Sins of the Silicon and Console Curios
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I want that Nintendo cassette player. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    To be fair, when the DS was announced it was this weird looking thing that even Nintendo didn't have confidence in. Remember this was apparantly a third pillar to stand alongside the GameCube and the Game Boy. The PSP was the sexiest console ever made, and looked like a true successor to the GBA.

Ha, yeah, that "third pillar" stuff. Then it turned out to be bigger than Jesus and Nintendo dropped the Game Boy sharpish.
    davyK wrote:
    I want that Nintendo cassette player. :)

It's epic.

Luckily, if you're so inclined, you can get the Famicom Datarecorder. It's not as good looking, but it is a tape deck with Nintendo written on it.

330px-NintendoDataRecorderContents.png
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nah, that looks like a Sanyo.
  • Someone Is Selling Nearly Every Console Ever Made On eBay For 1 Million Dollars

https://kotaku.com/game-collection-ebay-nintendo-sega-sony-microsoft-1849481394
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Holy flirking schnitt.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Indeed. It’s a huge amount of money but I’m also thinking it might actually be low if it is true that it includes practically every console.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    A sound investment.

"Sound".

Fun, though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's just 50 versions of each of these main ones, really? Rather than actual niche devices? Seems a bit dull given you only need one of each to actually play the games? Decidedly meh IMHO!
  • That's cool. 

Not $300 cool though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    This episode of Retro Man Cave about the history of the 3DO sent me down the rabbit hole.

Apparently, there were plans to make a 3DO system that would work in a car. This made me think of the Hitachi Hi-Saturn Navi, a flattened version of Hitachi's version of the Saturn. (I told you it was a rabbit hole.)

Hi-Saturn Navi
    game-car-navi-hisaturn.jpg
    Gotta be the coolest looking Saturn. I love the PSone-esque attachable screen. (Yes, I know the PSone came later, and the PC Engine had a similar screen before, but y'know.) Sadly the screen was sold seperately and is now even harder to find than the host machine.

Hi-Saturn
    product-121096.jpg

The video says the only other console-for-a-car he knows about is the FM Towns Car Marty, which I'd never heard of. Doing some digging, it's a smaller-and-blockier version of the FM Towns Marty, which itself was a FM Towns computer in a console-shaped case. (It was Famitsu's attempt to compete with NEC's (reasonably) successful (in Japan) PC Engine). Simply stuffing a high-end PC in a smaller case resulted in the Town Marty costing $HOWMUCH?, and no one bought one. Stuffing it into an even smaller case so you could use it in your car... had the same problem. But more so.

FM Towns
    FMTOWNS_2F.jpg

FM Towns Marty
    backdrop15.jpg

FM Towns Car Marty
    carmarty.png

Unrelated to the console-for-a-car thing, but discovered during the same link hopping session, the Bandai Playdia. Bandai's attempt to compete in the fifth generation, the plan was to make it low-powered and low-cost, and appeal to kids. Hence the awful colour scheme, I guess. Sadly, they forgot to make it actually good, and no one other than Bandai made games for it.

Bandai Playdia
    backdrop14.jpg
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've never heard of the FM Towns Marty one. I like the look of the grey/white one in the middle, has a bit of a PS3 slim look to it.

I'm still umming and ahhing about getting a WOWCube.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Trying to imagine how well a CD based console would work in a car.
  • Just reminds me of Mad Mike from Pimp my Ride.
    "We put screens here, here, in the headrests, in the glove box, under the car, we got a PlayStation 2 on the wing mirror and a popcorn machine on the steering wheel"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'd love a hot dog maker under the gearstick
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My ancient Volvo's owner's manual describes an optional beer (OK drinks) cooler within the centre console between the front seats.  :)
  • I'd love a hot dog maker under the gearstick

One of the rolling metal bar ones like at the cinema?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'm still umming and ahhing about getting a WOWCube.

Uhhh, guess I probably should have ordered one before the pound crashed against the dollar...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Uhhh, guess I probably should have ordered one before the pound crashed against the dollar...

2016?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Found this by accident, while looking for PC Engine mini controllers. If you're a fan of the PC Engine (and if not, why not?), then you'll be familiar with the CD-ROM2 add-on. (Officially pronounced "CD rom rom". No, really.)

PC Engine
    1199px-NEC-PC-Engine-Console-FL.jpg?20160101143911

CD-ROM2
    411px-CDROM2.jpg

By our powers combined...
    Nec_CD_Rom_2_retropixl_retrogaming_2.jpg?v=1499747358

While the FM Towns Marty above was an example of using PC technology to make a console, here we have an example of using console technology to add to a PC.

The NEC PC-8801 MC released in 1989, a year after the CD-ROM2 add-on made the PC Engine the first console to use CDs.

Here's the standard "Model 1" version. Check out the dual floppy drives! Phwoar. The future is now!
    apc8801mc1_s.jpg

Here's the upgraded "Model 2" version.
    apc8801mc_main_s.jpg

Check out that optical drive. Yup, it's the CD-ROM2 sitting where the cover used to be. Although this time it's just called CD-ROM, because PCs are serious business, I guess? Model 1 users could buy the optical drive seperately if they wanted to.

Sadly, if this website (fed through Google Translate) is to be believed, the console and PC versions of the CD drive aren't quite the same, so they couldn't be used interchangeably.

Console version left, PC version right.
    apc8801mc2_s.jpg

With the correct hardware (middle right in the image below), you could use the drive with other NEC desktops, albeit not quite as elegantly.
    apc8801mc5_s.png

You can imagine the meeting at NEC headquarters. They need a desktop PC with a CD drive to keep up with the competition. To save money, they just take the one they already have and tweak it a bit, rather than desigining a new one from the ground up.

"Johnson, that's why we pay you the big bucks."
  • I got a PC Engine Mini, such a shame it doesn't seem to be hackable as there's so many games in its library I'd like to play.

I'll never forget the Mean Machines size comparison with the pack of Skip crisps.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I got a PC Engine Mini, such a shame it doesn't seem to be hackable as there's so many games in its library I'd like to play.

It makes up for it by being perhaps the best mini console. (IMHO, YMMV.)

Two things struck me about my post above: why am I looking for extra PC Engine mini controllers, when I don't have any friends? Also, why have they blurred the image at the top right of the magazine ad? Now all I can see is some horrific choad.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I got a PC Engine Mini, such a shame it doesn't seem to be hackable as there's so many games in its library I'd like to play.

It makes up for it by being perhaps the best mini console. (IMHO, YMMV.)

Two things struck me about my post above: why am I looking for extra PC Engine mini controllers, when I don't have any friends? Also, why have they blurred the image at the top right of the magazine ad? Now all I can see is some horrific choad.

Re controllers, I always ended up buying extra joy pads in the nieve belief that many of my friends would be up for games when they came over but really this was only true of the n64 and ps2 eras for me. Was a plus point for the series s that I didn't need to get the extra controllers (but still got an extra black one in the new style because. )
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I never believed my console collection was complete without at least a 2nd controller - even now when the odds of any MP action on what I have except for Switch and Wii are highly unlikely.

I have 4 bloody arcade sticks for my Dreamcast!  Has been used a couple of times - had a Doubles Virtua Tennis event in work.

I cycle my controllers though , mimimises wear and tear.
  • Have to fight the temptation to get a coloured up microsoft labs controller. Absolute waste of money... but I do want one.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    WOWCube early bird offers end in 24 hours and the pound has recovered a bit... [gulp] guess it's decision time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I ordered one. Someone needs to confiscate my debit card.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I was literally looking at Virtual Boy consoles on eBay earlier, I need help.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!