*
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Also in the "Oh, yeah" bracket, this is the Sega Control Stick for the Master System. I remember seeing this and thinking the right-handed version would be quite good for arcadey games, but Retro Gamer shattered those illusions - this is the only version of the controller, and yup, for some reason SEGA decided to put the buttons on the wrong side.

P6010408.jpg

I have one of those. I have no idea why it's that way round, it takes a bit of getting used to.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had one of those Sega control sticks. It wasn't until years later that I realised why it felt so weird to use.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I have one of those. I have no idea why it's that way round, it takes a bit of getting used to.

I can imagine. It must be like when you accidentally pick up a pair of left handed scissors and suddenly realise how arse-about-face the entire world must be to left-handed people.
  • That hologram system seems like a complete scam. The hologram does fuck all and just turns on a game inside the system!
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    here's the Sports Pad. Not sure what makes it suitable for sports games, but I'm guessing there weren't many RTSs on the MS. sppad1.jpg

On this one as well actually, it offers 360 degree motion as opposed to 8 directional, which would help quite a bit for sports games.

Apparently it's compatible with World Soccer, which is a game I can't see the pad offering any benefit to. Something like Sensi though, yes. But that isn't compatible.

• Blue Swirl wrote:

P6010408.jpg

I had this too, I used it primarily as a 2600 stick for which it was the right way around.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I also have one of those, which I used on my MS.
  • Anyone ever seen this one before:

Bandai Playdia
    Bandai-Playdia-Set-L.jpg

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think I have a Retro Gamer that cover that, I'll try and dig it out.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Awesome, nice find.
  • Who recalls the absolutely mental Steel Battalion controller with 40+ buttons?

Steel_Battalion_controllers.jpg
    PSN ID - s-revill
  • I only ever saw the legend of the Steel Battalion controller through the window of Gamestation.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    SeanySean wrote:
    Who recalls the absolutely mental Steel Battalion controller with 40+ buttons?

My brother had that. No desk though, so slightly comical situation of trying to use it on his knees whilst still having his feet on the pedals.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    SeanySean wrote:
    Who recalls the absolutely mental Steel Battalion controller with 40+ buttons? Steel_Battalion_controllers.jpg

I had a brilliant setup with this. I had my 28" Toshiba TV at the end of the dining table with the controller at the other end. Tried the game about half a dozen times before realising I didn't like it. Sold on eBay for more than I paid for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is it true that if your mech got destroyed in the game before you ejected your game save was deleted?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yep. Proper Hardcore mode.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Is it true that if your mech got destroyed in the game before you ejected your game save was deleted?
    Yep. Proper Hardcore mode.

Cheats (like my brother) would play with the eject button cover permanently up.
  • I like there's a wiper button.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'd like more games with rad controllers. But those MS sticks were righties: we all used our right hands in the '80s.
  • Another I've never heard of before:

Visteon Dockable Entertainment Featuring Game Boy Advance
    Visteon-Dockable-Entertainment-Featuring-Game-Boy-Advance.jpg
    visteon-gameboy.jpg

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Looks like one of those cheap DVD players. Is that thing official?
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Yep, officially licensed by Nintendo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That's awesome!
  • That joypad makes me feel a bit ill.
    SFV - reddave360
  • That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Nice!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!